1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 13:40
    Does the atheist have an absolute moral framework? Or does morality simply depend on personal preference?
  2. Joined
    21 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 14:04
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    Does the atheist have an absolute moral framework? Or does morality simply depend on personal preference?
    I don't know. As far as I know, I was born with my moral values. If not, then I don't remember where I got them.
  3. CA, USA
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 15:28
    Some (many) atheists belive in Moral Relativism .. it's the view that ethical standards, morality, and positions of right or wrong are culturally based and therefore subject to a person's individual choice.

We can all decide what is right for ourselves.
    You decide what's right for you, and I'll decide what's right for me. Moral relativism says, "It's true for me, if I believe it."

yes, I took this definition from a website.

http://www.allaboutphilosophy.org/moral-relativism.htm
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 16:27
    It's been my experience that the overwhelming majority of people (theists and atheists alike) have a moral framework that is based on personal preference even if they'd like to think otherwise.
  5. Joined
    29 Nov '06
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 17:48
    I am an athiest, and to be honest, I'd have to say that my morality is a litle more flexible than most. I, however, view this as a virtue rather than a liability
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 18:42
    Originally posted by Wayne1324
    I don't know. As far as I know, I was born with my moral values. If not, then I don't remember where I got them.
    So do you think that every individual is born with some or other intrinsic moral values, with may differ from individual to individual?
  7. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 18:57
    Originally posted by jammer
    Some (many) atheists belive in Moral Relativism .. it's the view that ethical standards, morality, and positions of right or wrong are culturally based and therefore subject to a person's individual choice.

We can all decide what is right for ourselves.
    You decide what's right for you, and I'll decide what's right for me. Moral relativism says, "It's tr ...[text shortened]... his definition from a website.

http://www.allaboutphilosophy.org/moral-relativism.htm
    Would an atheist have a problem with mass-murder and rape, for example?
  8. The sky
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 19:00
    Would an atheist have a problem with mass-murder and rape, for example?
    The overwhelming majority of atheists would (in contrast to your God).
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 19:03
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    The overwhelming majority of atheists would (in contrast to your God).
    The overwhelming majority of atheists would

Based upon what?
  10. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 19:03
    if it doesnt hurt anybody and makes you feel good, do it
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 19:09
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    Who decides whether anybody is hurt in the process?
  12. CA, USA
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 21:19
    That was the Anthem of the 60s .. "If it feels good, do it." along with .. "Make love not war.", "Do your own thing." and my personal favorite .. "You are the center of the Universe."

All of that stuff came out of the counter-culture of the 60s generation.
    The Age of Liberation.

It's fun .. until you're about 40 and your 15 yr old daughter throws your words back in your face.
  13. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 21:37
    I would simply love to hear what your idea of an 'absolute' moral framework is. If you could lay it out for me (remember I'm quite simple), a list would do....
  14. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 22:04
    Originally posted by jammer
    That was the Anthem of the 60s .. "If it feels good, do it." along with .. "Make love not war.", "Do your own thing." and my personal favorite .. "You are the center of the Universe."

All of that stuff came out of the counter-culture of the 60s generation.
    The Age of Liberation.

It's fun .. until you're about 40 and your 15 yr old daughter throws your words back in your face.
    dont worry, be happy
  15. CA, USA
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 22:34
    dont worry, be happy
    That came 20 yrs later .. after the flameout of the disco/cocaine generation.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree