Ambivalent atheism

Ambivalent atheism

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cape Town

Moves
06 Nov 15

Originally posted by Suzianne
So you ARE atheist?
Nothing he said should lead you to believe that. Unless you have a definition of 'atheist' that nobody else here is aware of. Perhaps you should explain further how you came to that conclusion?

F

Moves
06 Nov 15

So you ARE atheist? Which is it, now?

Did you not read my post?
Yes I did read your post. I'm not an atheist ~ this must be the 10th or 12th time I have told you this in posts directly addressed to you, and the umpteenth time I've pointed it out on this forum.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
07 Nov 15
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Yes I did read your post. I'm not an atheist ~ this must be the 10th or 12th time I have told you this in posts directly addressed to you, and the umpteenth time I've pointed it out on this forum.
And yet you seem to be ambivalent about it.

Let's recap:

So, your only "religion" is that there "may" be a God, but you don't know Him, nor even who He is.

You *don't* have a religion and *don't* claim to have one.

Your "God" seems to be a remarkably "puny" God.

As I said, you might as well be atheist.

F

Moves
07 Nov 15
1 edit

Let's recap:

So, your only "religion" is that there "may" be a God, but you don't know Him, nor even who He is.

I don't have a religion. I am not religious. But I am not an atheist because I have a gut feeling that there is a God. I have seen no convincing evidence that He has revealed Himself to anyone, and certainly not to you - judging by the things you base your beliefs on, the things you say, and the way you behave. I'm not going to join your religion, that's for sure. 😉

Cape Town

Moves
07 Nov 15

Actually, you followed that up by suggesting that he is an atheist. Why did you do that when it is blatantly obvious to all that he is not?

F

Moves
07 Nov 15

Puny?

F

Moves
07 Nov 15

So you ARE atheist?
No.

Moves
07 Nov 15

As opposed to your god that gets bent all out of shape by someone masturbating...

If FMF's 'gut feeling god' is a universe creating one, what makes it any more or less 'puny' than yours?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
07 Nov 15

Your puny god let his son be hammered to a cross.
My god (Odin) gives his son a bloody big hammer.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
07 Nov 15

Let's recap:

FMF's self-description seem to me to be the description of a weakly theistic agnostic. To be consistent with your comments in the other current thread where the atheist/agnostic distinction has come up you should be respecting his position.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
07 Nov 15

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Your puny god let his son be hammered to a cross.
My god (Odin) gives his son a bloody big hammer.
Odin allowed himself to be hanged from the World Tree as a sacrifice to himself. He will be eaten by the Wolf Frenrir during Ragnorak. Since the Christians claim unqualified victory in their analogous battle I don't think you are in a great position in a "yours is a puny god" competition.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
09 Nov 15
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
sonship, if I may ask, did you listen to the podcast?
I will trade you one and listen to it if no technical problems interfere.

Here's the trade -

Why the New Atheists are Missing the Target? - John Lennox 2015

( I am listening now - 28 minutes )

F

Moves
09 Nov 15

Originally posted by sonship
I will trade you one and listen to it if no technical problems interfere.

Here's the trade -

[b] Why the New Atheists are Missing the Target? - John Lennox 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktwzyUa-g1w

( I am listening now - 28 minutes )[/b]
Start a thread about it. This thread is about the podcast in the OP and about the terminology it discusses.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
09 Nov 15

Originally posted by FMF
Start a thread about it. This thread is about the podcast in the OP and about the terminology it discusses.
I don't feel to go that far. But it talked about old age and various attitudes of Atheism which go against certain popularized stereo-types. It talked about these differences as they relate to living in the UK verses living in the US.

I listened to the whole thing. I listened to the final few minutes twice. I don't know what else to mention except it deals with the problems of labels for people with nuanced degrees of disbelief or unbelief in God.

It seemed to me to take awhile to get to things related to the title of the show. I think it seemed like more than one program segment (?)

F

Moves
09 Nov 15

Originally posted by sonship
I don't feel to go that far. But it talked about old age and various attitudes of Atheism which go against certain popularized stereo-types. It talked about these differences as they relate to living in the UK verses living in the US.

I listened to the whole thing. I listened to the final few minutes twice. I don't know what else to mention except it dea ...[text shortened]... hings related to the title of the show. I think it seemed like more than one program segment (?)
It's a weekly 30 minute discussion programme on sociology and things like ethnography ~ with an emphasis of current or new research. There are typically a couple of main topics for the week - on that occasion the first topic covered was old age and neoliberalism.