1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    24 Jul '13 13:35
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I am no expert at quantum mechanics. In fact I haven't done any courses on the subject whatsoever. What little I know is from books and youtube videos.
    However, I cannot over emphasize that Quantum Mechanics [b]is
    modern physics and is not as new or as unclear as you seem to think.
    Quantum Mechanics does explain how electrons in atoms behave. I beli ...[text shortened]... m Mechanics also predicted many phenomena which were subsequently shown to exist as predicted.[/b]
    That was a kind of trick question on my behalf, I'll admit, but you really just kind of stepped around it didn't you 🙂

Quantum theory is new to the layman on the street, and given the inability for science to fully understand why 'matter' behave the way it does on a minature scale has invited all sorts of postulations from different scientists as to how to round off quantum theory as was done with relativity or gravity.
    There is string theory. There is the one where one scientist proposes an eleven dimensional theory to explain it.
    As much as quantum satisfies the predictions and calculations from other areas of science, it is in no way complete and still leaves many of the big scientific questions unanswered, despite seeming to come tantilizingly close to a TOE.
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    24 Jul '13 13:441 edit
    Originally posted by sonship
    So do you cross-reference with other history books when trying to ascertain the truths in the bible?

I take note of things written here and there. As an exhaustive exercise I do not cross reference everything. I don't think [b]everything
    can be cross referenced.

I am aware of some arguments. And I am aware of time vindicating som c visions could be how God revealed some things to the prophet. But I am not sure.[/b]
    Ok.

I've found that if your conviction about spirituality is strong enough and your ideas are good enough then you should be able to understand your faith even if you cant reference your favourite holy book. You may disagree.
    But words can be twisted , however the 'god-seed' that lies dormant in all humans does not lie. If we are truthful to ourselves and have firm beliefs about divination then these beliefs should be tested imo.
    Those beliefs which stand upto rigorous scrutiny will be shown to be sound while those that are lacking will be found out and discarded, dont you think?
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Jul '13 16:37
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    That was a kind of trick question on my behalf, I'll admit, but you really just kind of stepped around it didn't you 🙂
    Which question? The one about matter flying apart? If so, I don't think I stepped around it. I thought I said that Quantum mechanics explains the behaviour of matter.

Quantum theory is new to the layman on the street,
    Presumably so is Relativity and Newtonian physics, if they didn't go to school. I admit that Newtonian physics gets taught in schools whereas Quantum mechanics tends to be kept for university, but still, most laymen have heard of it. I certainly wouldn't call it 'new'. I am fairly sure I knew about it before university, so that would be the 1980s.

and given the inability for science to fully understand why 'matter' behave the way it does on a minature scale has invited all sorts of postulations from different scientists as to how to round off quantum theory as was done with relativity or gravity.
    I think that is a somewhat inaccurate portrayal of the situation. Not sure if I can fix it though.

There is string theory. There is the one where one scientist proposes an eleven dimensional theory to explain it.
    I see string theory as more of an attempt to find finer structure that explains some of the axioms of Quantum Mechanics rather than an attempt to deal with failures to solve equations.

As much as quantum satisfies the predictions and calculations from other areas of science, it is in no way complete and still leaves many of the big scientific questions unanswered, despite seeming to come tantilizingly close to a TOE.
    I think I agree with that. But Quantum Mechanics remains one of the most successful and most important theories in physics and it is absolutely essential for understanding how the universe works at small sizes.
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    26 Jul '13 22:56
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Which question? The one about matter flying apart? If so, I don't think I stepped around it. I thought I said that Quantum mechanics explains the behaviour of matter.

[b]Quantum theory is new to the layman on the street,

Presumably so is Relativity and Newtonian physics, if they didn't go to school. I admit that Newtonian physics gets taught in s ...[text shortened]... s and it is absolutely essential for understanding how the universe works at small sizes.[/b]
    Thanks for the measured reply. I will adjust thinking accordingly
  5. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    27 Jul '13 00:081 edit

Quantum theory is new to the layman on the street, and given the inability for science to fully understand why 'matter' behave the way it does on a minature scale has invited all sorts of postulations from different scientists as to ...[text shortened]... e big scientific questions unanswered, despite seeming to come tantilizingly close to a TOE.

IMO string theory is a scientific oddity. Observations usually come first and are followed by formulas and equations (the math) to explain those observations. That's how it usually works, but with string theory the math was actually derived from an already existing equation to explain something else. It seemed to work to overcome a few problems when reverse engineering the universe back to the singularity, so the equation was adopted (with a few changes) and became the basis for string theory. But aside from strings the math also made it necessary to acknowledge at least 10 or 11 extra dimensions, so both strings and extra dimensions were necessary theories derived from observing the math used to explain those theories.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with this, because whether you enter someplace from a backdoor or from the front (or come down the chimney) you can still find yourself where you want to be... and no matter where you go, there you are.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Jul '13 00:212 edits
    I believe one researcher followed the 'ramp theory' , factoring in slave labor, 200-400tonne blocks and the tools used at that time, including the lifespan of people of the time, and came up with that figure.
    I wonder if they had elephants? That would have made the whole thing a lot easier. They knew about kangaroo's at least. When we lived in Israel, we took a vacation in Egypt, visited the pyramids and such, and a lot more. The interesting part was our guide, Zawai Hawas, now the top archaeologist in Egypt, the Minister of antiquities. He had a TV show called Chasing Mummies. He showed us a carving on the colonnade that went from the pyramids to the sphinx and it was VERY weather worn but he showed us that it was a carving of a kangaroo. He asked us not to say anything for 6 months because he was writing a paper on that carving. It was clearly a kangaroo. There are stories that some pharaoh had tried to raise them in Egypt but the climate was not suited for them and they died out.

Just wondered if there was any evidence they could have used elephants?
    It seems a LOT more likely than frigging aliens coming down and having nothing better to do, they go, we'll help you nearly destroy your economy so your pharaoh can have a nice grave.....
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Jul '13 05:24
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I wonder if they had elephants? That would have made the whole thing a lot easier. They knew about kangaroo's at least. When we lived in Israel, we took a vacation in Egypt, visited the pyramids and such, and a lot more. The interesting part was our guide, Zawai Hawas, now the top archaeologist in Egypt, the Minister of antiquities. He had a TV show called ...[text shortened]... they go, we'll help you nearly destroy your economy so your pharaoh can have a nice grave.....
    Moses probably took all the elephants out of Eqypt with him. 😀

The Instructor
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 Jul '13 06:41
    I wonder if they had elephants? That would have made the whole thing a lot easier. They knew about kangaroo's at least. When we lived in Israel, we took a vacation in Egypt, visited the pyramids and such, and a lot more. The interesting part was our guide, Zawai Hawas, now the top archaeologist in Egypt, the Minister of antiquities. He had a TV show called ...[text shortened]... they go, we'll help you nearly destroy your economy so your pharaoh can have a nice grave.....
    In my estimates,( and they may well be off), any sort of manual labor by humans or humans and animals would have been extremely impractical and a pharaoh that wanted a nice burial chamber for his afterlife would've settled on a downsized pyramid that he was sure would've been built in his lifetime, rather than the one(s) we have.

If some alien or E.T. did interact with the people of that time with the intention of sharing technology then I doubt that what the Earth's people did afterwards was a reflection of their intentions.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Jul '13 07:10
    I wonder if they had elephants? That would have made the whole thing a lot easier.
    Not necessarily. Human labour is not always more expensive than animal labour. Notice that China managed to do perfectly well without ever really using draught animals. Horses and elephants have advantages as well as disadvantages. But in terms of feasibility, there is nothing elephants can do that 20 or so humans can't achieve. The humans can probably also work longer hours.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree