Agnostic atheism

Agnostic atheism

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
11 Feb 18

Originally posted by @fmf
It's all about "Agnostic atheism". Just look at the thread title. What I personally bring to this thread is the fact that I am an agnostic atheist. What you bring to the thread is your theist perspective and a heap of loaded vocabulary to bolster your subjective opinions in your own mind. All is as it should be and/or as it so often is.
Your perception about what I said at the beginning of this thread is skewed by your bias against my "theist perspective", which I didn't introduce into the discussion, you did, and I'm unaware of any "loaded vocabulary" associated with my personal beliefs being used to "bolster" my opinions.

These things are all projections of your mind and biases.

I can certainly understand the fear you must have after having invested so much time and effort in building a belief system based on the lack of evidence solely for the purpose of denying any other, and how that must be disconcerting to say the least if and when you discover you are wrong.

You make the claim of being an agnostic atheist. Well then, what evidence do you have to support that belief?

And please don't say it's because there's no evidence to the contrary.

The lack of evidence is not evidence for anything.

F

Moves
11 Feb 18

Originally posted by @secondson
Your perception about what I said at the beginning of this thread is skewed by your bias against my "theist perspective", which I didn't introduce into the discussion, you did, and I'm unaware of any "loaded vocabulary" associated with my personal beliefs being used to "bolster" my opinions.
Well, I am not a theist and you are. So we both have our own subjectivities to deal with and, indeed, to guide us in how we convey our ideas and what those ideas are. The 'loaded vocabulary' is the terms that you use and which I talked about in my posts several times. Odd that you are "unaware" of it, then.

F

Moves
11 Feb 18

I can certainly understand the fear you must have after having invested so much time and effort in building a belief system based on the lack of evidence solely for the purpose of denying any other, and how that must be disconcerting to say the least if and when you discover you are wrong.
"Fear". "Disconcerting". More words slipped into the discourse, I note.

F

Moves
11 Feb 18

You make the claim of being an agnostic atheist. Well then, what evidence do you have to support that belief?
The onus is on you to peddle your theology. I don't have a theology. There may be a god or gods but the religionist-hearsay 'revelations' that I've encountered are unconvincing. Do you want to make your pitch, again? If I were a Hindu would it make me more credible to you than me being an agnostic atheist?

F

Moves
11 Feb 18

The lack of evidence is not evidence for anything.
The lack of evidence to support your religion's mythology and dogma is why you have nothing to offer this agnostic atheist. I am not going to subscribe to a 'revealed god story-any revealed god story will do for now' as my holding pattern, and then take it from there.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
11 Feb 18

"Fear". "Disconcerting". More words slipped into the discourse, I note.
You slip in enough of your own too.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
11 Feb 18

The onus is on you to peddle your theology. I don't have a theology. There may be a god or gods but the religionist-hearsay 'revelations' that I've encountered are unconvincing. Do you want to make your pitch, again? If I were a Hindu would it make me more credible to you than me being an agnostic atheist?
So what you're saying is you don't have any evidence.

F

Moves
11 Feb 18

You slip in enough of your own too.
What was the word "lie" in reference to, or were you just a bit rubbed up the wrong way at that point, and you just blurted it out? What "lie" were you talking about?

F

Moves
11 Feb 18
1 edit

So what you're saying is you don't have any evidence.
Evidence of what? The onus is on you to prove your belief in supernatural causality. My view is that there may be a god or gods but all the 'revelations' I have come across have been unconvincing cultural - psychological and anthropological - bric-a-brac. I know you have some evidence that satisfies you but it's highly subjective and doesn't work for me.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
11 Feb 18

The lack of evidence to support your religion's mythology and dogma is why you have nothing to offer this agnostic atheist. I am not going to subscribe to a 'revealed god story-any revealed god story will do for now' as my holding pattern, and then take it from there.
I'm not "offering" you anything.

The topic of this thread isn't about my beliefs. It's about agnostic atheism in case you've forgotten since a moment ago.

What evidence do you have to support labeling yourself an agnostic atheist?

If it's not too laborious for you. I realize what a strain it must be to find evidence for not believing in something.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Feb 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @thinkofone
In case you missed it earlier:

[b] Objectively speaking again, one bases belief on truth. That is rational thinking. To hold a position of belief based on the lack of what one knows is true is essentially akin to believing a lie.

While I understand what you're trying to do, this line of thought is nonsensical. You don't seem to have thought thi ...[text shortened]... s a lack of evidence. Do you conclude that this belief "is essentially akin to believing a lie"?[/b]
And those who don’t want to believe - for whatever reason - are not the same as those who have carefully examined the evidence and arrived at a conclusion, one way or the other.

I was asked early on to provide evidence for Jesus Christ’s divinity and suggested those interested in looking at *some* of the evidence Google “15 Logical Reasons to Believe the Resurrection” for *some* of the evidence and we could use that as a springboard. Then we get into discussing Old Testament prophecies about the Messiah that Jesus Christ fulfilled and other evidence and logical arguments not addressed in that article.

A grand total of one poster responded to my suggestion and did so with snark and not substance.

Many atheists don’t believe because they don’t want to believe and that is evidenced by their refusal to look at and discuss evidence. Granted, there is not *proof* that Jesus Christ is God or that God even exists, nor did God intend for there to be proof (“For without faith, it is impossible to please Him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.” - Hebrews 11:6.)

But enough evidence exists that one could reasonably conclude that Jesus Christ is God.

F

Moves
11 Feb 18

What evidence do you have to support labeling yourself an agnostic atheist?
I do not hold a belief in the existence of any deity ~ that makes me atheistic ~ and I believe nobody currently knows for sure that a deity exists ~ that makes me agnostic. This is the evidence that I am an agnostic atheist.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
11 Feb 18

Evidence of what? The onus is on you to prove your belief in supernatural causality. My view is that there may be a god or gods but all the 'revelations' I have come across have been unconvincing cultural - psychological and anthropological - bric-a-brac. I know you have some evidence that satisfies you but it's highly subjective and doesn't work for me.
Evidence for the belief in nothing.

There's no onus on me to prove my belief as that is not the topic of this thread. This thread is about what you believe, so the onus is on you to prove, by whatever evidence you have, that your belief is sound and based on objective and observable evidence. If you can find any.

F

Moves
11 Feb 18

I realize what a strain it must be to find evidence for not believing in something.
You don't have evidence that is credible to me to support the claims you make about Christ. I don't believe in Christ. I am not a Christian. You have to take these things at my word. I have no belief in Christ. And I'm not a Christian. Repeat all that for Judaism, Islam and Hinduism, and the rest. What more can I say? You want "evidence" that I don't subscribe to your religion?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Feb 18

There’s plenty of evidence. You just don’t want to examine it.

Atheists often don’t bother looking at the evidence for a variety of reasons - their minds are already made up (i.e. closed) and they consider it a waste of time; they don’t, for reasons of ego and/or fear, want to consider that a being so much smarter and more powerful than they are exists; they don’t, for reasons of pride, want to admit they are sinners; they had an unpleasant experience with a believer at a formative age and imputed that unpleasantness to God; they suffered a tragedy in their lives and blamed God for it (in the latter two cases, the people who identify themselves as atheists are actually haters of God.)

I’m sure there are other reasons, but the point is, many atheists simply don’t want to look at the evidence or look at it with an open mind.