1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '14 08:09
    I had a question yesterday, you know who he is, on where I stand in religious matters. Am I a true christian?

And I have to answer - no.

Whenever I see christian hostilities, christian insults, christian terrorism, christian full-of-it, christian discrimination, christian ***phobia of various kinds, christian intollerance, christian who act badly in the name of Jesus Christ, and such I think, well, that's only individuals who think they have the right to be like that, that's not christians in general. But when I wait for christians who say no, that's not the way to behave if you are a christian, that is not following the words of Christ, then I wait in vain, then it's only crickets playing I hear. (Of course there are exceptions, but they are much rarer.)

Would I like to be christian among christians? Do I want to be responsible to the everyday christians that look the other way? Where is the christian warmth, the christian love, the everything that Jesus was but christians are not? Have the christians forgot the most important things since the footstep of Christ? Yes, I honestly think so. As long christians act in the name of God, anything is permitted.

Therefore I cannot share my religion with christians. And of the same reason I cannot share my religion with muslims. And of the same reason I cannot share my religion with jews. Because of the monstrous actions, and the silence afterwards. Sorry.

But of course there are a lot of good christians, a lot of good muslims, and a lot of good jews. But they are still the silent majority.

If I would be an active christian, then the first thing I would do is to find me a decent christian community, a church, where I would feel welcome. If the welcoming pastor, priest, starting to ask me question about my beliefs, and when he understands that I am a person who like to think for myself, and not agree to him to the minuscule detail, then he starts to insult me. Calling me names. Ignorant, stupid, moron, evil, led by Satan, and such, then I would quickly turn around and leave and never come back. This is how I am treated by christian loud-voices, even here at RHP. When I pose an honest question, I get reactions such as those described above.

Let me make an experiment: "I believe in evolution". And now I wait for reactions. And when you see the negative reactions, the name-calling, then you know that I am right.

I am a seeker who seeks for the ultimate truth. I will never get to this truth, but I am happy as long I come closer to it, even if I have a long ways still to go.

So this is my answer to the title question, and the motivation.
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Feb '14 08:50
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I had a question yesterday, you know who he is, on where I stand in religious matters. Am I a true christian?

Whenever I see christian hostilities, christian insults, christian terrorism, christian full-of-it, christian discrimination, christian ***phobia of various kinds, christian intollerance, christian who act badly i ...[text shortened]... have a long ways still to go.

Do you do birthday parties?

I have a nine-soon-to-be-ten-year-old birthday coming up within the next couple of months, and I bet you'd be just such a hoot at it!

Let me know soon so I can cancel the reservation we have for Bobo the Fetus-Juggling-Clown we have booked.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    27 Feb '14 09:09

Whenever I see christian hostilities, christian insults, christian terrorism, christian full-of-it, christian discrimination, christian ***phobia of various kinds, christian intollerance, christian who act badly i ...[text shortened]... have a long ways still to go.

"I am a seeker who seeks for the ultimate truth. I will never get to this truth, but I am happy as long I come closer to it, even if I have a long ways still to go."

Fabian, here's an outline of the Doctrinal Tenets of Christianity for your review: Thread 158140
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '14 09:171 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "I am a seeker who seeks for the ultimate truth. I will never get to this truth, but I am happy as long I come closer to it, even if I have a long ways still to go."

Fabian, here's an outline of the Doctrinal Tenets of Christianity for your review: Thread 158140
    That's only a quote from another who thinks he has the Ultimate Truth in his hand. I've read it before. It doesn't work that way.
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    27 Feb '14 11:271 edit

I think you are on the right track. How you actually live is far more important that what you claim with your mouth to be. There are mouth worshiping Christians who Jesus will call hypocrites and who will not be worthy on the day of judgement. Then there are those who do not need to call themselves anything since their actions speak volumes. They are charitable and loving and giving. These are those who Christ said he will reward [see Matt 25].

1John 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

Love is the fulfillment of the law. What is the point of claiming to be a Christian and your life is full of hatred and sin and worldiness and selfishness. The world is full of such Christians who are going nowhere.

You are on the right path. You dont need to find God or Christ. They will find you and they will 'live' with you if you follow the course of righteousness:

John14:23 .. If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Feb '14 12:031 edit

I am always interested when someone states that they would become an 'active Christian', active doing what?
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '14 12:26
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I am always interested when someone states that they would become an 'active Christian', active doing what?
    Good question.

An active christian is a christian that have decided to be/stay a christian. Not his/her father/mother, nor the priest nor anyone else. He want it to be christian by his very own decision.

Then we have traditional christians who doesn't make any decision to be/stay a christian. They just are christians by tradition, no more.

This is how I see it.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    27 Feb '14 12:28
    That's only a quote from another who thinks he has the Ultimate Truth in his hand. I've read it before. It doesn't work that way.
    Is there a predetermined "way" to seek "the Ultimate truth"? If so, please spell it out. Thanks for reading these tenets.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Feb '14 12:34
    Good question.

An active christian is a christian that have decided to be/stay a christian. Not his/her father/mother, nor the priest nor anyone else. He want it to be christian by his very own decision.

Then we have traditional christians who doesn't make any decision to be/stay a christian. They just are christians by tradition, no more.

This is how I see it.
    that would be a Christian who through their own volition adopted the teachings of Christ which is fine, but activity has connotations of actions, does it not? and its this which forms the essence of my question, just what is an active Christian and what do they do? for it appears to me that because of the clergy laity distinction among most of Christianity the vast majority of Christians dont do any activity or at least none that could be equally performed by non Christians like humanitarian works.
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '14 12:37
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Is there a predetermined "way" to seek "the Ultimate truth"? If so, please spell it out. Thanks for reading these tenets.
    I see knowledge as a big jigsaw puzzle. Sometimes you find a piece that fits in your personal puzzle, making the picture becoming clearer. Sometimes you have to rearrange some pieces to make fit another important piece. Some pieces doesn't belong anywhere, so you save them in a box for later use. And some pieces will not ever fit so you just trow them away.

To find new pieces you have to read, and ask, and observer, and think. Sometimes you have to ask silly questions to be surprised of an answer in a totally new light.

You will never be finished with this puzzle, ever. But when you look at the puzzle, as far as you have puzzled it, you find deeper truths in the pattern. But you will never see the total picture of the puzzle.

Why? Because the puzzle has infinitely many number of pieces.

I can only describe the way to seek the Ultimate Truth in this way. The parable is not flawless, and I can imagine that there are countless other ways to se the Ultimate Truth. I'm just happy to find a new piece of the puzzle to fit somewhere.
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '14 12:44
    that would be a Christian who through their own volition adopted the teachings of Christ which is fine, but activity has connotations of actions, does it not? and its this which forms the essence of my question, just what is an active Christian and what do they do? for it appears to me that because of the clergy laity distinction among most of Christ ...[text shortened]... vity or at least none that could be equally performed by non Christians like humanitarian works.
    Perhaps I use the wrong word. English is not my native language.

As I see it - Traditionalist christians are just born into their beliefs, by tradition, they haven't taken an active step to be christians, they just are. But to call the others for non-traditional christians sounds wrong. No, I rather call them active christians, who have taken an active decision, hence active christians.

Please - propose a better word of what I want to define.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Feb '14 14:381 edit
    Perhaps I use the wrong word. English is not my native language.

As I see it - Traditionalist christians are just born into their beliefs, by tradition, they haven't taken an active step to be christians, they just are. But to call the others for non-traditional christians sounds wrong. No, I rather call them active christians, who have taken an active decision, hence active christians.

Please - propose a better word of what I want to define.
    sure thing, I would suspect that a better term might be 'self professed', Christians as opposed to nominal Christians, that is those who are Christian in name only.
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '14 14:40
    sure thing, I would suspect that a better term might be 'self professed', Christians as opposed to nominal Christians, that is those who are Christian in name only.
    Sounds good to me.

And what do you call the others? Is "traditionalist christian" a good word for that?
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Feb '14 14:491 edit
    Sounds good to me.

And what do you call the others? Is "traditionalist christian" a good word for that?
    Its hard to say, people say they are 'active Christians', even here in Scotland and I am always somewhat intrigued to understand what they mean, usually its organising activity within their respective churches, coffee mornings, bingo, jumble sales, baking to raise funds, sponsored walks for charity etc traditionalist might be a good appellation, I dunno.
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '14 14:57
    Its hard to say, people say they are 'active Christians', even here in Scotland and I am always somewhat intrigued to understand what they mean, usually its organising activity within their respective churches, coffee mornings, bingo, jumble sales, baking to raise funds, sponsored walks for charity etc traditionalist might be a good appellation, I dunno.
    Ah, now I understand what you mean. They say they are true christians, go to church, enjoy charity and so on, but haven't ever had a thought for themselves, from their own mind about what it is all about. Are they active? Yes. Are they conscious of their faith? Well, perhaps not.

But I'm not the one who should judge, not at all. As long they don't anything wrong, and are doing what they like, and are happy about it, then it doesn't matter.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree