1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    23 Mar '10 13:57
    Originally posted by Lord Shark
    I agree that the basis of all religions is similar, but I'm afraid it isn't anything like 'love each other, love god'.

But even if it were, the different religions can't agree on what god is and what kinds of love are permitted.
    Depends on how you interpret the scriptures . Depends on your relationship with the Divine.
    My take is 'love each other', 'understand God'. But again its just my interpretation.
    I have been accused of peddling easy answers. While they may read easy , put in practice, they are certainly very hard to follow.
    I dont believe I'm painting a rosy picture, even though I will admit I tend to sit on the optimistic side of 'reality' (being realistic).

Sometimes I wish I could just throw out some easy Christian answers,(Sorry christians,I realize you are not all the same). I could easily join the choir of Jesus pushers but I dont because that is not my experience.
    I try to reflect as accurately and honestly as possible my spiritual experiences.
    I do think I am on the right track,even though I have some fine tuning to do, but mygeneral direction wont change.
    Anyway,I think its time to put my own saying on spiritual matters into action,ie.: "I'm serious about being not serious" 🙂
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Mar '10 14:43
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Hinduism and Bhuddism are more word of mouth and experiential than knowledge gained from books.
    And how is that relevant? My point is that as far as I know, nether have the concept of "One God", and the whole 'love one another' think is a universal teaching regardless of belief and is not really a religious thing at all.
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    24 Mar '10 22:02
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    And how is that relevant? My point is that as far as I know, nether have the concept of "One God", and the whole 'love one another' think is a universal teaching regardless of belief and is not really a religious thing at all.
    Its relevant cause they are similar.
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29 Mar '10 12:42
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Would you care to grace us with your opinion of WHY Hitchens is wrong?
    religions don't each support one thing they are more complex than that. all religions can't be right at the same time. that means that they can all be partially right. or partially wrong. "righter" or "wronger" than each other. all wrong.

hitchens hadn't discovered the ultimate truth, he is just stating an opinion. he is no better than a religious person in this regard, he simply yells the possibility that he likes the most. no science involved, not even basic reason. just a subjective wish.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Mar '10 15:23
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Its relevant cause they are similar.
    Similar in what way? They are religions, but thats about it. Of course you can find similarities between religions, but at least one of the ones you gave is quite clearly false, and the other is universal even outside religions - thus your whole argument is flawed.
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    29 Mar '10 15:35
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Similar in what way? They are religions, but thats about it. Of course you can find similarities between religions, but at least one of the ones you gave is quite clearly false, and the other is universal even outside religions - thus your whole argument is flawed.
    I believe the Bhudda was born into a Hindu society. Hence spoke using the local lingo.
    After he achieved enlightenment , sitting under the bhoddi tree, he went about preaching,(or enlightening). others.

😵

Word soon spread of this new guy with his own take on spirituality. I believe the Hindus made him the sixteenth avatar of Hinduism after some time.

Or you could say they a different in a number of ways. I prefer to focus on the similarities. How about you?
  7. Joined
    08 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Mar '10 21:00
    I think you will find that Hitchens was making a clever (on the surface) joke, not a dep philosophical statement.
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '10 09:23
    Originally posted by leedsagain
    I think you will find that Hitchens was making a clever (on the surface) joke, not a dep philosophical statement.
    i don't find it funny.
  9. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    19 Apr '10 03:52
    Originally posted by 667joe
    Since it is obviously inconceivable that all religions can be right, the most reasonable conclusion is that they are all wrong. Christopher Hitchens
    You're right only One is right, Catholicism, but they can hardly ALL be wrong because if ALL were wrong, nothing could really exist, because most have a answer for existence so if all wrong nothing would exist
  10. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    19 Apr '10 06:40
    Originally posted by daniel58
    You're right only One is right, Catholicism, but they can hardly ALL be wrong because if ALL were wrong, nothing could really exist, because most have a answer for existence so if all wrong nothing would exist
    sure, the inquisition is one major reason why catholicism is the uber religion. also the fact that the pope is like an ubermensch on earth.
    no religion is right. they all have merits.

also i love how you blinked logic out of existence in that last phrase.
  11. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    20 Apr '10 19:36
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    sure, the inquisition is one major reason why catholicism is the uber religion. also the fact that the pope is like an ubermensch on earth.
    no religion is right. they all have merits.

also i love how you blinked logic out of existence in that last phrase.
    Okay I have no idea what you're talking about but just saying "no religion is right" is not a logical argument, it's not even an argument, it's a statement and a false one at that 🙂
  12. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    20 Apr '10 19:53
    Wow. You believe that?
  13. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    20 Apr '10 20:08
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Wow. You believe that?
    yes and your point is...?
  14. Pale Blue Dot
    Moves
    20 Apr '10 20:10
    Rec'd!!
  15. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    20 Apr '10 20:15
    yes and your point is...?
    I'm not making a point, I was just surprised at your reasoning here. You must think all us non-catholics are real dummies, eh?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree