1. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    22 Feb '05 19:13
    Originally posted by stoker
    im against this as with the forward in faith within my church , but i have to say it mainly comes from paul. tho jesus had many female followers he never instructed them to teach. and all i know of marys visits to earth she has never said to my knowledge that women are to be given or allowed this.
    It was women (Mary Magdalene, alone or with other women) to whom the risen Christ was first revealed (either in person or via angelic messengers)--details vary across the Gospels--and sent with the message to the male disciples. When they told the men, they were, of course, not believed. I would interpret these stories, at least in part, as those women being given "authority" to proclaim (Preach) the Gospel message. Paul, obviously, would not have done so.

As a Lutheran and then an Anglican (Episcopal), I have known both men and women pastors and priests. I received catechetical instruction from a woman Episcopal priest. I have received the eucharist from both. There are some matters of spiritual counseling for which I might prefer to go to a man; I suspect the same is true for women the aother way around. I think that having both men and women in the clergy makes the church more whole.
  2. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    22 Feb '05 19:36
    Originally posted by stoker
    im against this as with the forward in faith within my church , but i have to say it mainly comes from paul. tho jesus had many female followers he never instructed them to teach. and all i know of marys visits to earth she has never said to my knowledge that women are to be given or allowed this.
    Why would you think that Mary has athority?
  3. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    22 Feb '05 19:41

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    22 Feb '05 20:11
    Another point is how Jesus reacted to the women around him.

A great example of Jesus' attitude toward women is illustrated in Luke 10:38-42. When Martha rebuked Mary for not helping her, Christ did not remind her that her proper role was that of serving men. Instead Christ let it be known that the important thing for Mary was at his feet learning the word of God. Christ's message was clear!

Another example is found in John 12:1-7. Again in the home of Mary and Martha the passages find "Martha serving." Mary not only stayed in the room with the men while the men were eating but also loosed her hair and washed Jesus' feet with a bottle of expensive perfume. If a Jewish woman let her hair hang naturally she was considered uncovered and if this happened in public it was grounds for divorce under Jewish law. Mary violated two of the strictest rabbinical laws yet Jesus said nothing . Christ even reprimanded those who tried to correct Mary. How would Christ feel about the restrictions placed on women in our worship services today?

Other examples of Christ's open and supporting attitude toward women are found in Luke 11:27-28; Matthew 19:3-10; Mark 10:12; Matthew 22:23-30; Luke 7:36-50; John 4: 7-30; Mark 12:38-40; Luke 18:1-8; Luke 7:11-17; and so on. Jesus often used women to illustrate his eternal lessons and truths as found in Luke 21:1-4 and many other locations. Christ through his actions stripped away centuries of male domination and religious restrictions, yet today in Christ's church the Jewish and Greek traditions of bigotry and male domination still rule! "In the context of the Judaism of his day, Jesus emerged as a unique, radical reformer of the widely-held attitudes toward women and their role in society

Jesus had women disciples (Mark 15:40-41; Matt 27:55-56) (It is

interesting to note that the word used for the women who served

Jesus is "diakoneo," the basic word for "deacon" and it honestly

describes the women that Jesus counted as his disciples.)

The women stood beside Jesus at the cross (Matt 26:56) "all the

disciples left him and fled"..."except the women" (this may be why he appeared to them first)

Jesus chose women evangelists to take the message of his

resurrection to his hiding male disciples (Matt 28:1-8)

The angel entrusted to the women to tell the disciples (Mark 16:7)

Christ met the women first and told them to take the word of His

ressurection to his brethren (Matt 28:9-10) Christ purposely chose

women first to carry the good news of the most important event in

history!

It sounds more like man wants women to be subserviant, and not Jesus.

Nyxie
  5. Graceland.
    Moves
    22 Feb '05 21:25
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    This thread gave me a chance to do a liitle homework. I found a couple of Pauline passages that could relate to this issue. The most famous is from Ephesians about wives being submissive to their husbands, but I think the more specific scripture passage is from 1 Timothy 2:11ff. where women are not to have authority over men in teaching and ordinances of the church.

I would have expected you to rattle off quite a few more. Perhaps refer to females in the OT that had been rather close to God. You could also refer to scriptures that suggest men and woman are equal. Atleast these were my thoughts on how to justify the view that women should be preachers.

One final thought. It has been my feeling for years that those most adverse to the idea of female ministers have personal issues with women that are not related to scripture as such.

This is pretty judgemental. Should someone choose to follow a literal (not that it can be any other, but I'm always amazed at some attempts) reading of 1 Cor 11, the author certainly does not believe in female preachers. As such, a person that most objects to female preachers, would be one that adheres to a pretty strict following of the Bible. Of course the Levites were men, only to marry virgins. Arbitrary perhaps, or God's wish for leadership ? Could it be that a woman (assuming a strictly messianic jewish following) could be menstruating and as such not only unfit for worship, but clearly preaching ? God seems to place a high importance on blood. (do not drink blood, do not eat bloody meat ... ) Could something as simple as a period be the deciding factor ? You tell me...

5And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head–it is just as though her head were shaved. 6If a woman does not cover her head, she should have her hair cut off; and if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut or shaved off, she should cover her head. 7A man ought not to cover his head,[a] since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. 8For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; 9neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. 10For this reason, and because of the angels, the woman ought to have a sign of authority on her head.
  6. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    22 Feb '05 21:38
    In the last days...your daughters shall prophesy...even my bondslaves, both men and women" (Acts 2:17-18) (Joel 2:28-32).

Prophesying is defined in I Cor 11:3-4 "He that prophesieth speaketh unto (Anthropois) mankind to edification and exhortation, and comfort...he that prophesieth edifieth the church." By definition prophesying was preaching. "Nothing in Paul's epistles suggest that preaching and teaching, which Paul seems to associate with prophecy, are gender-specific gifts.

God said women can and should prophesy (I Cor 11:3-5)

Examples of women prophesying and being added to the church:

1-Acts 1:14 "they all continued with one accord in prayer and

supplication, with the women and Mary..."

Acts 2:1 "all (including women) with one accord in one place"

Acts 2:4 "they were all (including women) filled with the Holy Ghost

and...spoke in tongues as the spirit gave them utterance"

Acts 2:17 "and your daughters shall prophesy"

Acts 5:14 Women were added to the church

2-Acts 21:9 Phillip's 4 daughters were prophetesses

3-Rev 2:20-23 Jezebel was accepted as a prophetess by church at Thyatira : Note: The church at Thyatira was not condemned because they had a prophetess, but rather it was condemned for Jezebel's false teachings. If women were not suppose to preach to men then this would have been the perfect place for the Lord to have made it known. Jesus could have rebuked Jezebel but instead gave her an opportunity to repent, not of the act of preaching, but instead of her immorality and error!

We know that Paul preached to both men and women. In chapter 16 of Romans, Paul mentions several women who were active in the leadership of the first century church. They are as follows:

16:1 (1) Phoebe - a deacon of the church in Cenchrea

16:3 (2) Priscilla - Paul calls her "my fellow worker"

(3) Mary, Tryphaena, Tryphosa & Persis - hard working gospel laborers

16:7 (4) Junia - a female apostle said by Paul to be "outstanding among the apostles"

Paul in the 16th chapter of Romans closes this letter by greeting twenty-eight different early church leaders, ten of them women!

Other early female church leaders found in the scriptures are:

(1) Chloe - a house church leader (I Cor 1:11)

(2) Mary (Mark's mother) - a house church leader (Acts 12:12)

Note: Many say that I Tim 3:12 excludes women as deacons/elders, however, in both cases above, the house churches were identified by the name of a female. It was customary to identify a house church by the name of its chief elder (verified in Philemon 1:2). Could it be that both Chloe and Mary were elders in these early house churches?

(3) Elect lady - (II John 1) - Most scholars agree that the term "elect

lady" was not referring to the church but rather a lady overseer of

a church. Clement of Alexandria during the second century

reinforced the fact that the "elect lady" was indeed a woman

church officer.

(4) Lydia - a house church leader (Acts 16:14-15, 40)

(5) Nympha of Laodicea - a house church leader (Col 4:15)

(6) Apphia - assisted Archippus as a house church leader

(7) Priscilla - she and her husband conducted a church in their house (I Cor 16:19)

Note: The customary way of addressing a husband and wife was to always address the husband's name first. However, Priscilla was oftentimes mentioned first which indicates that perhaps she was the chief teacher of the two (Rom 16:3; 2 Tim 4:19, Acts 18:18, 26).

Am I getting through yet?

Nyxie
  7. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    22 Feb '05 21:48
    Originally posted by Nyxie
    In the last days...your daughters shall prophesy...even my bondslaves, both men and women" (Acts 2:17-18) (Joel 2:28-32).

Prophesying is defined in I Cor 11:3-4 "He that prophesieth speaketh unto (Anthropois) mankind to edification and exhortation, and comfort...he that prophesieth edifieth the church." By definition prophesying was preaching. "Nothi ...[text shortened]... acher of the two (Rom 16:3; 2 Tim 4:19, Acts 18:18, 26).

Nyxie

Two questions, not meant to offend:

Are you a female ?

Would you like to be ordained as a female-priest yourself ?
  8. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    22 Feb '05 21:54
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

Two questions, not meant to offend:

Are you a female ?

Would you like to be ordained as a female-priest yourself ?
    The first question : Does my argument and it's merit hinge on the fact of my gender?

The second question I answer as no.

Nyxie
  9. Graceland.
    Moves
    22 Feb '05 21:581 edit

Nyxie

Whilst I am as yet undecided on my view on the matter, you need to address scriptures which oppose your views, instead of simply stating where it has been accepted. No-one is claiming (certainly none of the deciples) that women were not able of speaking in tongues, or being able to receive the Holy Spirit, the question is whether in a mixed community they should be preaching, whether they should be taking a position of leadership amongst men.

As such, perhaps you can address some of the following scriptures :

http://www.rapidnet.com/~jbeard/bdm/Psychology/eccl/women.htm

I've simply copied and pasted as the author of the site did a fair job of adding comments.

Isa 3:12 — As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths.

1 Tim 2:8-11 — I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting. In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works. Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. [Men are to lead; women are to be modest, learning quietly, and in submission; in this way, they prove their claim to godliness.]

1 Tim 3:14,15; 2:11-15 — These things write I unto thee, hoping to come unto thee shortly: But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth. [What follows are God’s instructions for a woman’s functioning in the formal services of the local church, which would include Sunday School] ... Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I [Paul, as an Apostle of Jesus Christ, with full authority of one inspired by God] suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. [A woman cannot teach with authority; e.g., in Sunday School classes, Bible conferences, etc. When a woman stands before a mixed crowd that includes men and opens the Bible and preaches or teaches, she is taking authority.] For Adam was first formed, then Eve. [The woman was created after the man to be his helpmeet, not his head. Obviously, this is NOT a cultural matter, but is based upon the order of creation; this establishment of the principle of order transcends culture!] And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived [“quite deceived” (NASB—Gen. 3:13)] was in the transgression. [Therefore, the woman was not spiritually qualified to teach because of (1) the order of creation, and (2) the facts of the Fall.] Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, [i.e., she will be occupying herself with the duties of the home and family (as evidence of her salvation given through the birth of the Messiah), and will receive her fulfillment/purpose in life in that arena] if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety [“self-restraint” (NASB)].

1 Tim 5:9,10,14 — Let not a widow be taken into the number under threescore years old, having been the wife of one man, Well reported of for good works; if she have brought up children, if she have lodged strangers, if she have washed the saints’ feet, if she have relieved the afflicted, if she have diligently followed every good work. [Faithful service in “home-related” activities necessary to qualify widows to receive church support.] … I will therefore that the younger women marry, bear children, guide the house, [be the “ruler” or “despot” of the home, but under the leadership of her husband] give none occasion to the adversary to speak reproachfully.

Titus 2:3-5 —The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; [See further: women teaching “home-related” activities to younger women, not Biblical doctrine.] That they may teach [“encourage” NASB] the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children [agape love, since a person can not be “taught” to have “feelings”], To be discreet, chaste, keepers [“workers” NASB] at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, [this alone would preclude a married woman from working outside the home, because outside work necessitates her to be under someone else’s authority, man or woman, other than her own husband] that the word of God be not blasphemed.

Prov 6:20; 2 Tim 1:5; 3:15 — My son, keep thy father’s commandment, and forsake not the law of thy mother: … When I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice; and I am persuaded that in thee also. … And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. [The person teaching becomes the authority; since the parent is already the authority, as God intended it to be from creation, there is no problem in women teaching doctrine to their own children.]

1 Cor 14:33b-35,37 — As in all churches of the saints. Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. [Not a cultural factor, but established by God thousands of years ago.] And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame [“improper” (NASB)] for women to speak in the church. [Women are to look for input and leadership from the man.] … If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.

Eph 5:18, 22-24 — And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; ... Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. [Can’t submit to husband if don’t submit to Christ.] For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.

1 Pet 3:1-6 — Likewise, ye wives, [same as in submissiveness to government authorities (1 Pe 2:13-17)] be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives; [God is saying that even for an unbeliever, submissiveness to God-supported authority is a hard and fast rule, not situational, circumstantial, or cultural.] ... Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price. For after this manner in the old time [i.e., not “cultural”] the holy women also, who trusted in God, adorned themselves, [Outward adornment should not be the focal point of a woman’s life—rather her life is to emphasize godliness.] being in subjection unto their own husbands: Even as Sara obeyed Abraham, calling him lord (Gen. 18:12) [2000 years earlier; therefore, not cultural]: whose daughters ye are, as long as ye do well, and are not afraid with any amazement.

1 Cor 11:3-10 — But I would have you know, that the head [i.e., authority (Jdg. 11:10; Eph. 1:22)] of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God. [Therefore, no inferiority is implied in submissiveness, only different God-ordained roles.] Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head. But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth [direct revelation (which is no longer an active gift for anyone, men or women), not normal preaching/teaching (prophesying and teaching were two distinct gifts—Eph. 4:11)] with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head [an abnormal situation for woman to pray or prophesy in public, and therefore, she must have a visible sign of authority over her]: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered. For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man. For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man. Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man. For this cause [the created order] ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels. [Paul again refers back to the order of creation, and that the angels are watching (Eph, 3:10), for his authority, not because of the curse of the Fall as some so-called “Biblical feminists” contend.] [Paul is speaking here of conduct in meetings outside the church; he doesn’t speak to church conduct until verse 18; 1 Cor. 6:12-11:17 deals with personal conduct outside of corporate church meetings.]

Prov 12:4; 14:1 — A virtuous woman is a crown to her husband: but she that maketh ashamed is as rottenness in his bones. ... Every wise woman buildeth her house: but the foolish plucketh it down with her hands.

Prov 31:10-31 — Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies. The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil. She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life. She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands. She is like the merchants’ ships; she bringeth her food from afar. She riseth also while it is yet night, and giveth meat to her household, and a portion to her maidens. She considereth a field, and buyeth it [in order to plant and grow food for h
  10. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    22 Feb '05 21:59
    Originally posted by pcaspian
    [b]This thread gave me a chance to do a liitle homework. I found a couple of Pauline passages that could relate to this issue. The most famous is from Ephesians about wives being submissive to their husbands, but I think the more specific scripture passage is from 1 Timothy 2:11ff. where women are not to have author ...[text shortened]... reason, and because of the angels, the woman ought to have a sign of authority on her head. [/i]
    Well I would have rattled off more, but I was afraid of sounding like Nemesio, and I know how much that sets you off. It is not necessary to be completely thorough in order to be right which I usually am.

To your other point, if a woman having a period is something that God cannot handle or stands in the way of equality before God, then I'm lookin fo another religion. May start my own damn religion.
  11. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    22 Feb '05 22:05

Prophesying is defined in I Cor 11:3-4 "He that prophesieth speaketh unto (Anthropois) mankind to edification and exhortation, and comfort...he that prophesieth edifieth the church." By definition prophesying was preaching. "Nothi ...[text shortened]... acher of the two (Rom 16:3; 2 Tim 4:19, Acts 18:18, 26).

Nyxie
    Nyxie, I once heard a young Bible student take on a crusty theologican about the role of women. This student confronted him and said, "yea, but (there it is again) what did Paul say about it." To which this professor said, "Yea, so what. What did Jesus DO with women?"
  12. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    22 Feb '05 22:11
    Well I would have rattled off more, but I was afraid of sounding like Nemesio, and I know how much that sets you off. It is not necessary to be completely thorough in order to be right which I usually am.

To your other point, if a woman having a period is something that God cannot handle or stands in the way of equality before God, then I'm lookin fo another religion. May start my own damn religion.
    Kirk,

On the first point: Yeah, if you try to give a few select examples, and let others "connect the dots," then you're accused of being--well, selective. If you "load it up," then you're apt to be accused of showing off, or obfuscating. If you cite references, someone says "Don't you have any thoughts of your own?" If you just offer your own thoughts, there'll be a demand for references to back them up. Hard to know where to cut the cake.

On the second point: Lay out some doctrine, man, maybe I'll convert! 🙄
  13. Graceland.
    Moves
    22 Feb '05 22:12

What gives you the impression the duration of Nemesio's posts 'sets me off ' ? I assume, being an ordained preacher, you would be rather well versed in scriptures and as I am actually interested in what the scriptures have to say about the matter (as some claim the are contradictory), you would have valuable input. I recall reading somewhere that in Christ we are equal, I just assumed you would know which passage that was referring to.

I am surprised at your attitude. Do we not drink that which is Jesus's blood and eat that which is His body ? Perhaps you don't read the OT, perhaps you don't need to read the Bible even. I think becoming a leader of your own sect is going a bit far, but heck all the best. Can you take Nemesio with you ? 😉
  14. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    22 Feb '05 22:13
    It has become quickly obvious to me that there are people here who do not wish to learn. The hardest person to teach is a fanatic. What we have here are contradicting bible quotes.

Paul says this Jesus said that. I will take Jesus first. As a child I read the red letter edition and they asked me why. I told them the whole book was about Jesus, so to me his words were of more importance then any others contained in it.

If I am wrong here it's obvious that I need a new religion too. I will not hold close or praise a religion that claims half the world's population as subserviant to the other.

If you want my oppinion.

Eve was cursed to childbirth. She was also cursed to serve her husband and to want him. The jewish faith still holds this true. I do think that the old testament curses placed upon men and women could be washed away in the blood of Christ. Jesus had female disciples, who are we to state he was wrong? Jesus told the women to go forth, who are we to state he was wrong? Women preached and prophesized and led churches in the early days of Christianity. Women were instrumental in the building of the early Christian church.

Well that's my oppinion. If you want we can take the long posts and break them down because I have a short attention span, let us break them down one by one if you wish, and we can continue this debate without burying each other in our posts.

Nyxie

15. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    22 Feb '05 22:22
    Originally posted by pcaspian
    [b]Well I would have rattled off more, but I was afraid of sounding like Nemesio, and I know how much that sets you off. It is not necessary to be completely thorough in order to be right which I usually am.

What gives you the impression the duration of Nemesio's posts 'sets me off ' ? I assume, being an o ...[text shortened]... of your own sect is going a bit far, but heck all the best. Can you take Nemesio with you ? 😉 [/b]
    That was somewhat of a joke about Nemesio that had more to do with him than you. Don't worry about it. Look, there are some things in the Bible that just defy common damn sense. You don't have to accept everything that the Bible says. We know today more than they knew back then. We are indebted to science. It doesn't mean I dismiss everything in the Bible, but it's OK to use common sense. I hope one day the Muslims of the worlds will wake up and find a lot of this extremist views about women just defy common sense as well.

Why are you suprised at my attitude? Am I not tha leader of the Brothaz Wit Attitude clan?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree