A relative failure

A relative failure

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
22 Mar 07
1 edit

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
The limit you describe does not exist, because the function n(x)-(x/3) oscillates; it does not grow arbitrarily close to 0 as x increases.
\lim_{n\to\infty}-\frac{1}{n}=0 and -\frac{1}{n} oscillates.
and how do you know that it won't go to 0?
this is a serious question not some kind of a shot at you.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
22 Mar 07
2 edits

Originally posted by adam warlock
and how do you that it won't go to 0?
I think you have to use the Schnirelmann density, not asymptotic density.

As I said before, Scribbles asked you to describe what Leaky said (and you did that correctly), not to correct what he said.

PS: Yes, I looked it up in the Internet.

Edit2: So I'm probably wrong, anyway. 😛

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
22 Mar 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Palynka
I think you have to use the Schnirelmann density, not asymptotic density.

As I said before, Scribbles asked you to describe what Leaky said, not to correct what he said.

PS: Yes, I looked it up in the Internet.
the describe thing is a good point. and that's what i've tried to do.
but his point that the limit doesn't exist cause the function oscillates isn't true.
and by the way: never heard of the other density... 😕 😳

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
22 Mar 07

and how do you that it won't go to 0?
Those are different limits than the one you described before.

The limit you described before was the limit as x approaches infinity of n(x)-(x/3).

Consider three cases:
Case 1: If x is divisible by three, n(x)-(x/3) = 0.
Case 2: If x+1 is divisible by three, n(x)-(x/3) = -2/3
Case 3: If x+2 is divisble by three, n(x)-(x/3) = -1/3

The values of the function in question are independent of the magnitude of x, and clearly oscillate between three values no matter how large x grows. In the language of epsilon-delta proofs, if you choose e to be .01, there exists no d such that x>d implies that |f - 0| < e.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
22 Mar 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Palynka
You asked him to describe what Leaky said, not to correct what he said.
I asked him to formalize what ChronicLeaky meant by close to x/3.

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
22 Mar 07

Those are different limits than the one you described before.

The limit you described before was the limit as x approaches infinity of n(x)-(x/3).

Consider three cases:
Case 1: If x is divisible by three, n(x)-(x/3) = 0.
Case 2: If x+1 is divisible by three, n(x)-(x/3) = -2/3
Case 3: If x+2 is divisble by three, n(x)-(x/3) = -1/3

The v ...[text shortened]... lta proofs, if you choose e to be .01, there exists no d such that x>d implies that |f - 0| < e.
ok.that's all right. but you saying that the limit doesn't exist cause the function oscillates is wrong!

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
22 Mar 07

ok.that's all right. but you saying that the limit doesn't exist cause the function oscillates is wrong!
Then what is your definition of limit, and what is your proof that it exists in this case?

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
22 Mar 07

Then what is your definition of limit, and what is your proof that it exists in this case?
my definition of limit is the usual weierstrass one. i don't know that the limit exists. i just tried to formalize what chronicleaky said. i didn't payed much attention to correctness because i didn't think you wanted that.
in this case the function oscillates and the limit doesn't exist. but that's different than saying that because a function oscillates its limit doesn't exist.

and if the ratio is actually close to 1/3 that formalization has to be right.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
22 Mar 07
2 edits

i just tried to formalize what chronicleaky said. i didn't payed much attention to correctness because i didn't think you wanted that.
Formalization does not consist in converting words to symbols.

Formalization consists in taking an idea and making it a precise proposition subject to formal analysis.

What you have done is taken ChronicLeaky's words, rendered them as a symbolic proposition about a limit, found that the proposition was not sensible, and concluded that your formalization was correct and that his idea was incorrect. In actuality, it is your formalization that is incorrect.

C
Don't Fear Me

Reaping

Moves
22 Mar 07
1 edit

I don't know what I said. What I meant to say is:

Let S be a set of positive integers. Let S(x) = {n | n is in S and n < x}, for each positive real x. Then clearly |S(x)| increases (not necessarily strictly) with x. Also, |S(x)|/x is bounded above by 1 and by 0 below.

The asymptotic density of S in the integers is defined as the limit as x approaches infinity of |S(x)|/x.

The Schnirelmann density is the infimum of |S(n)|/n for natural numbers n.

In some cases, these agree. For example, the set of even numbers has asymptotic density 1/2 and Schnirelmann density 1/2. However, there are sets for which the Schnirelmann density exists and the asymptotic density does not, but none has been mentioned in this thread.

Finally, the asymptotic density can be a bit misleading. It's often better to find some real function f(x) such that |S(x)|/f(x) is bounded by a constant, or even better, approaches 1. This gives a more precise measurement. For example, the perfect squares and the primes both have asymptotic density 0, but for the former, f(x) = x^1/2 while for the latter, f(x) = x/log x. This shows there are "more" primes than squares in a way the asymptotic density does not.

Note I said the PROPORTION tends to 1/3. The limit you're talking about should be of N(x)/x - 1/3, not N(x) - x/3.

EDIT I'd like to know where the Spirituality is here.

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
22 Mar 07

Originally posted by ChronicLeaky
I don't know what I said. What I meant to say is:

Let S be a set of positive integers. Let S(x) = {n | n is in S and n < x}, for each positive real x. Then clearly |S(x)| increases (not necessarily strictly) with x. Also, |S(x)|/x is bounded above by 1 and by 0 below.

The asymptotic density of S in the integers is defined as the limit as x app ...[text shortened]... of N(x)/x - 1/3, not N(x) - x/3.

EDIT I'd like to know where the Spirituality is here.
right on the limit thing. my mistake ...but i guess you know what i meant 😳
and if we make 1/3 three on my formalization everything is ok isnt it?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
22 Mar 07
1 edit

Originally posted by ChronicLeaky
I'd like to know where the Spirituality is here.
Hopefully the number of participants in this thread who have experienced mathematical humility in the presence of a higher power is greater than zero.

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
22 Mar 07

Formalization does not consist in converting words to symbols.

Formalization consists in taking an idea and making it a precise proposition subject to formal analysis.

What you have done is taken ChronicLeaky's words, rendered them as a symbolic proposition about a limit, found that the proposition was not sensible, and concluded that your form ...[text shortened]... ect and that his idea was incorrect. In actuality, it is your formalization that is incorrect.
sometimes formalization is just that....i never concluded his idea was incorrect just your oscillation point.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
22 Mar 07

sometimes formalization is just that....
You mean during those times before the Big Bang?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
22 Mar 07

Hopefully the number of participants in this thread who have experienced mathematical humility in the presence of a higher power is greater than zero.
Hey Scribs, do you remember the riddle where there are infinite row of seeds being planted and two birds eating them at different speeds?

Can't we use Leaky's method of finding f(x) such that|S(x)|/ f(x) is bounded by a constant to choose between one of the two rows?