1. Maryland
    Moves
    21 Mar '10 14:11
    Since it is obviously inconceivable that all religions can be right, the most reasonable conclusion is that they are all wrong. Christopher Hitchens
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Mar '10 14:22
    Originally posted by 667joe
    Since it is obviously inconceivable that all religions can be right, the most reasonable conclusion is that they are all wrong. Christopher Hitchens
    wow Jo Jo , your on a crusade now, better watch out you dont fall off your horsey wake up concussed and find out all you can say is, 'all religions must be right, all religions must be right, all religions must be right. . . . . . . . . '.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Mar '10 14:591 edit
    Since it is obviously inconceivable that all atheists can be right, the most reasonable conclusion is that they are all wrong.

Whodey (inspired by Christopher Hitchens)
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    21 Mar '10 15:09
    Originally posted by whodey
    Since it is obviously inconceivable that all atheists can be right, the most reasonable conclusion is that they are all wrong.

Whodey (inspired by Christopher Hitchens)
    Your sorry attempt to turn the tables is just plain stupid. The sole criteria which distinguishes one as an atheist is a lack of belief in a god or gods. All atheists lack that belief. Therefore they are either all right, or they are all wrong.
  5. Maryland
    Moves
    21 Mar '10 17:06
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    wow Jo Jo , your on a crusade now, better watch out you dont fall off your horsey wake up concussed and find out all you can say is, 'all religions must be right, all religions must be right, all religions must be right. . . . . . . . . '.
    To all who read this thread, I would like you to consider the shear genius of robbie.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Mar '10 17:091 edit
    To all who read this thread, I would like you to consider the shear genius of robbie.
    thank you people I shall be hear giving an exhibition of my talents all week! Scottish philosopher John Stuart Mills, wrote a rather wonderful essay, on the nature of genius, his conclusion, that genius was originality, if only our friend Jo Jo had read it 🙂
  7. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    21 Mar '10 17:20
    I can agree that they the religions all can't be right at the same time.
    Too many disagreeing elements among the religions of the world.

Does this negate the possibility of one being correct?

Manny
  8. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    21 Mar '10 17:34
    Which goes to show that even someone reasonably bright like Hitchens can be an utter failure in the logic dept.

"Opinion is often mistaken for thought."
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    21 Mar '10 17:35
    Originally posted by menace71
    I can agree that they the religions all can't be right at the same time.
    Too many disagreeing elements among the religions of the world.

Does this negate the possibility of one being correct?

Manny
    No, but it is more likely that they are all wrong. At least to some extent.
  10. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    21 Mar '10 17:37
    Originally posted by Badwater
    Which goes to show that even someone reasonably bright like Hitchens can be an utter failure in the logic dept.

"Opinion is often mistaken for thought."
    Would you care to grace us with your opinion of WHY Hitchens is wrong?
  11. Pale Blue Dot
    Moves
    21 Mar '10 17:48
    thank you people I shall be hear giving an exhibition of my talents all week! Scottish philosopher John Stuart Mills, wrote a rather wonderful essay, on the nature of genius, his conclusion, that genius was originality, if only our friend Jo Jo had read it 🙂
    John Stuart Mill was born in England.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Mar '10 17:57
    Originally posted by Green Paladin
    John Stuart Mill was born in England.
    sorry my mistake, his father was Scottish 🙂
  13. Pale Blue Dot
    Moves
    21 Mar '10 18:20
    sorry my mistake, his father was Scottish 🙂
    You get to claim David Hume, though! 🙂
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 Mar '10 18:43
    Originally posted by rwingett
    If it is the quote in the first post of this thread that is being discussed (not some other more expanded version Hitchens might have put forward), I dont think that he is right to conclude that " the most reasonable conclusion is that they are all wrong". I think one would need to lay a bit more groundwork first (though I suppose he may be assuming some of that in his claim).

I would also take issue with the fact that it seems to imply that all religions are wholly wrong, which certainly doesn't follow from the argument.
    For example, it is a well known fact that every person has a different set of opinions and if follows that every person holds some false opinions but it does not follow that all opinions are wrong or even that any given person has a significant number of wrong opinions.

To give an analogy, most societies have various myths, superstitions, non-religious beliefs etc, and they are often quite different from society to society. Once could reasonably say that it is unlikely that any society could therefore have a correct set. But that doesn't mean that all such beliefs are false.
  15. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    21 Mar '10 18:56
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I'm not saying that he is incorrect, necessarily. If the quote is accurate he is plucking conditions and conclusions from thin air. Upon what basis does he reason that it is "obviously inconceivable that all religions" can be right? And from that premise the only reasonable conclusion is that they are all wrong? The "only reasonable conclusion"? Based upon whose reasoning of what?

Hitchens is guilty of obfuscating, with polysyllabic words, vapid opinion masquerading as thought, using superlatives that are just as flawed as the religious notions that he is attempting to discredit.

From my standpoint he does no justice to his cause through this means of pontification.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree