1. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Oct '06 07:53
    There are a number of people on this site (and around the world) who don't accept the Theory of Evolution as being a viable explanation for the development of life as we know it.
    However, I am yet to hear even one of them give a viable alternative explanation. The ID folks concentrate on criticizing evolution and saying "that cant happen" or "that is impossible" or "we see the hand of a designer" and yet at no point do they ever say "it works like this".
    I would like to know from anyone who does not accept evolution what they think did happen.
    Let me first point out that just saying "It happened as given in the Bible" is not good enough as so much is left open. For example, if we accept the story of Noah as factual, then it means that all members of a species or family of species (read 'type' in ID speak) are descended from a single (or several) pair from the time of Noah. So how do we get the enormous genetic diversity we see today? Does God have a hand in every single mutation? Or do you actually accept that evolution is taking place?
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    27 Oct '06 12:44
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    There are a number of people on this site (and around the world) who don't accept the Theory of Evolution as being a viable explanation for the development of life as we know it.
    However, I am yet to hear even one of them give a viable alternative explanation. The ID folks concentrate on criticizing evolution and saying "that cant happen" or "that is imp ...[text shortened]... in every single mutation? Or do you actually accept that evolution is taking place?
    God done it.

That is the universal theistic answer to everything. It's not meant to have any explanatory power, but just removes all questions from play.
  3. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    27 Oct '06 12:502 edits
    However, I am yet to hear even one of them give a viable alternative explanation. The ID folks concentrate on criticizing evolution and saying "that cant happen" or "that is imp in every single mutation? Or do you actually accept that evolution is taking place?
    do you take the theory of evolution to be the "proper" explanation? that is to say, you beleive that evolution is a fact, and you would present it is such?

also, i don't have my bible with me but if i remember correctly after the flood God made rocks into people. thus, not everyone is decended from noah. also, noah was thousands of years ago. quite a lot of generations have passed and thus enormous genetic diversity...
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Oct '06 13:32
    Originally posted by genius
    do you take the theory of evolution to be the "proper" explanation? that is to say, you beleive that evolution is a fact, and you would present it is such?

also, i don't have my bible with me but if i remember correctly after the flood God made rocks into people. thus, not everyone is decended from noah. also, noah was thousands of years ago. quite a lot of generations have passed and thus enormous genetic diversity...
    When Noah put two of everything in the Ark, where did he put the dinosaurs? Must have been a BIG ark, and why did they not survive the flood?
  5. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    27 Oct '06 14:12

Do you believe the sun will rise tomorrow? Would you present the claim that the sun will rise tomorrow as a fact?
  6. Joined
    21 Dec '05
    Moves
    27 Oct '06 14:33
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    When Noah put two of everything in the Ark, where did he put the dinosaurs? Must have been a BIG ark, and why did they not survive the flood?
    I think it was the size of their suitcases.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    27 Oct '06 14:41
    He put them on the ark with everything else, you think he would have
    had to put the full grown ones on it?
    Kelly
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    27 Oct '06 14:42
    However, I am yet to hear even one of them give a viable alternative explanation. The ID folks concentrate on criticizing evolution and saying "that cant happen" or "that is imp ...[text shortened]... in every single mutation? Or do you actually accept that evolution is taking place?
    Evolution does not talk about how life got here, it is only a process.
    The debate about that process is how did it all start, and what was
    the beginning of it.
    Kelly
  9. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    27 Oct '06 14:481 edit

I don't remember anything about God making rocks into people. In fact, I'm positive that's not in the Bible. Maybe you are thinking of Lot's wife becoming a pillar of salt?

Anyway, I'm curious to hear an explaination of the diversity of life as well. How is it consistent with the fossil and DNA records? What are the mechanisms behind change across populations?
  10. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    27 Oct '06 15:07
    Originally posted by telerion
    I don't remember anything about God making rocks into people. In fact, I'm positive that's not in the Bible. Maybe you are thinking of Lot's wife becoming a pillar of salt?

Anyway, I'm curious to hear an explaination of the diversity of life as well. How is it consistent with the fossil and DNA records? What are the mechanisms behind change across populations?
    i found an online bible-and i must have been imagining it. can't think where i got it from!
  11. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    27 Oct '06 19:29
    It's interesting that this thread is having such a hard time taking off while "What is Wrong with Evolution" has broken the longest thread record probably five times over.

Say's something about the sad state and purpose of ID/Creationism.
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    27 Oct '06 19:53
    Originally posted by telerion
    It's interesting that this thread is having such a hard time taking off while "What is Wrong with Evolution" has broken the longest thread record probably five times over.

Say's something about the sad state and purpose of ID/Creationism.
    Or the sad state of evolution.
    Kelly
  13. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    27 Oct '06 22:16
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Or the sad state of evolution.
    Kelly
    C'mon Kelly.
    Stop listening to this ID crap for a minute and accept that while you don't believe it, and you remain adamant about its place as a belief - evolution is NOT in any sad state.
  14. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    27 Oct '06 22:18
    What no one ever seems to discuss with this Noah rubbish is how viable populations of all species arose from just two individuals?
    I mean, if a species on Earth today has only two individuals left - they're goners, and considered so. The lack of genetic diversity in two makes the likelihood of viability just about zero.
    How did Noah get around this?
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Oct '06 22:43
    Originally posted by amannion
    What no one ever seems to discuss with this Noah rubbish is how viable populations of all species arose from just two individuals?
    I mean, if a species on Earth today has only two individuals left - they're goners, and considered so. The lack of genetic diversity in two makes the likelihood of viability just about zero.
    How did Noah get around this?
    God done it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree