1. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    06 Oct '07 21:47
    Originally posted by whodey
    Perhaps I need to be a bit more specific. Matter is simply energy in another form, however, what of creating energy? If I am not mistaken, one cannot create nor destroy energy.
    Yes, we can't create nothing from zero. But life is only a sum of atoms interacting.
    Forget about humans. You believe a bacteria is something more then a bunch of complex proteins and molecules interacting in a complex way? Do you think a god is needed to give life to a bacteria?
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Oct '07 22:00
    Originally posted by serigado
    Yes, we can't create nothing from zero. But life is only a sum of atoms interacting.
    Forget about humans. You believe a bacteria is something more then a bunch of complex proteins and molecules interacting in a complex way? Do you think a god is needed to give life to a bacteria?
    I am inclined to believe so since we cannot create such life apart from God.
  3. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    06 Oct '07 22:03
    I am inclined to believe so since we cannot create such life apart from God.
    The only reason we can't is logistic. It's just too complex. With time will be done.
    We already used parts from different dead bacteria to create a new living one.
    From dead to living! It's not completely artificial, but dead parts were used to create something that lives. Isn't that enough?
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Oct '07 22:061 edit
    The only reason we can't is logistic. It's just too complex. With time will be done.
    We already used parts from different dead bacteria to create a new living one.
    From dead to living! It's not completely artificial, but dead parts were used to create something that lives. Isn't that enough?
    This reminds me of a movie I watched not long ago which was Gene Wilders Frankenstien. Now all we need to do is find a dead body, climb to the top of a really tall tower, and wait for an electrical storm. IT COULD WORK!!!!!
  5. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    06 Oct '07 22:11
    This reminds me of a movie I watched not long ago which was Gene Wilders Frankenstien. Now all we need to do is find a dead body, climb to the top of a really tall tower, and wait for an electrical storm. IT COULD WORK!!!!!
    It worked already. For the small bacteria, she was very happy. She got fat, found a good husband and had some millions of kids.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Oct '07 22:15
    It worked already. For the small bacteria, she was very happy. She got fat, found a good husband and had some millions of kids.
    If you say so. 😉
  7. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    06 Oct '07 22:48
    If you say so. 😉
    Are you contesting the truth of his assertion? Or are you willing to revise your claim that God
    is necessary to create bacterial life?

Nemesio
  8. Illinois
    Moves
    07 Oct '07 00:01
    The inimitable life which God "breathed" into man is an eternal spirit. In all other respects the life of man is of the dust, no different than a bacteria's in its functioning.

The life of a bacteria carries on according to the Natural Law which God put into place at creation and behaves according to the fundamental and inescapable design of a living thing. I would say that the blueprint for living things coupled with Natural Law are the two components which man does not and cannot contribute to life. The interchange of elements used in creating "artificial" life is the only aspect by which artificial life may claim to be "artificial."
  9. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    07 Oct '07 02:43
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    The inimitable life which God "breathed" into man is an eternal spirit. In all other respects the life of man is of the dust, no different than a bacteria's in its functioning.

The life of a bacteria carries on according to the Natural Law which God put into place at creation and behaves according to the fundamental and inescapable design of a living ...[text shortened]... rtificial" life is the only aspect by which artificial life may claim to be "artificial."
    So, you think that humankind has the potential to create simple life from proteins and that
    this simple life can evolve to more complicated life, right?

Nemesio
  10. Illinois
    Moves
    07 Oct '07 03:13
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    So, you think that humankind has the potential to create simple life from proteins and that

Nemesio
    Perhaps "create" isn't the right word. I'd use, "reassemble."
  11. Illinois
    Moves
    07 Oct '07 03:32

Nemesio
    The synthetic chromosome is a replica of a naturally occurring bacteria, pared down to its bare essentials. No doubt scientists will be able to design living organisms that perform prescribed tasks, but not without the bare essentials needed to support life. Regardless, it's still pretty amazing.
  12. Illinois
    Moves
    07 Oct '07 03:35
    "And the Lord said, Behold, they are one people and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do, and now nothing they have imagined they can do will be impossible for them" (Genesis 11:6).
  13. Illinois
    Moves
    07 Oct '07 03:47
    I just had a thought: consider the similarities between the Tower of Babel and the NT reference to the human body as a "temple." In Genesis 11, God confounded the language of the earth because of man's pride, "let us build us a city and a tower whose top reaches into the sky, and let us make a name for ourselves... So the Lord scattered them abroad from that place upon the face of the whole earth, and they gave up building the city" (Genesis 11:4,8). Now, in our present age, man is making "a name for himself" by building new life forms. Potentially, in the future, man will even build a human body (if he hasn't done so already). If the biblical significance of the human body as a "temple" has any relevance to the Tower of Babel story (i.e., if the human body is the new Tower of Babel), then it would seem that we may be on the cusp of God's intervention.

Just a thought...
  14. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    07 Oct '07 04:15
    Originally posted by Retrovirus
    I thought we were talking about God.

What Jesus got to do with it?
    My God is the Man Jesus Christ.

And my Man is the God Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christ is the universal mingling of Divinity and Humanity.
    And I said nothing compares to Him. Nothing can compete with Him.

I have found nothing more precious or more of value than God in Christ as our Savior and our eternal life.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Oct '07 04:20
    Are you contesting the truth of his assertion? Or are you willing to revise your claim that God
    is necessary to create bacterial life?

Nemesio
    As ATY rightly pointed out earlier in this thread, they have merely modified life, not created it from scratch.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree