Anyone know for sure how old the earth is?

Anyone know for sure how old the earth is?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Major Bone

On yer tail ...

Moves
11 May 07

Originally posted by Phuzudaka
Arriving at a "date" depends upon a chain of assumptions, each link in the chain being an assumption. The validity of the calculated date can be no stronger than the weakest link (weakest assumption) used in the calculation. What are some of the assumptions made by most Evolutionists in using these systems?

ASSUMPTION: It is generally assumed that the m ...[text shortened]... must be carefully tested to determine what outside factors might have changed their content.
This is all complete garbage. Read the link posted earlier, DJ.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
11 May 07

Originally posted by KellyJay
You know what occured billions of years ago?
You know how old the earth is, or is it a matter of faith?
You believe in the death penalty, KellyJay.

Now, if you were on jury duty in a murder trial, how would you know what occurred 2 months ago? How would you know that the accused was at the scene of the crime? Fingerprints? DNA? Would the police or people tell you that the accused was there?

D

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
15 May 07

Originally posted by Ragnorak
You believe in the death penalty, KellyJay.

Now, if you were on jury duty in a murder trial, how would you know what occurred 2 months ago? How would you know that the accused was at the scene of the crime? Fingerprints? DNA? Would the police or people tell you that the accused was there?

D
Bump for KellyJay.

D

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
15 May 07

Originally posted by Ragnorak
Bump for KellyJay.

D
Another one for Phuzadaka, he never answered XanthosNZ's question about radioactive dating, off by orders of magnitude or just a few percent?

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
16 May 07

Originally posted by josephw
If you're not sure then why guess?
What level of accuracy is required for you? A billion years? A million? 10 years? 5 seconds? 2 microseconds? Scientists always say the mean of all measurements is xyz plus or minus a range of certainty, normally 1 standard error, standard deviation or 95% confidence limits. This is because both the universe is a stochastic place, and measurements always have some variability to them. Thus, all we can do is calculate the distribution of measurements made, and assume that to be a fair and valid representation of the whole system. If one has sampled randomly, it should be. However, the christian literature is full of examples where people have sampled non-randomly, or applied inappropriate methodology in order try and undermine traditional science. However, what can you say to undermine a group who gave the world the methodology behind communications satellites and CAT scanners?

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
16 May 07

Do you want to tell me that no assumptions are made for any of the dating methods?
Yes, assumptions are made. Of course.

However, those assumptions have been rigorously tested.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
16 May 07

Originally posted by josephw
I've repeatedly said that the age of the earth is probably older than we can imagine, but I also know that God could have snapped his fingers and created it old in a mere moment of time.
Ever heard the saying, "if it looks like a dog, and sounds like a dog, it's probably a dog"?

Why do you require the possibility that God is a liar?

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
16 May 07

Originally posted by KellyJay
When someone says 'science tells them' do you think they are
refering to other worldy voices? Personally, I believe they are not
refering to science as a being, yet it comes off that way, they accept
the views of some people over others, and that to them is the same
as saying science tells them something, when in fact, it is simply
some person or a com ...[text shortened]... of the earth, you have beliefs on that topic,
or do you call what you have, 'facts'?
Kelly
Never heard of scientific consensus then?

You believe a magic man talks to you, which is obviously waaaaaaay more likely.....

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
16 May 07

Do facts change? No.

But Scientific knowledge is continually changing. So you cannot claim that current Scientific knowledge is a fact.
The values of the amounts of radioisotope I measure in a rock today will not change tomorrow. That is a fact. The amounts in the rock might, but the values will not.

Science progresses, usually by step by step progression, not by the wholesale re-organisation of everything that you suggest. That's Creationist propaganda only.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
16 May 07
1 edit

Originally posted by scottishinnz
What level of accuracy is required for you? A billion years? A million? 10 years? 5 seconds? 2 microseconds? Scientists always say the mean of all measurements is xyz plus or minus a range of certainty, normally 1 standard error, standard deviation or 95% confidence limits. This is because both the universe is a stochastic place, and measurements ...[text shortened]... ne a group who gave the world the methodology behind communications satellites and CAT scanners?
Clearly any answer that does not say the world was 6000 years old is going to be wrong. Even if it's one of the most stupid arguments on the planet, which it is. Anyone looking at places like the Grand Canyon and then going, WOW, isn't it amazing all of this happened in 6000 years? is clearly demented. But they demand it such because of a fairy tale not even originating with christianity. They even think it's their OWN fairy tale.

b
Buzzardus Maximus

Moves
16 May 07

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
Actually you can verify the scientific method by using the scientific method.
Not in Creation Research Society Quarterly, you can't.

P

Moves
16 May 07

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
Do any of them state that radioactive dating could be multiple orders of magnitude out or do they refer to percentages?
Multiple orders of magnitude...

Do yourself a favour and read this article if you dare:

http://www.trueorigin.org/dating.asp#different%20methods

P

Moves
16 May 07

Originally posted by buffalobill
This is all complete garbage. Read the link posted earlier, DJ.
What is garbage? Radiometric dating?

P

Moves
16 May 07

Originally posted by scottishinnz
Yes, assumptions are made. Of course.

However, those assumptions have been rigorously tested.
Radiometric dating is predicated on the assumption that throughout the earth’s history radioactive decay rates of the various elements have remained constant. Is this a warranted assumption? Has every radioactive nuclide proceeded on a rigid course of decay at a constant rate? This has been challenged by studies involving Carbon (C)-14.

Lord

Sewers of Holland

Moves
16 May 07

Well... the earth is older than me. I mean it was around before I was born.
And I know that there's a high chance of the earth being around after I die.

So, for all intensive purposes the earth is older than me and will probably outlast my children.

So it's old. It's ancient.

Why?