1. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    18 Dec '08 15:524 edits
    The view that denominations are started over different interpretations of the Bible is overplayed. Some denominational differences only have intepretation of Scripture as a facade.

The real problem is ambition for position of leadership. Someone somewhere doesn't want to follow someone else somewhere.

Tiffs over doctrines is often an overplayed facade for the real issue. Its jealousy over leadership which causes splits many times.
  2. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    18 Dec '08 16:51
    Originally posted by buckky
    Are the Catholics serious about their belief that all that are not Catholic burn ?
    You're presenting a strawman. There is no such Roman-Catholic teaching.
  3. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    18 Dec '08 16:54
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    From the Catholic Catechism (http://www.kofc.org/publications/cis/catechism/search.cfm):

1034 Jesus often speaks of "Gehenna" of [b]"the unquenchable fire" reserved for those who to the end of their lives refuse to believe and be converted, where both soul and body can be lost. 614 Jesus solemnly proclaims that he "will send his angels, ...[text shortened]... sess the life and happiness for which he was created and for which he longs.
    [/b]
    Thank God it is not you who formulates Roman-Catholic teachings.
  4. weedhopper
    Moves
    18 Dec '08 19:15
    The current Catholic Catechism says that Jesus shall cast non-believers into a lake of fire.

Do you deny this?
    Vatican 2 and following no longer asigns Protestants to the list of :non-believers".

Thus endeth the debate.
  5. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    18 Dec '08 19:27
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    Vatican 2 and following no longer asigns Protestants to the list of :non-believers".

Thus endeth the debate.
    What about Jews?
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Dec '08 20:40
    The current Catholic Catechism says that Jesus shall cast non-believers into a lake of fire.

Do you deny this?
    No. But I question the relevance of your quotes into the catechism. The thread topic did not mention 'non-believers'; it was about non-Catholics. I hope you can appreciate the difference. The Catholic Church has never taught that all non-Catholics go to hell. I also expect you misunderstand the meaning of 'non-believer'.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Dec '08 20:481 edit
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd

Thus endeth the debate.
    This is sort of correct. One of the major publications of Vatican II, Lumen Gentium (Light of the Nations), introduced the distinction between invisible and visible membership in the Catholic Church. A Protestant is not visibly part of the Church but because of baptism, zeal, and moral life, may be an invisible member of the Church and thus may be saved. Lumen Gentium also explicitly mentions the possibility of salvation for Jews and Muslims for similar reasons.
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    18 Dec '08 21:41
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    This is sort of correct. One of the major publications of Vatican II, Lumen Gentium (Light of the Nations), introduced the distinction between invisible and visible membership in the Catholic Church. A Protestant is not visibly part of the Church but because of baptism, zeal, and moral life, may be an invisible member of the Church and thus may be sa ...[text shortened]... also explicitly mentions the possibility of salvation for Jews and Muslims for similar reasons.
    What about atheists? :'(
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Dec '08 21:54
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Nor does Divine Providence deny the helps necessary for salvation to those who, without blame on their part, have not yet arrived at an explicit knowledge of God and with His grace strive to live a good life. Whatever good or truth is found amongst them is looked upon by the Church as a preparation for the Gospel.(20*) She knows that it is given by Him who enlightens all men so that they may finally have life.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_const_19641121_lumen-gentium_en.html
  10. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    19 Dec '08 00:09
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    You're presenting a strawman. There is no such Roman-Catholic teaching.
    Could you explain more about what you mean? If you don't consider the Catechism of the Catholic Church and various doctrines and documents throughout history as Roman Catholic teachings, what do you consider them to be? How do you define "teachings" then?
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Dec '08 00:211 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    What about them my friend? If they are convinced they only have three score and ten, I would suggest persuing a more worthwhile preoccupation than concens over life after death.

Edit: tongue firmly in cheek of course!
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    19 Dec '08 00:21
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    Could you explain more about what you mean? If you don't consider the Catechism of the Catholic Church and various doctrines and documents throughout history as Roman Catholic teachings, what do you consider them to be? How do you define "teachings" then?
    The RCC Catechism does not anywhere support the belief that all non-Catholics go to hell. The Catholic Church has always taught that those outside the visible confines of the Church, whether pagans, Jews, Protestants, atheists or heretics, can still obtain salvation. Buckky's comment really is a strawman. See Lumen Gentium.
  13. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    19 Dec '08 00:471 edit
    The RCC Catechism does not anywhere support the belief that all non-Catholics go to hell. The Catholic Church has always taught that those outside the visible confines of the Church, whether pagans, Jews, Protestants, atheists or heretics, can still obtain salvation. Buckky's comment really is a strawman. See Lumen Gentium.
    I misread his post. I thought he said that there was no such thing as Roman Catholic teaching. I apologize.

(edit: Of course I know that what was presented isn't RC teaching. I've taken much more than my share of theology courses. But thanks for giving me the chance to correct my foolish reading error.)
  14. Joined
    24 Feb '07
    Moves
    19 Dec '08 02:06
    Catholic doctrine never said that.
    Ok good, glad to hear it. I stand corrected.
  15. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    19 Dec '08 02:52
    How do they obtain salvation ? Is the Catholic the churuch the one true church, and all others are just messing around playing church ? That's the way I understood it growing up.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree