"an ancient dilemma..."

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
05 Jun 13

Originally posted by twhitehead

1. Why do you think anyone would reject the offer?
2. Why did you reject the offer?
3. Why are you going to great lengths to avoid answering these questions?
1. Why do you think anyone would reject the offer? = disinterest; distrust; denial: resulting in negative volition.

2. Why did you reject the offer? = early acceptance; continuing hunger to know its giver more intimately, since.

3. Why are you going to great lengths to avoid answering these questions? = n/a.

Cape Town

Moves
05 Jun 13

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
1. Why do you think anyone would reject the offer? [b]= disinterest; distrust; denial: resulting in negative volition.[/b]
Why do you think anyone would be disinterested, distrusting or in denial? It seems to me to be the sort of offer that nobody would think twice about and would accept without question - assuming they thought the offer was genuine.

2. Why did you reject the offer? [b]= early acceptance; continuing hunger to know its giver more intimately, since.[/b]
I thought you said you rejected the offer (repeatedly). Did I misunderstand you?
Did the offer give you much pause for thought?

3. Why are you going to great lengths to avoid answering these questions? [b]= n/a.[/b]
OK. It is easy to misunderstand people on the internet. My mistake.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
05 Jun 13
1 edit

Why do you think anyone would be disinterested, distrusting or in denial? It seems to me to be the sort of offer that nobody would think twice about and would accept without question - assuming they thought the offer was genuine.

[b]2. Why did you reject the offer? [b]= early acceptance; continuing hunger to know its giver more intimately, since.
...[text shortened]... uestions? = n/a.[/b]
OK. It is easy to misunderstand people on the internet. My mistake.[/b]
Why do you think anyone would be disinterested, distrusting or in denial? < Pride of Selfhood; Arrogance of Position; and Bull Dogmatic Stubbornness in letting go of their own imagined sovereignty. It seems to me to be the sort of offer that nobody would think twice about and would accept without question - assuming they thought the offer was genuine. <Prudent people reflect prior to making irreversible business; romantic; and intensely personal/eternal decisons.

2. Why did you reject the offer? < early acceptance; continuing hunger to know its giver more intimately, since.
I thought you said you rejected the offer (repeatedly). Did I misunderstand you? < Yes.
Did the offer give you much pause for thought? <Intermittently, for a few months.

3. Why are you going to great lengths to avoid answering these questions? = n/a.
OK. It is easy to misunderstand people on the internet. My mistake. <We're good.

Cape Town

Moves
05 Jun 13
1 edit

< Pride of Selfhood; Arrogance of Position; and Bull Dogmatic Stubbornness in letting go of their own imagined sovereignty.
So do you think I have rejected the offer? Do you think it is for any of those reasons?
Or is this in reference to other people as yet unnamed?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
05 Jun 13

Originally posted by twhiometehead
So do you think I have rejected the offer? Do you think it is for any of those reasons?
Waiting on a taxi for grocery shopping and errands. Be home later today.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
05 Jun 13
3 edits

"an ancient dilemma..."

"Let's say there's an ancient dilemma facing us all in present time. If there is an alive and powerful, eternal entity who/which has offered each of us the unearned and undeserved gift of permanent relationship which we individually reject [and repeatedly reject], isn't it reasonable to expect eternal separation as the only viable alternative? Your comments" (OP)

"Why do you think anyone would be disinterested, distrusting or in denial? < Pride of Selfhood; Arrogance of Position; and Bull Dogmatic Stubbornness in letting go of their own imagined sovereignty." (gb)

"So do you think I have rejected the offer? Do you think it is for any of those reasons?
Or is this in reference to other people as yet unnamed?"

> twhitehead, during the past few days, you've asked several questions about significant life altering decisions I've made. Though you may have anticipated the gradual answers, awareness of the factual content was mine all along. Similarly, whether you've accepted or rejected the offer that's still on the table is known to you alone. And, I wouldn't probe.

> If you've rejected God's Gracious Offer of a Permanent Personal Relationship, it's most likely because of a combination of Pride, Arrogance and Stubbornness (in letting go of an imagined sovereignty in the matter), as it was for me at an earlier time. No, there's isn't any reference to other unnamed people. Meddling with a Long Proboscis isn't my obsession. -Bob

Cape Town

Moves
05 Jun 13

Similarly, whether you've accepted or rejected the offer that's still on the table is known to you alone. And, I wouldn't probe.
But you do believe that there are people out there who have rejected it. Do you know of any such person? And to clarify my own position, I have not knowingly rejected any such offer and do not think I would reject such an offer. I am however not convinced that such an offer is being made, so am not actually considering rejecting or accepting such an offer.

