Adoration!

Adoration!

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maryland

Moves
31 Aug 16

“Men are given to worshipping malevolent gods, and that which is not cruel seems to them not worth their adoration.”

—— Anatole France (1844-1924),

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
31 Aug 16

Originally posted by 667joe
“Men are given to worshipping malevolent gods, and that which is not cruel seems to them not worth their adoration.”

So in other words, the dude thinks there are many gods.

IMHO there are zero, at least ones reacting to humans.

D

Moves
01 Sep 16
1 edit

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
03 Sep 16

Can I ask you what is your point with this?

F

Moves
03 Sep 16

Originally posted by Suzianne
Can I ask you what is your point with this?
If I had started a thread with this quote, I would have entitled it "Love v Fear" and I would have hoped for a discussion on perceptions of divine authority and whether "love " that is induced by coercion or threats or fear can ever be genuine love.

Maryland

Moves
03 Sep 16

That is exactly my point! Love and fear are antithetical.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
04 Sep 16

That is exactly my point! Love and fear are antithetical.
Really? You cannot love and fear your father?

F

Moves
04 Sep 16

Originally posted by KellyJay
Does your father threaten to torture you by holding you over flames?

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
04 Sep 16

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Can I ask what your point is with this-

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
04 Sep 16

Originally posted by KellyJay
Dr. Strangelove

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
18 Sep 16

Originally posted by FMF
If I had started a thread with this quote, I would have entitled it "Love v Fear" and I would have hoped for a discussion on perceptions of divine authority and whether "love " that is induced by coercion or threats or fear can ever be genuine love.
I probably would have responded that perhaps Anatole France didn't know what he was talking about.

F

Moves
18 Sep 16

I probably would have responded that perhaps Anatole France didn't know what he was talking about.
Be that is it may, but the issue of whether "love" that is induced by coercion or threats or fear can ever be a genuine kind of love is not addressed by simply aiming a lazy ad hominem at a Nobel laureate who died in 1924.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
18 Sep 16
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Be that is it may, but the issue of whether "love" that is induced by coercion or threats or fear can ever be a genuine kind of love is not addressed by simply aiming a lazy ad hominem at a Nobel laureate who died in 1924.
That you label what I just said as an "ad hominem" IS an "ad hominem" (or perhaps an "ad femina" ).

If you open your thread with a quote, I expect the validity of the quote is open for debate. If you only want to talk about your imagined "ad Deus" attack, then perhaps you should open with what you want to talk about.

F

Moves
18 Sep 16

That you label what I just said as an "ad hominem" IS an "ad hominem" (or perhaps an "ad femina" ).
I don't think so. You claimed Anatole France didn't know what he was talking about which is taking aim at him personally rather than addressing what he said.

F

Moves
18 Sep 16

If you open your thread with a quote, I expect the validity of the quote is open for debate. If you only want to talk about your imagined "ad Deus" attack, then perhaps you should open with what you want to talk about.
Do you think "love" that is induced by coercion or threats or fear can ever be a genuine kind of love?