1. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    20 Feb '06 12:14
    I'm interested to hear from any Christians that care to share, on experiences they have had which could not, in any other possible way, be attributed to some other cause. Please think about what you are about to write, I'd like the relaying of these experiences to be as detailed as possible.
  2. London
    Moves
    20 Feb '06 13:27
    Originally posted by Starrman
    I'm interested to hear from any Christians that care to share, on experiences they have had which could not, in any other possible way, be attributed to some other cause. Please think about what you are about to write, I'd like the relaying of these experiences to be as detailed as possible.
    Tell us how you know for certain that you are male, which cannot be attributed to some other cause - and we'll tell you our experiences.
  3. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    20 Feb '06 13:32
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Tell us how you know for certain that you are male, which cannot be attributed to some other cause - and we'll tell you our experiences.
    The notion of gender relies on the presence of particular chromosomes, the fact that I have one X and one Y chromosome and not two X chromosomes makes me male. The fact that I am male cannot be demonstrated as having any other basis.

Why the reluctance and why the need for a clarification on the nature of gender?
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    20 Feb '06 13:35
    To some other cause than... ?
  5. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    20 Feb '06 13:36
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    To some other cause than... ?
    Sorry, yes, my post should have been clearer. I meant expereiences of god.
  6. London
    Moves
    20 Feb '06 13:37
    The notion of gender relies on the presence of particular chromosomes, the fact that I have one X and one Y chromosome and not two X chromosomes makes me male. The fact that I am male cannot be demonstrated as having any other basis.

Why the reluctance and why the need for a clarification on the nature of gender?
    How do you know you have one X and one Y chromosome? Have you ever had a test done? If so, how do you know the test results are reliable?

The nature of gender was just incidental - I just wanted to pick something I knew you would be sure about before subjecting it to Cartesian doubt.
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    20 Feb '06 13:42
    Sorry, yes, my post should have been clearer. I meant expereiences of god.
    Canon of Scripture.
    Existence of Jews.
    All of Creation.
    Time.
    That should keep things lively for a bit.
  8. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    20 Feb '06 13:43
    How do you know you have one X and one Y chromosome? Have you ever had a test done? If so, how do you know the test results are reliable?

The nature of gender was just incidental - I just wanted to pick something I knew you would be sure about before subjecting it to Cartesian doubt.
    I'm not asking for a Cartesian reduction here, I'm asking for common sense reason. Yes I have had a test done and since I display all the phenotypes associated with male and the test also shows I also have the genotype, there seems to be 'sensibly' no other cause.
  9. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    20 Feb '06 13:45
    Canon of Scripture.
    Existence of Jews.
    All of Creation.
    Time.
    That should keep things lively for a bit.
    You're going to have to be a lot more detailed than that. Personal expereince we're talking here, I'm not looking for a presuppositional example of god.
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    20 Feb '06 13:46
    After posting, I realized you may be looking strictly for personal experiences. While I could certainly make a case for my personal experiences with each of the above, you're likely looking for assumed miracles and/or divine intervention?
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    20 Feb '06 13:46
    You're going to have to be a lot more detailed than that. Personal expereince we're talking here, I'm not looking for a presuppositional example of god.
    Ah, the beauty of the internet!
  12. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    20 Feb '06 13:48
    After posting, I realized you may be looking strictly for personal experiences. While I could certainly make a case for my personal experiences with each of the above, you're likely looking for assumed miracles and/or divine intervention?
    Not really, although if any of you have had such expereinces I would like to hear them. I'm more intrigued by such cases as when someone says 'I spoke to god and he told me' or perhaps such things as the example of the sledgehammer and the concrete which appeared in another thread.
  13. London
    Moves
    20 Feb '06 13:53
    I'm not asking for a Cartesian reduction here, I'm asking for common sense reason. Yes I have had a test done and since I display all the phenotypes associated with male and the test also shows I also have the genotype, there seems to be 'sensibly' no other cause.
    When you say "which could not, in any other possible way, be attributed to some other cause" you are asking for a Cartesian "reduction" - by definition.
  14. London
    Moves
    20 Feb '06 13:55
    Not really, although if any of you have had such expereinces I would like to hear them. I'm more intrigued by such cases as when someone says 'I spoke to god and he told me' or perhaps such things as the example of the sledgehammer and the concrete which appeared in another thread.
    What's the example of the sledgehammer and the concrete? I presume it's something like "the concrete's all smashed up, therefore there must have been a sledgehammer".
  15. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    20 Feb '06 14:01
    When you say "which could not, in any other possible way, be attributed to some other cause" you are asking for a Cartesian "reduction" - by definition.
    No, not at all. I'm not attempting to find the utterly indubitable, rather to highlight the dubitability of personal experience. I'm asking for a common sense aspect here, an experienceable event which could not be caused by some other common sense and accessible factor of everyday and natural existence.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree