Alternatives to Evolution

Alternatives to Evolution

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
30 Oct 06
1 edit

Originally posted by scottishinnz
Go tell that to Einstein.
Again with the arrogance. Where within the Big Bang theory does it say matter started with the Big Bang?

EDIT: Einstein, of course, initially did not believe in an expanding universe.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
30 Oct 06

SS, have you ever heard of Neil Turok and Paul Steinhardt? http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/story/0,,1768191,00.html

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
30 Oct 06

Originally posted by no1marauder
SS, have you ever heard of Neil Turok and Paul Steinhardt? http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/story/0,,1768191,00.html
The eternal return. Time for a new science fiction series--"The Ragnarok Effect", or something.

Moves
30 Oct 06

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
Because they are by definition meaningless?
Your definition?

Moves
30 Oct 06

I've explained this to you countless times. I'll do it once more. Every other bang than the Big Bang happen within the universe. The big Bang, by definition, does not occur within the universe, it is the phenomenon which creates the universe. As cause and effect are properties of this universe, and only operate within the universe, trying to apply them to the Big Bang is non-sensical.
And you call this "science"?

Cape Town

Moves
30 Oct 06

I still don't see anyone offering information on how the genetic diversity came about without some significant amount of evolution taking place.
For example, some people have in the past claimed that micro evolution takes place but that one of the following is true, though the statements change over time:
1. No new species can arise.
2. No new organs can appear.
3. No new 'types' or 'kinds' can arise.
4. Natural selection does not take place.
If we take the example of tortoises, I have personally seen a number of different species of tortoise. So either Noah had a pair of each species or statement 1. is false. If Noah had only one pair and all the species developed from that pair then what cause the amazing variations? God? Random chance? Natural selection?

Another question is how did fresh water fish survive the flood?

Moves
30 Oct 06
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
I still don't see anyone offering information on how the genetic diversity came about without some significant amount of evolution taking place.
For example, some people have in the past claimed that micro evolution takes place but that one of the following is true, though the statements change over time:
1. No new species can arise.
2. No new organs c ance? Natural selection?

Another question is how did fresh water fish survive the flood?
Microevolution is scientifically demonstratable and reproducable. The rock-frog-brid-fish-ape-human (whatever) chain has never been demonstrated to be possible.

With regards to your question on the fresh water fish:
http://www.answersingenesis.org/Home/Area/AnswersBook/fish14.asp

Cape Town

Moves
30 Oct 06

Originally posted by dj2becker
Microevolution is scientifically demonstratable and reproducable. The rock-frog-bird-fish-ape-human (whatever) chain has never been demonstrated to be possible.
1. Has it been demonstrated as impossible. (The only criticism presented in the very long "whats wrong with evolution thread" was a 'lack of evidence' claim. Nobody presented conflicting evidence.)
2. Are there demonstrable boundaries on what is possible. Suggestions of a 'kind' barrier have been made without any supporting evidence. (The species barrier idea has been refuted without doubt.)
3. The main object of this thread was to look for alternative explanations. So far all I see is more "whats wrong with evolution". Does this mean that the Noah's flood story cannot be investigated scientifically and no evidence other than the Bible can be provided?

g
Wayward Soul

Your Blackened Sky

Moves
30 Oct 06

Yes I do.

[b]also, i don't have my bible with me but if i remember correctly after the flood God made rocks into people. thus, not everyone is descended from Noah. also, Noah was thousands of years ago. quite a lot of generations have passed and thus enormous genetic diversity...

I didn't know that bit about new people from rocks.
But your mentio ...[text shortened]... ing in the failure of the organism. This implies you accept at least some evolutionary theory.[/b]
then why did you call it a theory?

(sorry-cheap dig, but it's true. it's just a theory but people tend to treat it as a universal truth, so to speak.)

i got the new people from rocks from greek mythology. i have a wierd memory...i must have picked that up when i did ancient greece in school-in p5. when i was 10...

i accept that animals adapt. this has been shown many a time and if you don't beleive that you're probabaly a conspiracy theorist. animals adapting, as i understand it, is not a theory, thus is not incorportated in the theory of evolution.

basically, adaptation has been shown to happen. evolution hasn't. it is a theory. treat it as such.

Cape Town

Moves
30 Oct 06

Originally posted by genius

(sorry-cheap dig, but it's true. it's just a theory but people tend to treat it as a universal truth, so to speak.)

i got the new people from rocks from greek mythology. i have a wierd memory...i must have picked that up when i did ancient greece in school-in p5. when i was 10...

i accept that animals adapt. this ha ...[text shortened]... y, adaptation has been shown to happen. evolution hasn't. it is a theory. treat it as such.
Please look up the definition of the word theory in a scientific context.

An understanding of adaptation is a significant part of the Theory of Evolution.

Evolution has been shown to happen so is it now fact in your books? (or are you a conspiracy theorist?)

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
30 Oct 06

Originally posted by genius

i accept that animals adapt. this ha ...[text shortened]... y, adaptation has been shown to happen. evolution hasn't. it is a theory. treat it as such.
Go back to math, science isn't your thing. Evolution is a scientific theory. So is Gravity. And Relativity.

If it can't be stated as a simple axiom (like say Newton's laws) then it becomes a scientific theory. That doesn't mean it is a guess.

g
Wayward Soul

Your Blackened Sky

Moves
30 Oct 06
1 edit

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
Go back to math, science isn't your thing. Evolution is a scientific theory. So is Gravity. And Relativity.

If it can't be stated as a simple axiom (like say Newton's laws) then it becomes a scientific theory. That doesn't mean it is a guess.
no, it's not just a guess. instead, it is what is widely perceived to be the best explanation. that doesn't mean it is true.

in maths we deal with proofs. i have books on my reading list that are 50 years old. i have friends who have books that they bought last year which are now out of date. they study biology, physics and the like. scientific theories change. you never know, a body of a 4000 year old man might be dug up tomorrow which will changed everything...

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
30 Oct 06

Does this mean you accept the process as viable assuming that life got started.
No, and if you have followed the discussion you would know evolution
does not deal with how life got started, it is only a process. My faith
doesn't even come into play to say that.
Kelly

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
30 Oct 06

I've explained this to you countless times. I'll do it once more. Every other bang than the Big Bang happen within the universe. The big Bang, by definition, does not occur within the universe, it is the phenomenon which creates the universe. As cause and effect are properties of this universe, and only operate within the universe, trying to apply them to the Big Bang is non-sensical.
The same is true of God, God created the universe.
Kelly

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
30 Oct 06
1 edit

Originally posted by KellyJay
The same is true of God, God created the universe.
Kelly
er...no, It was Harry the Hobgoblin...God is just a big lie that he and his mate Sally made up to amuse themselves...they later felt guilty about it and made themselves disappear, the jam sandwich lies half eaten somewhere in the universe though.

and that is the truth!!...I have faith so it must be 😉 (and it says so in the Hobgobble)