1. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    10 Feb '14 15:00
    Am I the only one or are the debates between the JWs and the more "mainline" denominations becoming boring?

The position of JWs on the trinity, blood and eschatology (just to name three) are well known, - as are some of the counter arguments. And if the past so many years are any indication, nobody is convincing anybody!

This "discussion" seems to imply that these are the main debates within the greater Christian family. However, there are several other groups, (which, for the lack of a better word can be called non-orthodox) such as the Mormons.

Mormons have at least four things in common with JWs:

1. Generally very friendly and compassionate, Bible believing people
    2 Yet not recognized as a mainline, orthodox denomination.
    3. Highly motivated as being the Final Truth, with a very strong missionary sense (all members do at least 2 years missionary service)
    4. Highly exclusive, which means complete loyalty to members and complete separation from apostates.

If there are any Mormons on this site, how about relieving the boredom with some discussion of the doctrines of the Latter Day Saints?
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Feb '14 15:05
    Originally posted by CalJust
    Am I the only one or are the debates between the JWs and the more "mainline" denominations becoming boring?

The position of JWs on the trinity, blood and eschatology (just to name three) are well known, - as are some of the counter arguments. And if the past so many years are any indication, nobody is convincing anybody!

This "discussion" seems to impl ...[text shortened]... how about relieving the boredom with some discussion of the doctrines of the Latter Day Saints?
    I hate to break this to you, but you are the only Mormon that I know of.

Some see this as lonely, but then, the book "Last of the Mohicans" comes to mind. The only way to stand out is to be different, so embrace it!! 😵
  3. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    10 Feb '14 15:12
    Originally posted by whodey

Some see this as lonely, but then, the book "Last of the Mohicans" comes to mind. The only way to stand out is to be different, so embrace it!! 😵
    Is CalJust a Mormon?
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Feb '14 15:17
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Is CalJust a Mormon?
    Well, the title asks, "Are there any Mormons out there?" and then the first thing he says in the OP is "Am I the only one, or..."

In this forum full of literalists, if he's not, this combo is a sure formula for a major misunderstanding.
  5. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    10 Feb '14 15:392 edits
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Well, the title asks, "Are there any Mormons out there?" and then the first thing he says in the OP is "Am I the only one, or..."

In this forum full of literalists, if he's not, this combo is a sure formula for a major misunderstanding.
    Actually I don't think a literalist reading supports this.

The title says 'Are there any Mormons out there?', when it would have been more normal to say 'Are there any other Mormons out there?'.

I had read the sentence beginning 'Am I the only one....' as CalJust asking if he is the only one finding the debates between the JWs and other denominations boring.

I am sure CalJust will clarify.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Feb '14 15:42
    Actually I don't think a literalist reading supports this.

The title says 'Are there any Mormons out there?', when it would have been more normal to say 'Are there any other Mormons out there?'.

The sentence beginning 'Am I the only one....' would, I suggest, be more normally read to refer to the 'finding the conversations about JWs boring'.
    Of course you don't.
  7. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    10 Feb '14 15:54
    Of course you don't.
    Actually, the whole OP just looks odd if CalJust is a Mormon.

The suspense is killing me.

🙂
  8. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    10 Feb '14 16:02
    Originally posted by whodey

I hate to break this to you, but whatever gave you the idea that i was a mormon? I am nothing of the kind, just want a change in the discussion!
  9. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    10 Feb '14 16:05
    Actually, the whole OP just looks odd if CalJust is a Mormon.

The suspense is killing me.

🙂
    A full 54 minutes away from the keyboard, and the suspense is killing you?

You just made my day!

😏
  10. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    10 Feb '14 16:07
    Maybe the Mormons have more sense than trying to use RHP as a proselytizing platform...
  11. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    10 Feb '14 16:14
    Of course you don't.
    Told ya.

😉
  12. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    10 Feb '14 16:162 edits
    Maybe the Mormons have more sense than trying to use RHP as a proselytizing platform...
    Then again, they do use it as an advertising platform, along with people telling me I am too fat and need a face peel.

Then again, those last two are correct so maybe...
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    10 Feb '14 16:20
    A full 54 minutes away from the keyboard, and the suspense is killing you?

You just made my day!

😏
    I thought RO was just being iROnic.
  14. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    10 Feb '14 16:27
    Originally posted by JS357
    I thought RO was just being iROnic.
    Agreed, that is the more likely scenario.
    🙁

At present I am on holiday on the South Coast in Natal, RSA, with more time on my hands than normal. Unfortunately, no really interesting threads worth speaking of.

What about my friend twitehead from Cape Town, care to introduce an engaging topic?
  15. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    10 Feb '14 16:44
    Agreed, that is the more likely scenario.
    🙁

At present I am on holiday on the South Coast in Natal, RSA, with more time on my hands than normal. Unfortunately, no really interesting threads worth speaking of.

What about my friend twitehead from Cape Town, care to introduce an engaging topic?
    Would you be interested in a debate about whether, and if so why, belief in the absence of evidence is a good thing?

I am thinking about John 20:24-29, which I have never understood.

If so, I will start a thread.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree