1. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    28 Oct '05 09:361 edit
    Originally posted by Halitose
    I'll need to look into the potentiality debate then... I, however contend that consciousness is not the prerequisite for personhood.
    I think that too , as I have read dj and bf101 and they are both persons.
  2. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    28 Oct '05 09:38
    Originally posted by bbarr
    So, you think that an object that completely lacks even the capacity for consciousness, and hence cannot, even in principle, suffer, nevertheless can have rights?
    Well, I think there is a fine line between capacity and potential, and it is this potential IMO that should not be denied its right to life.
  3. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    28 Oct '05 09:39
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    I think that too , as I have read dj and bf101 and they are both persons.
    ROTFL
  4. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    28 Oct '05 09:41
    Originally posted by bbarr
    So, you think that an object that completely lacks even the capacity for consciousness, and hence cannot, even in principle, suffer, nevertheless can have rights?
    The right to life... especially given the potential to gain or regain its cognitive capacity.
  5. Meddling with things
    Moves
    28 Oct '05 10:00
    Well, I think there is a fine line between capacity and potential, and it is this potential IMO that should not be denied its right to life.
    What is the 'right to life'?

I think we have a right to protection from being killed but we don't have a right to life
  6. Meddling with things
    Moves
    28 Oct '05 10:01
    By the same reasoning, having been a child warrants discussion on abortion.
    I may have to concede that point
  7. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    28 Oct '05 10:05
    Originally posted by aardvarkhome

I think we have a right to protection from being killed but we don't have a right to life
    I think that is one of the fundamental differences between the theist and atheist: the basic right to - and sanctity of life.
  8. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    28 Oct '05 10:06
    I may have to concede that point
    😉
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    28 Oct '05 10:08

Where do you draw the line?

When is a person alive and when is a person dead?
  10. Meddling with things
    Moves
    28 Oct '05 10:14
    I think that is one of the fundamental differences between the theist and atheist: the basic right to - and sanctity of life.
    How can I enforce my 'right to life'? No matter how you measure the value of life none of us get out alive in the long run.
  11. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    28 Oct '05 10:52
    How can I enforce my 'right to life'? No matter how you measure the value of life none of us get out alive in the long run.
    How can I enforce my 'right to life'?

Ultimately, you can’t enforce your rights, they are given to you, by government or God; however, you will fight for it, when faced with death (suicide bombers excluded).

No matter how you measure the value of life none of us get out alive in the long run.

True, but why would this belittle the value of life, to the contrary its fragility makes it that much more precious. Nothing is sacred that cannot be desecrated.
  12. Meddling with things
    Moves
    28 Oct '05 12:12
    [b]How can I enforce my 'right to life'?

Ultimately, you can’t enforce your rights, they are given to you, by government or God; however, you will fight for it, when faced with death (suicide bombers excluded).

No matter how you measure the value of life none of us get out alive in the long run.

True, but why would this belittle the va ...[text shortened]... ary its fragility makes it that much more precious. Nothing is sacred that cannot be desecrated.[/b]
    I suspect we agree in a round about way.

Any right which is undeliverable or u8nenforcable is not a right, whether that right is a construct of humans or if it is a 'god given' right.

Nothing I have said belittles the value of life. I can think of nothing with higher value.
  13. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    28 Oct '05 12:22
    Originally posted by telerion
    Well, at least we can be very certain that matter exists so LotC still has one up on you.
    Well at least there are some people that argue that man is not simply matter...
  14. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    28 Oct '05 12:341 edit
    I suspect we agree in a round about way.

Any right which is undeliverable or u8nenforcable is not a right, whether that right is a construct of humans or if it is a 'god given' right.

Nothing I have said belittles the value of life. I can think of nothing with higher value.

My bad. I read too deeply into your post...

I think the right to life is enforcable; doesn't a murderer get punished when he violates another's right? When applying this to abortion, I fail to see the difference.
  15. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    28 Oct '05 13:372 edits
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I believe abortion is very often ethical. I come to this conclusion from a hedonistic utilitirian perspective. Suffering will not be increased overall if abortion occurs in many or most situations.
    Do you apply your hedonistic ethic across the board, or limit it to abortion? Will overall suffering not be decreased if one were to mercifully exterminate the malnutritioned children in Ethiopia who are hours away from certain death? Surely, then any killing which does not increase suffering would be justified.

What about Post Abortion Syndrome and abortion-related depression? Are these not forms of suffering? What about a second or third trimester abortion where the fetus experiences excruciating agony while being torn to pieces or consumed by saline in the womb?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree