1. Colorado
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 20:07
    Originally posted by LordOfTheChessboard
    Yes but if god does not need a cause you dont need one either.
    I believe this to be true. Both we and God are eternal. You suggest that because of this reason it doesn’t matter if we kill each other or not. From an atheists perspective you would have a point. To believe in God though is to believe that he put us here for a reason. So what right do we have to deny another their God given time here on Earth.
  2. Standard memberwib
    Stay outta my biznez
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 20:09
    Originally posted by The Chess Express
    I believe this to be true. Both we and God are eternal. You suggest that because of this reason it doesn’t matter if we kill each other or not. From an atheists perspective you would have a point. To believe in God though is to believe that he put us here for a reason. So what right do we have to deny another their God given time here on Earth.
    So you're against the death penalty?

(Just thought I'd throw a little more fuel on the fire)
  3. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    28 Oct '05 06:04
    Originally posted by wib
    So you're against the death penalty?

(Just thought I'd throw a little more fuel on the fire)
    lol

Just to add a little more of my fuel to the debate, those who disagree with me, where would you say life starts then?
  4. Joined
    07 Jan '05
    Moves
    28 Oct '05 06:50
    Originally posted by aardvarkhome
    And you're proof is?

Yeah, right, bible word of cod, blah blah blah claptrap
    looks like you are getting the picture now aardvarkhome? 🙂
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    28 Oct '05 07:00
    Originally posted by Halitose
    lol

Just to add a little more of my fuel to the debate, those who disagree with me, where would you say life starts then?
    where would you say life starts then?

Are you sure this is the proper question to be addressing? It seems to me that we need to focus on when the fetus becomes morally considerable. If the fetus lacks consciousness*, then how is it morally considerable? The fetus is unconscious in the same way a rock is. I don't think the young fetus is morally considerable. Unlike the rock, the young fetus does of course possess the capacity for developing consciousness; but this doesn't change the fact that the young fetus is not morally considerable as a young fetus. It cannot suffer, if that's what you're worried about.

*I would say also viability, but I'm not sure that viability is a necessary condition for moral considerability (e.g., siamese twins).
  6. Standard memberchancremechanic
    Islamofascists Suck!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Oct '05 07:04
    Originally posted by princessleah
    choice or life?
    Niether..it's legalized murder except under the most drastic situations....
  7. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    28 Oct '05 07:06
    Originally posted by chancremechanic
    Niether..it's legalized murder except under the most drastic situations....
    I'm curious, would you say the same thing about taking the "morning after" pill?
  8. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    28 Oct '05 07:26
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    [b]where would you say life starts then?

Are you sure this is the proper question to be addressing? It seems to me that we need to focus on when the fetus becomes morally considerable. If the fetus lacks consciousness*, then how is it morally considerable? The fetus is unconscious in the same way a rock is. I don't think the young fetus is mor ...[text shortened]... ot sure that viability is a necessary condition for moral considerability (e.g., siamese twins).[/b]
    Consciousness, you say? So it is then morally permissible to kill your brother who's in a coma; or your senile grandmother; or the inebriated junkie on the street; or when you are asleep at night? What is so mystical about birth that you can't apply the same reasoning to somebody who has crossed this barrier?
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    28 Oct '05 07:29
    Consciousness, you say? So it is then morally permissible to kill your brother who's in a coma; or your senile grandmother; or the inebriated junkie on the street; or when you are asleep at night? What is so mystical about birth that you can't apply the same reasoning to somebody who has crossed this barrier?
    Here we go again .............. over to you, Bbarr!
  10. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    28 Oct '05 07:30
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    [b]where would you say life starts then?

Are you sure this is the proper question to be addressing? It seems to me that we need to focus on when the fetus becomes morally considerable. If the fetus lacks consciousness*, then how is it morally considerable? The fetus is unconscious in the same way a rock is. I don't think the young fetus is mor ...[text shortened]... ot sure that viability is a necessary condition for moral considerability (e.g., siamese twins).[/b]
    Viability is directly related to the medical technology of the time, I don't think this is a very concrete measuring stick. If a fetus is viable at 18 weeks, why is 3rd trimester abortion still an option.
  11. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    28 Oct '05 07:32
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Here we go again .............. over to you, Bbarr!
    I'd love to get Bbarr's philosophical perspective on this one...
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    28 Oct '05 07:33
    Viability is directly related to the medical technology of the time, I don't think this is a very concrete measuring stick. If a fetus is viable at 18 weeks, why is 3rd trimester abortion still an option.
    It isn't in all States in the US except to save the mother's life or health.
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    28 Oct '05 07:34
    I'd love to get Bbarr's philosophical perspective on this one...
    He's stated it many times including today in the abortion thread in Debates. I'll try to find it and play Charlie McCarthy if you want.
  14. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    28 Oct '05 07:35
    It isn't in all States in the US except to save the mother's life or health.
    Fair enough, but aren't you detracting from the argument, I wasn't saying that everybody is doing it.
  15. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    28 Oct '05 07:37
    He's stated it many times including today in the abortion thread in Debates. I'll try to find it and play Charlie McCarthy if you want.
    Thanks

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree