1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    15 Jun '08 20:44
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Okay, the reason why I don't want to fall into the questions and counterquestions game is that (and you guessed it) my view has nothing to do with it. My mind is made up, I know the answer, *my* answer. (What is *your* answer?)

My question to you is how you can put the two postulates (1) "God is good" and (2) "God killed nearly all of humanity in one g ...[text shortened]... illed nearly all humanity in one go in the great flooding, because... (your answer here)"
    Okay. There it is. As you said, you have made up you mind. It's up to me to change your mind. I have to come up with a reason why God was justified in killing off everything except 8 people and 2 of every kind of animal so compelling that you would be immediately converted, or else I'm just wasting our time.

That's funny. If such an argument exists I sure ain't the one that thought of it.

You're an atheist, right? So the whole thing is just a bunch of hewie to you anyway. So I need a bit of help. All you gotta do is use your imagination. You've read science fiction. Isaac Asimov, Philip Jose Farmer, and the like. I have. It's fun to explore the imagination.
    Well, just imagine that there is a being called God that possesses all the characteristics of an eternal, all powerful, all knowing, and what all kind of being. I can't do it. Who can fathom such a being? Well, that's who God is. That's what He is.
    So, this being creates a universe and a world and populates it with beings like Himself. Are you with me so far? Now these creatures decided they are gonna do what ever they want to do without regard for the one that created them. They kill each other. They steal. They lie. They cheat. Pretty soon it gets so bad that the creator has to step in and do something to stop the chaos before they destroy themselves completely. Now from the perspective of the created beings this seems unfair. But from the perspective of the creator things look a bit different. It's hard to imagine how it appears to the creator considering the created are not in possession of the same qualities and attributes as the one that created them. But nevertheless they had been warned repeatedly for over a hundred years that it was going to rain hard.
    They didn't listen. They laughed and scoffed. The creator regretted He had even created them. The creator knew in His omniscience that He was the life giver, and that without Him there was no life. He wanted to give those He created eternal life, but they were more interested in going their own way than listen to the one that knew what was best for them. As a matter of fact those beings thoughts, which the creator knew, became down right evil all the time. Everyone of them. And what was even worse than all that was that there were other beings called angles, that the creator had made, that had intermingled with the earth bound beings which only polluted the peoples blood lines as well.
    It was a mess. What was the creator to do? The only thing He could do! Find someone undefiled that the creator knew trusted Him. And so the creator wiped the slate clean. But He promised He would never do it again the same way. Next time it will be with fire.
  2. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    15 Jun '08 20:49
    Originally posted by josephw
    You're an atheist, right? So the whole thing is just a bunch of hewie to you anyway. So I need a bit of help. All you gotta do is use your imagination. You've read science fiction. Isaac Asimov, Philip Jose Farmer, and the like. I have. It's fun to explore the imagination.
    Dude, I fantasise about wielding a lightsabre and saving Princess Leia in a bronze coloured bikini most evenings whilst I play with myself...

Doesn't mean I actually really believe Jabba da Hutt exists...
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Jun '08 20:49
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    ‘God’ is supposed to be an all powerful being which means he can literally do anything.
    So can he create a weight that is too heavy for him/her to lift?
    If the answer is yes then one thing god cannot do is lift such a weight.
    If the answer is no then one thing god cannot do is create such a weight.
    Either way, there is at least one thing he/she ...[text shortened]... overwhelming evidence that we evolved so that there is no reason to believe that god created us?
    God can do anything that can be done, things like drawing a
    square circle no.
    Kelly
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    15 Jun '08 21:14
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Dude, I fantasise about wielding a lightsabre and saving Princess Leia in a bronze coloured bikini most evenings whilst I play with myself...

Doesn't mean I actually really believe Jabba da Hutt exists...
    Dudester, you just inadvertently revealed why you are unaware of God's existence.

Focus on reality. Give up the fantasy. Then you won't have to make it up as you go, or come. 😲

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree