Are catholics christians???

Are catholics christians???

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
08 Nov 06
2 edits

Originally posted by lucifershammer
I didn't misunderstand you the first time.

What you're saying is still a universal negative.
I see your point now. I didn't mean that there cannot be any evidence, just that there is no evidence that I know of.

Reformulating (to better express what I wanted to say):

There is no logical evidence, that I know of, to support the belief that God exists.

Edit - If I didn't mean that, I would be affirming that God doesn't exist or that He was unknowable.

l

London

Moves
08 Nov 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Palynka
I see your point now. I didn't mean that there cannot be any evidence, just that there is no evidence that I know of.

Reformulating (to better express what I wanted to say):

There is no logical evidence, that I know of, to support the belief that God exists.
Much better.

🙂

EDIT: No you wouldn't. Even if you extended the notion of (logical?) evidence to include post-death confirmation, there could still be a Neo-Platonic type God out there that we can and never will know about.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
08 Nov 06

"I have seen no proof to date of God's instantiation in reality". (Trying to talk the talk like the big-time eggheads).

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
08 Nov 06

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
"I have seen no proof to date of God's instantiation in reality". (Trying to talk the talk like the big-time eggheads).
Ah! I learned in these forums the difference between proof and evidence. Be careful, or the eggheads will shake their oval protuberances.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
08 Nov 06

EDIT: No you wouldn't. Even if you extended the notion of (logical?) evidence to include post-death confirmation, there could still be a Neo-Platonic type God out there that we can and never will know about.
I don't know if you posted this before my second edit. Wouldn't it fall under the category of unknowable (without faith)?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
08 Nov 06

Ah! I learned in these forums the difference between proof and evidence. Be careful, or the eggheads will shake their oval protuberances.
😞

I'll go away and try to make sense of royalchicken's thread now.

l

London

Moves
08 Nov 06

I don't know if you posted this before my second edit. Wouldn't it fall under the category of unknowable (without faith)?
I didn't see the second edit -- but yes, I think it would be an unknowable God.

(Come to think of it -- I think Aristotle had a similar notion of his First Mover)

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
08 Nov 06

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
😞

I'll go away and try to make sense of royalchicken's thread now.
There you can find the difference between scatological and eschatological...

D

Moves
08 Nov 06

Proof of God, now that's a question for the ages. Always thought believing in God is believing in love. The question is now is there a God, but would you be willing to accept it. Under what circumstances? ;-)

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
08 Nov 06

Originally posted by DoctorDara
Proof of God, now that's a question for the ages. Always thought believing in God is believing in love. The question is now is there a God, but would you be willing to accept it. Under what circumstances? ;-)
What do you mean accept it? Acknowledge his existence, do his bidding, believe his way is the best way?

l

not of this world

Moves
08 Nov 06

From a logical viewpoint, the only possible thing that can be said about God is that there's no evidence for believing that he exists.
From a logical viewpoint, the only possible thing that can be said about God is that there's no evidence for believing that he exists.

You mean you can affirm that he doesn't exist?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
08 Nov 06

Originally posted by louisXIV
[b]From a logical viewpoint, the only possible thing that can be said about God is that there's no evidence for believing that he exists.

You mean you can affirm that he doesn't exist?[/b]
No, please read the rest of the posts.

s

Et in Arcadia ego...

Moves
09 Nov 06
2 edits

I know the sort you're talking about.

I call them 'Anything but Christ'ians.
Yes. Nice chaps on the whole, these two, but very, very tedious on this subject.

I always think, 'if you want to be a big atheist, get on with it, just don't bore the rest of the planet to death while you're at it'. Especially if you consider these are fellows with whom I often go for pints at home. T-shirts and Mex-mas. Get over yourselves. Noone cares, you rebels, you!

ABC-ians, I like that. 😉

Nice one, LH.

Good man, LH.

Bla bla bla

Moves
11 Apr 07

Originally posted by SALADIN
ok... a debate has sort of started in the Debates forum stating that Catholics are NOT Christians?

i am really finding this hard to get my head round... can anyone here help me understand?
their reputation as a whole, is anything but....(pedophilia, praying for God in war) whats that all about? Jesus didn't believe in raping children

r
petting the cat

On Clique Beach

Moves
11 Apr 07

Originally posted by bot 6
their reputation as a whole, is anything but....(pedophilia, praying for God in war) whats that all about? Jesus didn't believe in raping children
SOME priests, SOME clergy of other religions, SOME laypersons of many/most/all religions, SOME atheists, and SOME parents are pedophiles. There is no known way to categorize people by belief, occupation, race, or nationality that will create a group that doesn't include pedophiles. Pedophile stings are now widely publicised. Many or most of the men involved are related to the children they victimize by blood or marriage. So I'm guessing that you believe fathers and stepfathers and uncles aren't Christians? The individuals who are pedophiles are scum. But if you wish to taint an entire category, then why not go by the category of gender and include yourself? Or is it unfair to curse an entire category for the sins of some of its members?