1. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    12 Apr '07 23:21
    Originally posted by SALADIN
    ok... a debate has sort of started in the Debates forum stating that Catholics are NOT Christians?

i am really finding this hard to get my head round... can anyone here help me understand?
    The question should be are Catholics saved all of them. Because the Bible says that if you are a Christian you are saved. And yet they still try to work their way to heaven when you don't have to.
  2. Standard memberreader1107
    petting the cat
    On Clique Beach
    Moves
    12 Apr '07 23:48
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    The question should be are Catholics saved all of them. Because the Bible says that if you are a Christian you are saved. And yet they still try to work their way to heaven when you don't have to.
    Faith without works is dead.

The only Catholics I ever met who were actually trying to work their way into heaven were nuns (not all nuns, just a couple of them). But if you are "saved" and yet do no good works, then are you really being a good Christian? It's not about trying to get into heaven. It's about trying to make the world here a better place.
  3. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    12 Apr '07 23:59
    Originally posted by reader1107

The only Catholics I ever met who were actually trying to work their way into heaven were nuns (not all nuns, just a couple of them). But if you are "saved" and yet do no good works, then are you really being a good Christian? It's not about trying to get into heaven. It's about trying to make the world here a better place.
    What is Christian?
  4. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    12 Apr '07 23:59
    Originally posted by reader1107

Works come after you accept Christ.
  5. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    13 Apr '07 00:04
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Works come after you accept Christ.
    Nope, not true.
  6. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    13 Apr '07 15:111 edit
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Just to broaden this a bit—since not everyone who rejects the notion of sola scriptura, or biblical literalism/inerrancy is Roman Catholic 🙂—one needs to look at the tradition, particularly the patristic period. However, when one does look there, one finds, I think, what Jaroslav Pelikan called a somewhat “pluralistic tradition.”

When people clai ...[text shortened]... fact, say what one thought it did, no matter how invested with the Spirit one thought s/he was.
    Thanks for pointing out even more reasons why we need the Magisterium of the Church, although this might not be your original intention ..... 😉
  7. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    13 Apr '07 15:151 edit
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Nope, not true.
    What do you mean, Kirk ? They (good works) don't come at all after you accepted Christ ? ..... 😛
  8. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    13 Apr '07 15:43
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    Thanks for pointing out even more reasons why we need the Magisterium of the Church, although this might not be your original intention ..... 😉
    Well, no it wasn’t... 😉

I still have a bit of the “protestant principle” in me. But I think sola scriptura is/was an error, at least as it developed with/after the reformation. I think it is a bit blind to ignore how the church and tradition have read the scriptures, and from them—as well as early oral tradition—arrived at doctrinal articulations. (in my case, especially in the East; although, despite the fact that Augustine was not followed so closely in the East, there was in the patristic era only one church).
  9. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    13 Apr '07 15:461 edit
    EDIT: wrong thread...😳
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    14 Apr '07 05:58
    Originally posted by SALADIN
    ok... a debate has sort of started in the Debates forum stating that Catholics are NOT Christians?

i am really finding this hard to get my head round... can anyone here help me understand?
    Are you familiar with the logical fallacy called "No True Scotsman"?

Imagine Hamish McDonald, a Scotsman, sitting down with his Press and Journal and seeing an article about how the "Brighton Sex Maniac Strikes Again." Hamish is shocked and declares that "No Scotsman would do such a thing." The next day he sits down to read his Press and Journal again and this time finds an article about an Aberdeen man whose brutal actions make the Brighton sex maniac seem almost gentlemanly. This fact shows that Hamish was wrong in his opinion but is he going to admit this? Not likely. This time he says, "No true Scotsman would do such a thing."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

It seems like this is sort of the same thing. Some Protestants say "No True Christian would have images of Jesus in the church" and the like. Therefore, they decide Catholics aren't "True Christians". However from the perspective of an outside observer, of course they are.

It's like if a Shi'ite were to say that a Sunni wasn't Muslim because he's Sunni and not Shi'ite...I think.
  11. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    14 Apr '07 17:261 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Are you familiar with the logical fallacy called "No True Scotsman"?

[i]Imagine Hamish McDonald, a Scotsman, sitting down with his Press and Journal and seeing an article about how the "Brighton Sex Maniac Strikes Again." Hamish is shocked and declares that "No Scotsman would do such a thing." The next day he sits down to read his Press and Journa o say that a Sunni wasn't Muslim because he's Sunni and not Shi'ite...I think.
    [/i]Rec'd. I'm going to steal this to start a thread...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree