Absolute experience

Absolute experience

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S

Moves
23 Feb 06

Originally posted by dj2becker
My response: OK. I know someone who was raised from the dead. This person was confirmed by doctors to be clinically brain dead for more than 24 hours. He related how his body left his soul and how he went to Heaven and saw God, and then he was taken down to hell...

Your response: He was never dead. He was hallucinating!

My response:

"Luke 16:22 An ...[text shortened]... Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead. "
[/b]
I was after personal experience, not experience by proxy. The mere fact that this is not first hand knowledge is enough to dismiss it from reasonability. If you had had that experience I would be willing to weigh the evidence for it.

Moves
23 Feb 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Starrman
I was after personal experience, not experience by proxy. The mere fact that this is not first hand knowledge is enough to dismiss it from reasonability. If you had had that experience I would be willing to weigh the evidence for it.
OK. Here is a guy's site. Would it really make a difference if he told you the story?

I have the video tape where he relates the story first hand. I could mail it to you...

See for yourself:

http://www.aglimpseofeternity.org/

D

Moves
23 Feb 06

I'm interested to hear from any Christians that care to share, on experiences they have had which could not, in any other possible way, be attributed to some other cause. Please think about what you are about to write, I'd like the relaying of these experiences to be as detailed as possible.
I was working a 6 month contract in Seattle. About 4 months into it I started looking for other work. I had applied at many places when I got a call from a head hunter who wanted to put my hat into the ring for a job in my home town. I said sure.
That night, when I got home, my wife and I were so sure that I'd get that job that we started packing up. We had no reason to feel sure, but we were very sure about this one job. Now keep in mind that I had put in a number of resumes to a number of other jobs as well (at least one other was in my home town) and it was only this one that triggered us.
I did get the job (none of the others ever contacted me).
I learned later that the person that chose me didn't see my resume until 4 days after we started packing. That 6 month contract turned into 3.5 years.

What made us so sure of that particular job when I had so many other irons in the fire?

DF

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
24 Feb 06

Originally posted by DragonFriend

What made us so sure of that particular job when I had so many other irons in the fire?
Irrational exuberance?

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
24 Feb 06

Originally posted by bbarr
Irrational exuberance?
That's right: he became Greenspan's caddy!

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
24 Feb 06

I don't agree with this. If the event is natural, by definition it must be possible to re-create it naturally. This taken, the odds of it being so in any given occurence are extremely likely, especially considering no empirical evidence as available to support a supernatural explanation. Without this, the odds of god's intervention should be considered a ...[text shortened]... all intents and purposes be considered to have no likelyhood at all of causing such events.
Into the Bayesian thread with you!

S

Moves
24 Feb 06

Originally posted by royalchicken
Into the Bayesian thread with you!
No way, it would take me till next year to understand what was going on, let alone take part.

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
24 Feb 06

No way, it would take me till next year to understand what was going on, let alone take part.
Very well then. Your last few posts in this thread have been spoken like a Bayesian, though.

S

Moves
24 Feb 06

Very well then. Your last few posts in this thread have been spoken like a Bayesian, though.
I don't even know what Bayesian interpretation means. If you explain it quickly I'll have a htink and maybe pop over to debates later, though I'm sure bbarr you and scribbles are quite adept at dealing with it anyway.

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
24 Feb 06

I don't even know what Bayesian interpretation means. If you explain it quickly I'll have a htink and maybe pop over to debates later, though I'm sure bbarr you and scribbles are quite adept at dealing with it anyway.
Typically, probabilities are assigned to events; the probability of an event happening is seen as being roughly the ratio of the number of times an event happens in a given set of circumstances to the number of times those circumstances are created, if we do it many, many times. For example, we might wish to determine the probability that a new thread on RHP will die after 38 posts. Under the above interpretation (called the 'frequentist' interpretation), we would estimate this probability by (the number of threads on RHP with 38 posts)/(the total number of posts on RHP).

An alternative interpretation is the Bayesian one, which claims that probabilities operate on statements, not events, and that the probability of a statement being true is a measure of the extent to which we believe that statement. Note that this contains the frequentist interpretation, since the event E can correspond to the statement 'E happens'. Furthermore, our degree of belief in 'E happens' is likely to be similar to the frequentist answer, because we intuitively apply frequentist reasoning when determining the probability of events.

In actual fact, probabilities have a rigorous mathematical definition independent of these interpretations. However, the interpretation is useful if we want to use the mathematics to model anything. In that thread, we're discussing a method for changing our assessment of a statement's truth in view of observed evidence.

S

Moves
24 Feb 06

Typically, probabilities are assigned to events; the probability of an event happening is seen as being roughly the ratio of the number of times an event happens in a given set of circumstances to the number of times those circumstances are created, if we do it many, many times. For example, we might wish to determine the probability that a new thread ...[text shortened]... method for changing our assessment of a statement's truth in view of observed evidence.
Ahh, okay. I'll have a look through and see what I feel I can add... if anything.

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
24 Feb 06

Ahh, okay. I'll have a look through and see what I feel I can add... if anything.
Not to worry. It just pleased me to see someone throwing around phrases like 'weigh the evidence'.

D

Moves
24 Feb 06

Originally posted by bbarr
Irrational exuberance?
Why for that job and not the others I had applied for?

DF

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
24 Feb 06

Originally posted by DragonFriend
Why for that job and not the others I had applied for?

DF
Because then you wouldn't have been irrational, but merely exuberant.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
24 Feb 06

A bit off subject here, but Starrmann, Where did you get that
AWESOME avatar?