No, there's isn't any reference to other unnamed people. Meddling with a Long Proboscis isn't my obsession. -Bob
So you were not referencing me, nor anyone else? Your not making a lot of sense.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
05 Jun 13

Originally posted by kiki46
Dear mankind,

We are offering a special gift
with no strings attached. It is
found in John 3: 16. To all who
accept it there will be a celebration
party in heaven with many
remarkable rewards.

Date to be announced. Please R.S.V.P before D.O.A.

Love God
Wouldn't it be remarkable if suddenly this appeared as a full page ad in every single newspaper in the world?

Plausible deniability would act to keep Free Will intact on this one, too.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
05 Jun 13

GB, this was the single most wise thing you've ever said in this forum:

Apparently we have no common ground, twhitehead. Thanks for contributing to the conversation.

Then you had to let yourself be sucked back in. I know that nature abhors a vacuum... there's a reason for that.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
05 Jun 13

But you do believe that there are people out there who have rejected it. Do you know of any such person? And to clarify my own position, I have not knowingly rejected any such offer and do not think I would reject such an offer. I am however not convinced that such an offer is being made, so am not actually considering rejecting or accepting such an offer ...[text shortened]... n. -Bob
So you were not referencing me, nor anyone else? Your not making a lot of sense.[/b]
Manipulation: 10
Maneuvering: 10
Game Theory: 10
Sincerity: 0
Conviction: 0

Faith: 0
Hope: 0
Love: 0

Value: 0

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
05 Jun 13

Originally posted by Suzianne
GB, this was the single most wise thing you've ever said in this forum:

[b]Apparently we have no common ground, twhitehead. Thanks for contributing to the conversation.

Then you had to let yourself be sucked back in. I know that nature abhors a vacuum... there's a reason for that.[/b]
Suzi, in chess games against new or less experienced players, (as Robert Frost said) "I run with the hound but die with the hare". Yes, this forum can become a losing proposition when tedious people abound. Yet, there's something to be said for The Doubting Thomas/Missouri MO. They recognize their emptiness and awkwardness. Hard to turn a deaf ear. -Bob

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
05 Jun 13

Originally posted by Suzianne
Wouldn't it be remarkable if suddenly this appeared as a full page ad in every single newspaper in the world?

Plausible deniability would act to keep Free Will intact on this one, too.
Yep, kiki46 got his oar in at the right time.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
05 Jun 13

But you do believe that there are people out there who have rejected it. Do you know of any such person? And to clarify my own position, I have not knowingly rejected any such offer and do not think I would reject such an offer. I am however not convinced that such an offer is being made, so am not actually considering rejecting or accepting such an offer ...[text shortened]... n. -Bob
So you were not referencing me, nor anyone else? Your not making a lot of sense.[/b]
Nap Time. Then, an hour long MP3CD as is my daily schedule. Be back later this evening. Thanks for your further probe. Any chance of a revision with fewer words? (gb)

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
05 Jun 13
1 edit

Originally posted by kiki46
Dear mankind,

with no strings attached*. It is
remarkable rewards.

Dear mankind,

with no strings attached*. It is
remarkable rewards.

Love God[/b]

* - if you fail to RSVP, you will be attending the barbeque on the other side of town. Jay Leno will be hosting and the musical guests will be Michael Bolton and the Backstreet Boys. Enjoy!!! bwahaha

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
06 Jun 13

But you do believe that there are people out there who have rejected it. Do you know of any such person? And to clarify my own position, I have not knowingly rejected any such offer and do not think I would reject such an offer. I am however not convinced that such an offer is being made, so am not actually considering rejecting or accepting such an offer. ...[text shortened]... ne else? Your not making a lot of sense.
[Original Bolding Removed to minimize distraction. gb]
There is one stern reality that neither you nor I can ignore or deny: At some point in a time not of our choosing, we both shall die. Cessation of Brain Function, Loss of Heart Pulsation and the Absence of All Sensation will occur.The question we must both ask ourselves has been implied before: Where will our beings (our personalities, memories, acquired knowledge, vocabularies, etc.) then reside? Also, do we know with an absolute confidence that we will be safe and happy forever?

Note: I'll continue this attempt at simplification with direct answers to your remaining questions as we go. -Bob