Agnostic atheism

Agnostic atheism

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
11 Feb 18

Originally posted by @secondson
Evidence for the belief in nothing.
I believe there may be a god or gods. What's "nothing" about that?

F

Moves
11 Feb 18

Originally posted by @romans1009
There’s plenty of evidence. You just don’t want to examine it.
I have.

F

Moves
11 Feb 18

Atheists often don’t bother looking at the evidence for a variety of reasons - their minds are already made up (i.e. closed) and they consider it a waste of time; they don’t, for reasons of ego and/or fear, want to consider that a being so much smarter and more powerful than they are exists; they don’t, for reasons of pride, want to admit they are sinner ...[text shortened]... he latter two cases, the people who identify themselves as atheists are actually haters of God.)
Thanks for this perspective.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Feb 18

Originally posted by @fmf
You don't have evidence that is credible to me to support the claims you make about Christ. I don't believe in Christ. I am not a Christian. You have to take these things at my word. I have no belief in Christ. And I'm not a Christian. Repeat all that for Judaism, Islam and Hinduism, and the rest. What more can I say? You want "evidence" that I don't subscribe to your religion?
Are you open to the possibility that you’re wrong and that God not only exists but that Jesus Christ was God in the flesh?

How surprised would you be, upon dying, to discover that life continued outside your body? I suspect that realization, as you initially experienced it, would be terrifying.

F

Moves
11 Feb 18

There's no onus on me to prove my belief as that is not the topic of this thread. This thread is about what you believe, so the onus is on you to prove, by whatever evidence you have, that your belief is sound and based on objective and observable evidence. If you can find any.
I am not a Christian. I don't believe in Christ. What evidence of this do you require? Same goes for the other religions that claim to have been created as a result of diverse god figures revealing themselves to groups of people. What evidence do you require that I don't subscribe to any of those religions?

F

Moves
11 Feb 18

Are you open to the possibility that you’re wrong and that God not only exists but that Jesus Christ was God in the flesh?
I've looked at Christianity very closely for many years of my life. I eventually realized that it just doesn't work for me. Good for you if it works for you.

F

Moves
11 Feb 18

How surprised would you be, upon dying, to discover that life continued outside your body? I suspect that realization, as you initially experienced it, would be terrifying.
Do you really think this is a strong 'point' you are making? I don't. Keep your powder on this one dry and use it on someone else.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Feb 18

I've looked at Christianity very closely for many years of my life. I eventually realized that it just doesn't work for me. Good for you if it works for you.
But are you open to the possibility that you’re wrong? That’s all I’m asking.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Feb 18

Do you really think this is a strong 'point' you are making? I don't. Keep your powder on this one dry and use it on someone else.
You’re again avoiding the question. That question was just another way of asking if you were open to the possibility that you’re wrong. Or is this another question that you’re not going to answer?

F

Moves
11 Feb 18
1 edit

But are you open to the possibility that you’re wrong? That’s all I’m asking.
Theoretically, I suppose. But it'd be a bit of a stretch. I have about 10-20 more years left and I'm going to be fairly busy intellectually and spiritually (the latter word I use as I define it).

If something happens to show me I'm 'wrong', then sure - yes, why not, theoretically - I might become a Christian.

But I might become a Muslim or a Jew or a Hindu for the same sort of reason, and with a similar degree of likelihood. We shall see.

F

Moves
11 Feb 18

You’re again avoiding the question. That question was just another way of asking if you were open to the possibility that you’re wrong. Or is this another question that you’re not going to answer?
Asking me if I am maybe going to be surprised and terrified to find "Romans1009" was right, is, to me, as debating goes, sheer prattle. Use it on someone else, please.

F

Moves
11 Feb 18

Or is this another question that you’re not going to answer?
What are you talking about?

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
11 Feb 18

I do not hold a belief in the existence of any deity ~ that makes me atheistic ~ and I believe nobody currently knows for sure that a deity exists ~ that makes me agnostic. This is the evidence that I am an agnostic atheist.
I hear you saying that you deny the existence of a deity because you don't know if there is one, or not.

All that based on the perception of the lack of evidence. Seems odd to me to hold to a belief which has no evidence to support it. It's like saying that what exists isn't evidence for what exists because the evidence for believing in what exists doesn't exist.

How incredibly burdensome it must be to sustain a belief based on the lack of evidence for that belief!

Agnostic atheist. Not sure, but denies without evidence to support that belief. What a strange place for the mind to be in. Dust in the wind. A blade of grass withering in the heat of the sun. "For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away".

F

Moves
11 Feb 18

I hear you saying that you deny the existence of a deity because you don't know if there is one, or not.
I think there may be a deity but no human claims about revelations of its instructions, promises, threats etc. have struck me as being authentic.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
11 Feb 18

I believe there may be a god or gods. What's "nothing" about that?
Nothing.

It just means you're not sure about what you believe, or don't believe. You should stop labeling yourself something you're not really sure you are.