1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    21 Apr '10 22:18
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    So does this mean that Iranian Muslim can go to RC heaven?
    and miss out on the virgins? not a chance
  2. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    22 Apr '10 00:00
    So does this mean that Iranian Muslim can go to RC heaven?
    I don't know what "RC Heaven" is
  3. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    22 Apr '10 00:03
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    ah but i was offering arguments. you just choose to ignore them. you can't go around saying that catholicism is the clearly right religion without offering proof. not to mention ignoring all those insignificant dillemas as to why the "rightest" religion would invent an abomination like the inquisition. or the crusades. or selling indulgences. or covering up for pedophiles. or condoning the holocaust.
    Not every Catholic does that (ignore the holocaust, etc.) nor do we claim to be perfect
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '10 07:55
    Originally posted by daniel58
    Not every Catholic does that (ignore the holocaust, etc.) nor do we claim to be perfect
    ah, but the stuff i enumerated was done in the name of the religion. the doods the catholics chose did them, or better said, the doods chosen by god himself. that is what the pope is, right, someone appointed by jesus himself?

so your leadership did them, you condoned it. then how can catholicism can be the "rightest" religion when say, the orthodox church has at least one inquisition less and several less crusades? and we let our priests marry so they get enough nookie at home and molest less boys at work.

i won't even go into buddhism. wouldn't you agree buddhism has even less crusades to show for? shouldn't buddhism be the rightest religion?
  5. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    22 Apr '10 16:31
    I don't know what "RC Heaven" is
    Roman Catholic Heaven. I'm assuming it's different from, say, Muslim Heaven. Less virgins possibly?
  6. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    22 Apr '10 21:55
    ah, but the stuff i enumerated was done in the name of the religion. the doods the catholics chose did them, or better said, the doods chosen by god himself. that is what the pope is, right, someone appointed by jesus himself?

so your leadership did them, you condoned it. then how can catholicism can be the "rightest" religion when say, the orthodox chur ...[text shortened]... e buddhism has even less crusades to show for? shouldn't buddhism be the rightest religion?
    The pope is infallible on Faith and Morals, only, he's not perfect, he's a human being just like the rest of us, interesting you said you won't even go into buddhism, but you did anyways, o.k so it has less crusades, the more reason NOT to believe it's right
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '10 08:22
    The pope is infallible on Faith and Morals, only, he's not perfect, he's a human being just like the rest of us, interesting you said you won't even go into buddhism, but you did anyways, o.k so it has less crusades, the more reason NOT to believe it's right
    oh so for you the crusades were a good idea?

the pope is infaillible on faith and morals? that means some popes were right to engage is epic orgies? appoint their bastards sons as cardinals? have the inquisition burn the witches? sell indulgences? how does buying your way into heaven constitutes as following the christian faith?
  8. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    27 Apr '10 00:46
    oh so for you the crusades were a good idea?

the pope is infaillible on faith and morals? that means some popes were right to engage is epic orgies? appoint their bastards sons as cardinals? have the inquisition burn the witches? sell indulgences? how does buying your way into heaven constitutes as following the christian faith?
    Yes the crusades I read about at least, what they did (the popes) and what they said are two different things
  9. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    27 Apr '10 10:00
    Yes the crusades I read about at least, what they did (the popes) and what they said are two different things
    wars are good? nevermind that once it happens, you can see some silver linings about it. but in general, are wars a good idea? any wars? even the ones that weren't ethnic cleansing looting killing sprees that were the crusades?
  10. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    27 Apr '10 17:082 edits
    Yes the crusades I read about at least...
    Did you actually read about them, or just dream it? How can someone who calls himself a Christian condone the crusades?!?!
  11. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    27 Apr '10 17:29
    Did you actually read about them, or just dream it? How can someone who calls himself a Christian condone the crusades?!?!
    You are not required to actually "know" anything in order to make claims that you do. This is pretty much the essence of all "revealed" religions: the claim that you "know" something that you cannot demonstrate thru logical deduction. It is ego.

Hitchens is just applying Occam's Razor. Unfortunately. if you fail to see yourself as the hairy animal that everyone else sees when they look at you then you don't realize you need a shave.
  12. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    27 Apr '10 19:38
    wars are good? nevermind that once it happens, you can see some silver linings about it. but in general, are wars a good idea? any wars? even the ones that weren't ethnic cleansing looting killing sprees that were the crusades?
    Yes some wars can be just
  13. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    27 Apr '10 19:48
    Yes some wars can be just
    'Thou Shalt Not Kill' ?
  14. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    27 Apr '10 20:03
    'Thou Shalt Not Kill' ?
    yes but it means "Thou shalt not murder" we don't hesitate to kill animals or plants to eat, defending yourself even if you end up killing the other person is just self defense, likewise if your country was attacked it has the right to defend itself
  15. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    27 Apr '10 20:27
    yes but it means "Thou shalt not murder" we don't hesitate to kill animals or plants to eat, defending yourself even if you end up killing the other person is just self defense, likewise if your country was attacked it has the right to defend itself
    I've done a bit of reading on this point and I see how you're getting to this conclusion, but having studied them, it's still a heck of a leap to view the crusades as a just war.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree