1. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    06 Oct '07 12:34
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I have a BS in Chemical Biology from UC Berkeley. Don't tell me what I know or don't know you tool.

You, on the other hand, are in Physics, not Biology.
    I'm sorry, i was in a bad mood yesterday.
    If you have a BS in biology you understand the level of modification done here.
    It's only a matter of time until a fully artificial form of life is created, or do you think only god can do that?
  2. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    06 Oct '07 12:36
    Originally posted by jaywill
    That does not make sense.

You do not need God to live but you need God after you are dead? That does not make any sense to me.

Is your god of the dead? Is the realm of death the only realm in which your god is relevant and useful?
    When do you NEED a god to live? Look at the millions that thrive with no god.
    At the billions who do quite well without your god. If you personally need your god to live (which I doubt) that's different.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Oct '07 12:38
    Originally posted by serigado
    They have already, tell me your position now.
    You are the one making the claim. Tell us your position. When has matter been created?
  4. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    06 Oct '07 12:401 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    You are the one making the claim. Tell us your position. When has matter been created?
    E=mc²
    This one is famous.
    Particle (matter) - Anti-particle pairs are created from thin air.
  5. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    06 Oct '07 13:18
    When do you NEED a god to live? Look at the millions that thrive with no god.
    At the billions who do quite well without your god. If you personally need your god to live (which I doubt) that's different.
    ARE YOU KIDDING ???!!!!

I need God to live, to think, to feel, to remember, to talk, to discuss, to eat, to walk down the street.

I need God to say "Hi" to a stranger. I need God to work for a boss, to have someone work for me.

Hey, I need God. I really really need God.

I need Him to live. I need Him to look up at the stars. I need Him to love. I don't trust myself. I have left a path of destruction in the lives of some of the people I have sinned against. And that even though I consider myself not as bad as some other guy.

Oh, I need God very much.
  6. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    06 Oct '07 13:242 edits
    I not only need God to have happiness. I need Jesus Christ for life to be meaningful. I need God to have a sense of the purpose of human existence.

So THAT's the problem. Ya'll don't NEED God.

Well, now I understand this forum. I NEED GOD. I need God so much that I know that there must BE a God.

Besides, the Bible says that God has an eternal purpose. I certainly need the Triune God to participate in the purpose of God.

Needing God is not so bad - "The Lord is my Shepherd, I will lack nothing" (Psalm 23:1)

If He wasn't there meet the need, THEN I would resent God. But my need is met with His faithfulness to meet the need. So we have a harmonious relationship.

And I think God needs me too. He certainly wants me so He can fill me with Himself and saturate me with His Holy Spirit.

Needing God is cool.
  7. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    06 Oct '07 13:30
    I not only need God to have happiness. I need Jesus Christ for life to be meaningful. I need God to have a sense of the purpose of human existence.

So THAT's the problem. Ya'll don't NEED God.

Well, now I understand this forum. I NEED GOD. I need God so much that I know that there must BE a God.

Besides, the Bible says that God has an eternal pu ...[text shortened]... fill me with Himself and saturate me with His Holy Spirit.

Needing God is cool.
    So it's all about you, what you need. Do you think if you were educated elsewhere you would have that same need? If you were born in china or syberia would you be like this?
    But you made my point. God exists. In believer's imagination.
  8. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    06 Oct '07 13:39
    So it's all about you, what you need. Do you think if you were educated elsewhere you would have that same need? If you were born in china or syberia would you be like this?
    But you made my point. God exists. In believer's imagination.
    That is silly - an agnostic's daydream.

Talk with you latter. East - West - doesn't matter.

You're just proud and probably anti organized religion which you morph into being against God period.
  9. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    06 Oct '07 14:04
    That is silly - an agnostic's daydream.

Talk with you latter. East - West - doesn't matter.

You're just proud and probably anti organized religion which you morph into being against God period.
    I'm not against god. I just want to make my point we don't need him, even if he exists.
    Either way, if I'm to believe a god, it surely isn't the one organized religions try to sell.
    Yes, I'm against organized religions. Not against god. He's done nothing to me.
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    06 Oct '07 15:19
    They have already, tell me your position now.
    Really? What exactly do you mean? Are you referring to the appearance and disappearance of matter at the quantum level, or perhaps to changing energy to matter? Either of these could be said to be creating matter.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    06 Oct '07 15:206 edits
    I'm sorry, i was in a bad mood yesterday.
    If you have a BS in biology you understand the level of modification done here.
    It's only a matter of time until a fully artificial form of life is created, or do you think only god can do that?
    It's cool. I go off on people sometimes too.

There is no God, and you're right, it's only a matter of time. Let's not jump the gun though. It just makes scientists and atheists seem like we don't know what we're talking about.

So now we have artificial chromosomes that are almost as sophisticated as viruses. I say almost because they need to be manually placed inside the bacterium.

We know how phospholipid bilayers come into being spontaneously. We know that the polymerization of nucleic acid is spontaneous given enough NTP concentration. We know how the phospholipid bilayer (aka cell membrane) selectively absorbs small molecules while holding on to the big ones. This is the predecessor to "eating" or "absorbing through the roots" I imagine. We know how either nucleic acids or proteins can act as enzymes, and protein polymerization is spontaneous just like nucleic acid polymerization.

Miller-Urey and the like showed how one gets the NTPs and other small molecules needed for all this from what we believe to be the early Earth atmosphere or one like it.

We know a lot of bits and pieces, but we're not quite there yet.

I won't be satisfied until I see a recipe for making self replicating cells starting with a Miller-Urey type synthesis of the small molecules from "water (H2O), methane (CH4), ammonia (NH3) and hydrogen (H2)." (or something similar).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller-Urey_experiment
  12. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    06 Oct '07 15:38
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Really? What exactly do you mean? Are you referring to the appearance and disappearance of matter at the quantum level, or perhaps to changing energy to matter? Either of these could be said to be creating matter.
    Everything is in the scope of quantum mechanics. There are some reactions where you get particles from photons. Yes, it's changing energy to matter.
    Really it can't be said "something new is being created", it's just a reaction like a chemical reaction.
    "In the beginning, god created energy"
  13. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    06 Oct '07 17:09
    ====================I'm not against god. I just want to make my point we don't need him, even if he exists.
    Either way, if I'm to believe a god, it surely isn't the one organized religions try to sell.
    ================

Well, I'm for beauty so I have to be for Jesus Christ.
    I'm for all positive things so I have to be for Jesus Christ.

There is nothing that can compete with Jesus in value and worth.
    I have found nothing as precious as Christ.
    I have found nothing that can compare with God. He's incomparable.

So I because I desire the highest and the best I cannot turn my back on Christ. Its that simple.

Enjoy your life.
  14. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    06 Oct '07 17:31
    [b]====================I'm not against god. I just want to make my point we don't need him, even if he exists.
    ================

Well, I'm for beauty so I have to be for Je ...[text shortened]... t and the best I cannot turn my back on Christ. Its that simple.

Enjoy your life.[/b]
    I thought we were talking about God.

What Jesus got to do with it?
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Oct '07 21:39
    E=mc²
    This one is famous.
    Particle (matter) - Anti-particle pairs are created from thin air.
    Perhaps I need to be a bit more specific. Matter is simply energy in another form, however, what of creating energy? If I am not mistaken, one cannot create nor destroy energy.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree