With White Women
    Moves
    21 Feb '05 19:37
  2. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    21 Feb '05 19:40
    We tend to dwell on several themes when it comes to religion on the debate forums. One issue that I do not believe we have discussed is whether or not it is appropiate to have female clergy. For some of you this may seem like a strange issue in a time of equal rights and female empowerment, but for many it is a big issue. I have started this thread with the encouragement of Nyxie who always has provocative ideas.
  3. Not Kansas
    Moves
    21 Feb '05 19:44
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    We tend to dwell on several themes when it comes to religion on the debate forums. One issue that I do not believe we have discussed is whether or not it is appropiate to have female clergy. For some of you this may seem like a strange issue in a time of equal rights and female empowerment, but for many it is a big issue. I have started this thread with the encouragement of Nyxie who always has provocative ideas.
    It's fine by me. What difference can some hormones make in this case? I still wouldn't go to church though ...
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    21 Feb '05 19:49
    Originally posted by KneverKnight
    It's fine by me. What difference can some hormones make in this case? I still wouldn't go to church though ...
    What if they had topless female clergy?
  5. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    21 Feb '05 19:511 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    And instead of a pulpit, what if they had a pole?
  6. Not Kansas
    Moves
    21 Feb '05 19:52
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Bring it on. Say, didn't the Greeks have that years ago?
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    Originally posted by darvlay
    And instead of a pulpit, what if they had a pole?
    Hallelujah, brother, I think I see the light.
  8. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Moves
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Well, I think the viability of female clergy depends upon your brand of theological premise. If you are a literalist, or atleast a general literalist, then generally female clergy is right out of the question.

If you are less literal, but believe in the scriptures, then it is permissable, though highly argueable.

If you are a scripture believing person, but also belive the nicene convention warped and distorted the word to a masculine preference, further composited through the ages, most notably by catholicism up through atleast the 1600's, then you definitely might think female clergy is perfectly acceptable.

Further, if you believe that in the pre-nicene era there was a matriarchal emphasis that was surplanted into a patriarchal emphasis, then you would in fact probably have a female preference in clergy, if not insisting upon it.

Then at last we have the non-believer who has absolutely no theological reason to deny the permissability of female equal ability to be a clergy member. Of course, this does not bar any unfounded theological basis, nor any pretenses that exist completely outside of theology.

Anyhow that's the determining factor(s), in my humble opinion, as best I can. Naturally, my statement is intended with regards to Christianity. While I confess this is greatly due to it being the religion in which I am most knowledgable, I also think it relevant in the sense that many/most/all other religions are fairly clear in this respect.

Best Regards,
    Omnislash
  9. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    21 Feb '05 19:53
    But seriously, I believe many sects of Christianity already ordain women. Obviously, the Roman Catholic religion will never be as progressive, but that's no surprise.

I think it would be very interesting to hear why a woman should not be ordained as opposed to why they should.
  10. Not Kansas
    Moves
    21 Feb '05 19:53
    Sorry Kirk, we bad, let us not hijack this thread, lest our own threads are hijacked and we stand er threadless
  11. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    21 Feb '05 19:55
    Originally posted by Omnislash
    Well, I think the viability of female clergy depends upon your brand of theological premise. If you are a literalist, or atleast a general literalist, then generally female clergy is right out of the question.

If you are less literal, but believe in the scriptures, then it is permissable, though highly argueable.

If you are a scripture believing per ...[text shortened]... eligions are fairly clear in this respect.

Best Regards,
    Omnislash
    Since you are in the know, could you explain to me why the scripture forbids female ordainment?
  12. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    21 Feb '05 19:57
    We're all commanded to spread the word. Male, female, cat, dog. If someone is saved because of a woman's preaching, they'll rejoice as loudly in heaven as if it were by a man.
  13. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    21 Feb '05 20:031 edit
    Originally posted by Darfius
    We're all commanded to spread the word. Male, female, cat, dog. If someone is saved because of a woman's preaching, they'll rejoice as loudly in heaven as if it were by a man.
    You actually make a good point (with the exception of your household pets preaching the gospel). The Bible commands all to spread the word, so why are Men the only ones permitted to be ordained? Would you know the contents of the scripture that Omni was talking about?
  14. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Moves
    21 Feb '05 20:04
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Since you are in the know, could you explain to me why the scripture forbids female ordainment?
    To be honest, I am not properly qualified to make the arguement that females should not be clergy. Quite frankly, I would not want to.

However, I would suggest as just a little food for thought the premise of what a mans role is vs. a womans role. Just basics, such as that the woman is the helper, the man the leader. These being the natural roles of the sexes as God created them, such should it be in Gods house, etc.

I think the arguement might be different depending upon who you talk to. Someone might argue that it is due to woman (Eve) being the cause for mans fall into sin. Another might go to depthful and complex lengths to give example of the numerous occasion in scripture where it states that the man is the spiritual leader of his house, etc.

This is my understanding atleast, for what it's worth. 🙂
  15. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Moves
    21 Feb '05 20:06
    Originally posted by Darfius
    The general assertion, as I understand it, is not that women should not preach, but rather that they should not be preachers in the literal sense ("spiritual leaders in Gods house ((i.e.church)) administering the sacraments, etc.&quot😉.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree