Abiogenesis

Abiogenesis

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lord Chook

Stringybark

Moves
13 Mar 05

Originally posted by Darfius
Then I would have to believe that it only stumbled upon that urge once, correct? Or did natural selection weed out the methods of replication that were...unsavory?
Can one have a method of replication that is unsavoury? Surely whatever method evolves, the organism gets used to it and therefore doesn't place any moral judgements on their replication method. That would be sensible...but then why did the Church get so hung up about sex???

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
13 Mar 05

Good point. What's an "unsavory" method of reproduction?

Lord Chook

Stringybark

Moves
13 Mar 05
1 edit

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
[b]Well, for one thing, if life did spontaneously come into being and didn't reproduce, you wouldn't know anything about it. As far as I know, cells don't leave fossils. Am I incorrect?
[/b]Only this once!

Many cells do leave fossil evidence. A common one is a diatom, which is a unicellular algae. For a photo and some information see: http://www.indiana.edu/~diatom/diatom.html

Another nice site is: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/GeolSci/micropal/

The build up over thousands of years of dead diatoms can help demonstrate that the age of the earth is considerably older than the creationist claimed 6000 years. Unless of course diatoms multiplied thousands of times faster in the past than they do today. Which given the fossil record shows that they are identical to many of today's diatoms, seems highly unlikely.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
13 Mar 05

Originally posted by Nemesio
I am guessing because we haven't been at it for a billion years, or
because we haven't simulated the original conditions properly or
any of another million different variables that we can only guess at
because we weren't there 4 billion years ago.

Here is an interesting link, Darfius, that might answer some of your
questions about it.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/abioprob/

Nemesio
Neither has nature, but that is another debate. Another point is
can it be done without a plan, a purpose, and a design?
Kelly

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
13 Mar 05

Originally posted by Nemesio
DAMN!

It was so obvious and I didn't think about it!

Fraunhaufer lines! Of course!

DUH! Doesn't everyone know about them?

Nemesio

P.S., I don't understand more than 33% of your post
if you didn't catch that I was being sarcastic. 😉 I'm
just as much at sea as I was before you posted. 🙁
well i did , in my haste to be helpful, misspelll Fraunhofer.
and Im stll not sure if thats what they use. The point was that however it's done, they say they are picking up signs of the building blocks for life in interstellar space.

call Fraunhofer lines ,,, marks on a rainbow .. each element has its own characteristic line.. Carbon in one place Oxygen in another... if a particle of light carries both lines ,, it shows the presence of a molecule based on carbon and oxygen.

The Apologist

Moves
13 Mar 05

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Good point. What's an "unsavory" method of reproduction?
I used the word unsavory to stress that Nature would have had to have been completely objective in natural selection.

PD

Arizona, USA

Moves
13 Mar 05

I am old enough to remember when Graham Cairns-Smith published his idea that crystals in clay were intimately involved in the very beginnings of life. I am not competent to judge the liklihood of his ideas being correct.

Here is a website I just found when searching for "Cairns-Smith":

http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/L/lifeorigin.html

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
13 Mar 05
1 edit

I used the word unsavory to stress that Nature would have had to have been completely objective in natural selection.
selection is about viability ..organisms survive because they can the ones that can't ,,simply can't.
Viability is simply how much change in the environment an organism can take before it cant survive.
Assigning supernatural force to natural processes is what polytheism is all about. what is the difference in assigning an individual force for each process and just one for all processes? The concept is the same.

Lord Chook

Stringybark

Moves
14 Mar 05

You are implyin g that 'Nature' is some intelligent being (God perhaps). Nature is not objective, or subjective in natural selection. It just 'is'.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
14 Mar 05

Originally posted by Maustrauser
You are implyin g that 'Nature' is some intelligent being (God perhaps). Nature is not objective, or subjective in natural selection. It just 'is'.
Lol @ perhaps