Adoration!

Adoration!

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
18 Sep 16

love is earned

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
18 Sep 16

Originally posted by FMF
Do you think "love" that is induced by coercion or threats or fear can ever be a genuine kind of love?
So, maybe. Doesn't sound healthy though. What's the difference between love and genuine love, anyway.

F

Moves
18 Sep 16
1 edit

Originally posted by apathist
What's the difference between love and genuine love, anyway.
I don't know - perhaps nothing. It wasn't what I asked. I am interested in whether the "love" (deliberately in quotation marks) that is demanded with vengeful eternal torture as its quid-pro-quo backdrop can realistically be characterized as love at all.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
18 Sep 16

Originally posted by FMF
I don't know - perhaps nothing. It wasn't what I asked. I am interested in whether the "love" (deliberately in quotation marks) that is demanded with vengeful eternal torture as its quid-pro-quo backdrop can realistically be characterized as love at all.
I understand what you're looking for, and if you know of my views you know I'm sympathetic but I'll stick with my answer. Love is psychological, I don't claim to know what can or cannot induce it, so maybe love can grow under threat. Think of the Stockholm effect for an example.

And we want to love our dads for another example. If he is abusive, it takes awhile for the love to erode away. Maybe, by giving an out, god seek to controls us through our desire to love.

F

Moves
18 Sep 16
1 edit

And we want to love our dads for another example. If he is abusive, it takes awhile for the love to erode away. Maybe, by giving an out, god seek to controls us through our desire to love.
I think loving someone despite the fact they abuse you is one thing, while supposedly loving someone in the hope of not being abused is something different.

The Stockholm Syndrome is about empathizing with one's captors. I don't see how it also applies to declaring feelings of supposed love for someone or something (maybe some sort of maniacal creature) that might otherwise torture you in a hideously violent and unimaginably demented way.

I think it's coercion pure and simple. I think it's terror disguised as "love". I think in order to understand this we must delve into the psychology of the most depraved and grotesque instances of humans abusing one another, only - in this case - writ large, and writ permanent... indeed, eternal, no less.

It's not much of an advert for a 'loving God ideology' to my way of thinking.

As I have said before, I believe it's the darkest place that the human imagination has ever been. I think it's the ultimate perversion of the notion of "love".

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
18 Sep 16
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF...As I have said before, I believe it's the darkest place that the human imagination has ever been. I think it's the ultimate perversion of the notion of "love".
For sure the Christians here do not like this subject.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
18 Sep 16
1 edit

Originally posted by 667joe
That is exactly my point! Love and fear are antithetical.
Do you mean something like John wrote when he said "Perfect love casts out fear. "

1 John 4:18

18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

Is that something like what you're talking about ?

F

Moves
19 Sep 16
1 edit

Originally posted by sonship
Do you mean something like John wrote when he said "Perfect love casts out fear."
Do you think the emotions that an abused woman feels about her violent husband threatening to break her nose and teeth and burn her with cigarettes if she doesn't please or obey him, and the relief and gladness she might feel when she manages to avoid such treatment, is a "perfect love that casts out fear"? Is that something like what you're talking about?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
19 Sep 16

love is earned
Hardly, trust is earned love is given.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
19 Sep 16

For sure the Christians here do not like this subject.
He's basically peeing on our leg and calling it rain.

Keeping a light heart often means not engaging him.

F

Moves
19 Sep 16

Originally posted by Suzianne
He's basically peeing on our leg and calling it rain.

Keeping a light heart often means not engaging him.
You honestly think there aren't vast numbers of Christians - including some Christians here in this community - who believe that the Christian God will torture non-Christians for eternity after they die ~ and will do so out of anger and revenge? If "keeping a light heart" means closing your ears and eyes to the noxious ideology that some Christians propagate ((and pertaining to the very nature of the God you purport to believe in) - and instead pour scorn on people who take issue with those Christians in debate - then I don't think that a "light heart" of that kind is either spiritually or intellectually healthy.