A new religion, IF THERE WAS A GOD:

A new religion, IF THERE WAS A GOD:

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
26 Jun 14

Originally posted by RJHinds
No, I have never denied the miraculous nature of those events. I even made a thread titled: Proof of the Supernatural. All I am saying is that miraculous events by God played a part in forming the natural world as we see it today. Noah's flood was caused by the supernatural hand of God working on the natural things He had created. God is not bound by the laws He created, but He can use those laws, if He wishes, to perform His purposes.
Your so-called god may be supernatural but the matter here on Earth is anything but. If you go about squashing a mountain together like we see all over the Earth you are going to have to deal with consequences like heat. All the frigging water on Earth won't cool down a continent squashing into each other in a time span of a few thousand years.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
26 Jun 14

Originally posted by sonhouse
Your so-called god may be supernatural but the matter here on Earth is anything but. If you go about squashing a mountain together like we see all over the Earth you are going to have to deal with consequences like heat. All the frigging water on Earth won't cool down a continent squashing into each other in a time span of a few thousand years.
When did you ever see anybody squash a mountain? I have never seen such a thing. That must have been something your read in those Egyptian creation myths.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
27 Jun 14
2 edits

When did you ever see anybody squash a mountain? I have never seen such a thing. That must have been something your read in those Egyptian creation myths.
I am talking about continents crashing into one another which is what creates mountains in the first place. In the deep past before continents started crunching into one another, there were no mountains. They came about because the flat lands of the new continents started moving around on Earth and would inevitably crash into one another eventually .

When they did, one continent starts sliding under the other, which we call the subduction zone, which we see happening even today. But that movement is only an inch a year or so. Your timetable would push that time down from millions of years to what, 10? A million times faster, subduction happening a million inches per year? That is just plain nuts. That would be conservative in any event, miles and miles per year. With the friction of an entire subduction zone getting hotter and hotter and more and more violent earthquakes. It didn't happen that way because we can analyze the rocks and would have seen much more flowing rock events, rocks that were heated to the heat of a volcano but thousands of miles wide. That never happened.

The one on top now starts buckling forming mountains. You can see how the mountains have 180 degree bends in them which only happens when they are heated up to plasticity, able to bend and not shatter. If that happened in 6K years the heat could not have spread out fast enough and would have heated the whole mountain possibly to the melting point and that would create vast areas with no life. That didn't happen so you can be sure those mountains took millions of years to gradually get in the shape they are now.

If what you think actually happened there wouldn't be mountains at all, just large horizontal layers of melted rock that might rise a couple hundred feet but there would be no mountains.

Think about the energy expended in the 2011 Japan earthquake, a Richter 9 event. Just a few miles of sliding rock. Think about what would probably be more like a Richter 20 event happening continuously for however many years you think it would have taken to have driven up those mountains like in the Alps. They were stately slow moving events and would have been way too hot to even have been able to create a mountain in the first place.

But you continue to ignore any ideas like that, thermodynamics out the window, just like you think the moon was cooled off by water.

You have your head so screwed on backwards you can't think independently any more and can now only rely on your creationist video crew who keeps filling you with insidious lies.

Cape Town

Moves
27 Jun 14

This is not the Science Forum. Go there and ask about water cooling by evaporation.
I am not asking because I don't know. I am asking because I want to see if you know.
You asked me:
Are you willingly ignorant that water cools?

When the reality is, that you don't understand it yourself. So are you willingly ignorant?

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
27 Jun 14

That wasn't a bad troll to be honest .. I rate that one 6 out of ten

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
27 Jun 14

I am talking about continents crashing into one another which is what creates mountains in the first place. In the deep past before continents started crunching into one another, there were no mountains. They came about because the flat lands of the new continents started moving around on Earth and would inevitably crash into one another eventually .

Wh ...[text shortened]... and can now only rely on your creationist video crew who keeps filling you with insidious lies.
I already told you that water can cool things down. Just ask your local weatherman if it gets hotter or colder when there is a rain storm and it floods.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
27 Jun 14

Originally posted by twhitehead
I am not asking because I don't know. I am asking because I want to see if you know.
You asked me:
Are you willingly ignorant that water cools?

When the reality is, that you don't understand it yourself. So are you willingly ignorant?
What does it matter to you anyway. Don't you consider it all just a big joke?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
27 Jun 14

I already told you that water can cool things down. Just ask your local weatherman if it gets hotter or colder when there is a rain storm and it floods.
So tell me how water cools things down. Like the moon.

Cape Town

Moves
27 Jun 14

It depends on the location and the relative temperature of the rain and the ground. Rain can warm things up.
Where I live, near the sea, the winters are much milder than further inland because of the warming influence of the ocean.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
27 Jun 14

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-27702401

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
27 Jun 14

Originally posted by twhitehead
It depends on the location and the relative temperature of the rain and the ground. Rain can warm things up.
Where I live, near the sea, the winters are much milder than further inland because of the warming influence of the ocean.
Well, I live in Georgia and it cools things down here, even in the winter.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
27 Jun 14

Originally posted by DeepThought
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-27702401
So Jesus said to them, “Because of your unbelief; for assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you.

(Matthew 17:20 NKJV)

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
27 Jun 14

[b]So Jesus said to them, “Because of your unbelief; for assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you.

(Matthew 17:20 NKJV)[/b]
Well I notice, JC and the boys never moved a mountain. He was speaking rhetorically. He knew dam good and well NO human would ever be able to move mountains without a LOT of shovels.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
28 Jun 14

Well I notice, JC and the boys never moved a mountain. He was speaking rhetorically. He knew dam good and well NO human would ever be able to move mountains without a LOT of shovels.
However, he was pointing out that it was not impossible to move a mountain. You Just put your faith in the shovel method to do it over long periods of time.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
28 Jun 14

However, he was pointing out that it was not impossible to move a mountain. You Just put your faith in the shovel method to do it over long periods of time.
Which is exactly what made it a rhetorical statement, not meant to be taken literally. Just like the flood tale or creation taking 6 days.