Absolute Morality

Absolute Morality

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
27 Jan 07

Does the atheist have an absolute moral framework? Or does morality simply depend on personal preference?

W

Moves
27 Jan 07

Originally posted by dj2becker
Does the atheist have an absolute moral framework? Or does morality simply depend on personal preference?
I don't know. As far as I know, I was born with my moral values. If not, then I don't remember where I got them.

j

CA, USA

Moves
27 Jan 07

Some (many) atheists belive in Moral Relativism .. it's the view that ethical standards, morality, and positions of right or wrong are culturally based and therefore subject to a person's individual choice.

We can all decide what is right for ourselves.
You decide what's right for you, and I'll decide what's right for me. Moral relativism says, "It's true for me, if I believe it."

yes, I took this definition from a website.

http://www.allaboutphilosophy.org/moral-relativism.htm

T

Moves
27 Jan 07

It's been my experience that the overwhelming majority of people (theists and atheists alike) have a moral framework that is based on personal preference even if they'd like to think otherwise.

Moves
27 Jan 07

I am an athiest, and to be honest, I'd have to say that my morality is a litle more flexible than most. I, however, view this as a virtue rather than a liability

Moves
27 Jan 07

Originally posted by Wayne1324
I don't know. As far as I know, I was born with my moral values. If not, then I don't remember where I got them.
So do you think that every individual is born with some or other intrinsic moral values, with may differ from individual to individual?

Moves
27 Jan 07

Originally posted by jammer
Some (many) atheists belive in Moral Relativism .. it's the view that ethical standards, morality, and positions of right or wrong are culturally based and therefore subject to a person's individual choice.

We can all decide what is right for ourselves.
You decide what's right for you, and I'll decide what's right for me. Moral relativism says, "It's tr ...[text shortened]... his definition from a website.

http://www.allaboutphilosophy.org/moral-relativism.htm
Would an atheist have a problem with mass-murder and rape, for example?

N

The sky

Moves
27 Jan 07

Would an atheist have a problem with mass-murder and rape, for example?
The overwhelming majority of atheists would (in contrast to your God).

Moves
27 Jan 07

Originally posted by Nordlys
The overwhelming majority of atheists would (in contrast to your God).
The overwhelming majority of atheists would

Based upon what?

E

Moves
27 Jan 07

if it doesnt hurt anybody and makes you feel good, do it

Moves
27 Jan 07

Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
Who decides whether anybody is hurt in the process?

j

CA, USA

Moves
27 Jan 07

That was the Anthem of the 60s .. "If it feels good, do it." along with .. "Make love not war.", "Do your own thing." and my personal favorite .. "You are the center of the Universe."

All of that stuff came out of the counter-culture of the 60s generation.
The Age of Liberation.

It's fun .. until you're about 40 and your 15 yr old daughter throws your words back in your face.

s

Moves
27 Jan 07

I would simply love to hear what your idea of an 'absolute' moral framework is. If you could lay it out for me (remember I'm quite simple), a list would do....

E

Moves
27 Jan 07

Originally posted by jammer
That was the Anthem of the 60s .. "If it feels good, do it." along with .. "Make love not war.", "Do your own thing." and my personal favorite .. "You are the center of the Universe."

All of that stuff came out of the counter-culture of the 60s generation.
The Age of Liberation.

It's fun .. until you're about 40 and your 15 yr old daughter throws your words back in your face.
dont worry, be happy

j

CA, USA

Moves
27 Jan 07

dont worry, be happy
That came 20 yrs later .. after the flameout of the disco/cocaine generation.