Absolute Morality

Absolute Morality

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
07 Feb 07

Originally posted by twhitehead
Let us first ask "what makes something morally wrong?"

Is something morally wrong if we wont do it?
Is it morally wrong if we believe it to be wrong?

You seem to believe that it is only morally wrong if God commands it to be so. Does that mean that when I punch you on the nose whilst following Gods command, it is not morally wrong even when you kno ...[text shortened]... by most people if the consistency of peoples inbuilt morals is evidence for a moral absolute?
People would find the the actions of God morally wrong, based upon who's moral law?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
07 Feb 07

Originally posted by dj2becker
People would find the the actions of God morally wrong, based upon who's moral law?
God's. For example, Thou shalt not kill. Etc. The usual stuff.

Moves
07 Feb 07

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Absolute what?
http://www.answers.com/absolute

# Absolute (Philosophy.)

1. Something regarded as the ultimate basis of all thought and being. Used with the.
2. Something regarded as independent of and unrelated to anything else.

Moves
07 Feb 07

God's. For example, Thou shalt not kill. Etc. The usual stuff.
OK. And?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
07 Feb 07

OK. And?
I answered your question.

What happened to your idiot friend, LouisXIV?

Moves
07 Feb 07

I answered your question.

What happened to your idiot friend, LouisXIV?
So you think it is amoral of God to take someone's life?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
07 Feb 07

So you think it is amoral of God to take someone's life?
Tedious and predictable.

Tell Louis he's sorely missed at the RHP Spirituality Forum.

Moves
07 Feb 07

Tedious and predictable.

Tell Louis he's sorely missed at the RHP Spirituality Forum.
So I guess you are not going to answer the question...

Who's Louis? 😛

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
07 Feb 07

So I guess you are not going to answer the question...

Who's Louis?
No, your games exceed my patience.

Louis is your idiot friend. Possibly your brother.

Cape Town

Moves
07 Feb 07

They would simply find the actions to be morally wrong. Most people do not look things up in a 'moral law book'. I notice you are avoiding the difficult questions.

S

Moves
07 Feb 07

[b]There you go again, surely you can see that an action can be relatively wrong, by the context of social agreement?

So if I punched you on the nose for no reason, you would only think that it is wrong because it is within the context of social agreement?

Are there any people in the world that would say it is right to punch someone on the nose for no reason?[/b]
I'm sure there are, however they would probably be considered amoral by the majority of humanity. Even if there were not it does not follow that it is wrong to punch people on the nose for no reason absolutely.

Moves
07 Feb 07

Originally posted by twhitehead
They would simply find the actions to be morally wrong. Most people do not look things up in a 'moral law book'. I notice you are avoiding the difficult questions.
They would simply find the actions to be morally wrong.

Agreed. Based upon what? How do you differentiate between right and wrong?

Most people do not look things up in a 'moral law book'.

Exactly my point. Each person has within them the ability to differentiate between right and wrong. Now assuming that absolute truth exists, it would mean that there is an absolute moral moral standard which all people will follow. I contend, for example, that all people in their right state of mind would feel that it would be wrong for a person to punch them on the nose for no reason.

I notice you are avoiding the difficult questions.

I am afraid that you are. I am just waiting for a response from you. So tell me, do you feel that it is amoral of God to take someone's life? And if so, by whose moral standard?

Moves
07 Feb 07

Originally posted by Starrman
Yes, there is no absolute right or wrong.

No, your next paragraph in no ways follows from your first. When will you get off this ridiculous belief that morals require an absolute origin and that without that people are instantly serial killers? You sound like someone who is just accepting the faulty instruction of their religious teacher and doing so b ...[text shortened]... y definition right. You're making yourself look silly, try thinking for yourself for a change.

This logically follows that there is no absolute truth. Which also logically follows that there is no absolute certainty. Which means you are the only one without certainty on this matter. So please hand over the soapbox to someone with a little more certainty than yourself.

Cape Town

Moves
07 Feb 07

Agreed. Based upon what? How do you differentiate between right and wrong?
With my morals of course.

Each person has within them the ability to differentiate between right and wrong. Now assuming that absolute truth exists, it would mean that there is an absolute moral moral standard which all people will follow. I contend, for example, that all people in their right state of mind would feel that it would be wrong for a person to punch them on the nose for no reason.
I do not see the connection between absolute truth and absolute morals or how one implies the other.
Do you also contend that it is morally wrong to punch an animal on the nose or for an animal to punch a person on the nose? Is it morally wrong for God to punch a person on the nose for no reason

So tell me, do you feel that it is amoral of God to take someone's life?
Both you and I know that you must include the for no reason clause or no moral judgment can be made.
However my answer is simple "God does not exist."
The action of taking a persons life for no reason by a sufficiently intelligent being is morally wrong.

And if so, by whose moral standard?
Mine.

j

CA, USA

Moves
07 Feb 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Starrman
That statement would be ..absolutely wrong.

the problem with this "debate" so far is that no one has yet defined terms like "absolute morality" or even "absolute truth" ... you may be argueing apples and oranges.