1. Illinois
    Moves
    06 Oct '07 01:51
    In what way is man's ability to create artificial life spiritually significant? By doing so has man circumvented God? Or is man merely copying the existing pattern?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2007/oct/06/genetics.climatechange
  2. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    06 Oct '07 02:07
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    In what way is man's ability to create artificial life spiritually significant? By doing so has man circumvented God? Or is man merely copying the existing pattern?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2007/oct/06/genetics.climatechange
    Of course it is significant. It's a good support God is not needed to create life. Makes religion once again incoherent and makes what science as achieved in accordance with itself.
    There can be a profound philosophical debate around this, but I don't have the patience to write.
    We don't need gods. Some of us are intelligent enough to get there. How about you all? Do you need your gods to live?
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    06 Oct '07 02:19
    It is then transplanted into a living bacterial cell and in the final stage of the process it is expected to take control of the cell and in effect become a new life form.

That's not creating life. That's modifying life.
  4. Standard memberepic0002
    Black Mark
    walking to and fro
    Moves
    06 Oct '07 02:19
    Originally posted by serigado
    Of course it is significant. It's a good support God is not needed to create life. Makes religion once again incoherent and makes what science as achieved in accordance with itself.
    There can be a profound philosophical debate around this, but I don't have the patience to write.
    We don't need gods. Some of us are intelligent enough to get there. How about you all? Do you need your gods to live?
    no .. I need God after Im dead
  5. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    06 Oct '07 02:22
    Originally posted by epic0002
    Your needs don't influence reality. Don't rely on gods for your need. Rely on people you love.
  6. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    06 Oct '07 02:23
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    [b]It is then transplanted into a living bacterial cell and in the final stage of the process it is expected to take control of the cell and in effect become a new life form.

That's not creating life. That's modifying life.[/b]
    You don't understand nothing about biology. Please refrain from commenting what you don't understand.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    06 Oct '07 02:391 edit
    You don't understand nothing about biology. Please refrain from commenting what you don't understand.
    I have a BS in Chemical Biology from UC Berkeley. Don't tell me what I know or don't know you tool.

You, on the other hand, are in Physics, not Biology.
  8. Standard memberepic0002
    Black Mark
    walking to and fro
    Moves
    06 Oct '07 02:52
    Your needs don't influence reality. Don't rely on gods for your need. Rely on people you love.
    I forgot.. you can always count on the unwaivering humanπŸ˜•
  9. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    06 Oct '07 09:56
    I have a BS in Chemical Biology from UC Berkeley. Don't tell me what I know or don't know you tool.

I have to back Mr AThousandYoung.

According to the Press Release from the Craig Venter Institute :

Researchers at the J. Craig Venter Institute (JCVI) today announced the results of work on genome transplantation methods allowing them to transform one type of bacteria into another type dictated by the transplanted chromosome. The work, published online in the journal Science, by JCVI’s Carole Lartigue, Ph.D. and colleagues, outlines the methods and techniques used to change one bacterial species , Mycoplasma capricolum into another , Mycoplasma mycoides Large Colony (LC), by replacing one organism’s genome with the other one’s genome.

Press Release could be found here : http://www.jcvi.org/press/news/news_2007_06_28.php

The article in Science could be found here: http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/317/5838/632
    (I don't have full access from my home, so I'll have to look into that later).
  10. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    06 Oct '07 09:58
    So, the lesson is - don't believe tabloids.
    πŸ˜€
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Oct '07 11:47

The next thing he will be telling us is that they have created matter as well as life. πŸ˜›
  12. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    06 Oct '07 12:161 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    The next thing he will be telling us is that they have created matter as well as life. πŸ˜›
    That only happens at particle accelerators.

πŸ˜‰
  13. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    06 Oct '07 12:241 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    They have already, tell me your position now.
  14. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    06 Oct '07 12:25
    That does not make sense.

You do not need God to live but you need God after you are dead? That does not make any sense to me.

Is your god of the dead? Is the realm of death the only realm in which your god is relevant and useful?
  15. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    06 Oct '07 12:27
    I forgot.. you can always count on the unwaivering humanπŸ˜•
    At least you can know for sure humans exist. If I'm feeling bad I don't pray, I call my friends for a drink. They've been a lot more supportive then any god I know.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree