Ambivalent atheism

Ambivalent atheism

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
05 Nov 15

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
While you're down there...
Rodger you senseless?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
05 Nov 15

It appears as though you are misunderstanding the wide range of work which fits under the umbrella of lexicography.

[/b]
I was educating you on one point - not providing a job description for lexicographer.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
05 Nov 15

It appears as though most people consider the term atheist to mean someone who claims they do not believe in God---...[/b]
Not one of your definitions says this.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
06 Nov 15

Originally posted by Proper Knob
Rodger you senseless?
Far be it from me to tell you how to do your job.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
06 Nov 15

Originally posted by wolfgang59
I was educating you on one point - not providing a job description for lexicographer.
Thanks for the education while you missed the point being pursued in the first place.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
06 Nov 15

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Not one of your definitions says this.
Of course they don't "say" this; the general consensus regarding the term is a rejection of God.
What the brave new select few are attempting to do is change the term from 'a rejection of' to 'a lack of thought of' and for obvious reasons.

And as proof of this, simply consider the current discussion.

Some within this thread are complaining of the move to add to the term or to frame it as something other than what is commonly held in the sense of meaning.
If this were not the case, literally none of this conversation would be happening.
None, as in zero.
It is the entire point of the complaint: why is there any effort spent on augmentation of the term when there is a perfectly suitable understanding of the concept already in place?

The answer is appallingly simple: some atheists wish to manipulate the language to accommodate their aggressive disdain for anything related to God but they are unwilling to appear as the aggressors.

Folks like Dawkins and Harris are manifestly obvious in their desperately immature grasp at relevance without accountability.

They're more humorous than ever intended.

F

Moves
06 Nov 15

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
Atheism actually shows strength of character.
Atheists here in Indonesia who are open and vocal are certainly courageous and principled.

F

Moves
06 Nov 15

Some within this thread are complaining of the move to add to the term or to frame it as something other than what is commonly held in the sense of meaning. If this were not the case, literally none of this conversation would be happening. None, as in zero. It is the entire point of the complaint: why is there any effort spent on augmentation of the term when there is a perfectly suitable understanding of the concept already in place?

You should have a listen to the podcast.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
06 Nov 15

Originally posted by FMF
[b]Some within this thread are complaining of the move to add to the term or to frame it as something other than what is commonly held in the sense of meaning. If this were not the case, literally none of this conversation would be happening. None, as in zero. It is the entire point of the complaint: why is there any effort spent on augmentation of the term when ...[text shortened]... e understanding of the concept already in place?

You should have a listen to the podcast.[/b]
Nah.
I'm good.
I never got too much into fantasy crap, so why start now?

F

Moves
06 Nov 15

Nah.
I'm good.
Which bit of the discussion in the podcast was "fantasy crap"?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
06 Nov 15

Of course they don't "say" this; the general consensus regarding the term is a rejection of God.
You cited 4 dictionary definitions then provided your own!
You effectively killed your own argument.

btw Did you look up "sycophantic"?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
06 Nov 15

Thanks for the education....
We try.
But I think you are a lost cause.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
06 Nov 15

Originally posted by FMF
I don't have a religion and don't claim to have one. Did you not read my post?
So you ARE atheist? Which is it, now?

Did you not read my post?

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
06 Nov 15

Nah.
I'm good.
Says the man who subscribes to the Ancient Jewish Zombie story. You couldn't make it up.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
06 Nov 15

Originally posted by Suzianne
So you ARE atheist? Which is it, now?

Did you not read my post?
Are you dense?