1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 May '18 08:43
    Today, being Ascension Day, which is observed by Christians, is a national holiday here in Indonesia. It falls 39 days after Easter.

Most Muslims believe the prophet Jesus was not crucified - and did not die - but was raised bodily to heaven by God. An ascension of sorts, then. The Koran says "...they killed him not, nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them...".

Jews did not see Jesus as either their messiah or as a prophet and instead saw him as a criminal who was executed.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    10 May '18 08:48
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Today, being Ascension Day, which is observed by Christians, is a national holiday here in Indonesia. It falls 39 days after Easter.

Most Muslims believe the prophet Jesus was not crucified - and did not die - but was raised bodily to heaven by God. An ascension of sorts, then. The Koran says "...they killed him not, nor crucified him, but so it was made to ...[text shortened]... esus as either their messiah or as a prophet and instead saw him as a criminal who was executed.
    And how do you see Jesus, Kiddo?
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    10 May '18 10:223 edits
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    And how do you see Jesus, Kiddo?
    From what FMF has said in the past it seems FMF sees him as being the charismatic leader of some convoluted ancient Hebrew mythology who was partly responsible for the spread of some superstitious nonsense regarding the afterlife.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    10 May '18 10:39
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    From what FMF has said in the past it seems FMF sees him as being the charismatic leader of some convoluted ancient Hebrew mythology who was partly responsible for the spread of some superstitious nonsense regarding the afterlife.
    How did FMF go from being a Christian for 30 years to that?

A day or two ago, he attributed the change to “no longer believing what Christians said about themselves and about Jesus” and became quite testy when asked to elaborate.

Surely there’s more to the story than that.

Has he explained in the past what caused his loss of faith? He brings it up all the time but never says what happened or why.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    10 May '18 11:24
    How did FMF go from being a Christian for 30 years to that?

A day or two ago, he attributed the change to “no longer believing what Christians said about themselves and about Jesus” and became quite testy when asked to elaborate.

Surely there’s more to the story than that.

Has he explained in the past what caused his loss of faith? He brings it up all the time but never says what happened or why.
    It seems FMF is elaborating on his journey from believer to atheist in another thread.

Glad I put a bee in his bonnet.
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    10 May '18 13:07
    It seems FMF is elaborating on his journey from believer to atheist in another thread.

Glad I put a bee in his bonnet.
    Get in line for some Christian psychoanalysis. Two chairs, no waiting.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 May '18 20:082 edits

Most Muslims believe the prophet Jesus was not crucified - and did not die - but was raised bodily to heaven by God. An ascension of sorts, then. The Koran says "...they killed him not, nor crucified him, but so it was made to ...[text shortened]... esus as either their messiah or as a prophet and instead saw him as a criminal who was executed.
    It is observed by some Christians, most notably Catholics and Anglican denominations. The protestant denominations who do often shift the date forward to the next Sunday, at least in America, in an attempt to reach more people.

In my church, which is part of the Anglican Communion, it is a Principal Feast day. Next is Pentacost, coming ten days later.
  8. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    10 May '18 23:46

Is there something you're trying to say?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 May '18 23:52
    Originally posted by @secondson
    Is there something you're trying to say?
    The OP is pretty straight forward and uncontroversial. Suzanne has pointed out that Ascension Day is not marked by all Christians, though.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    11 May '18 00:22
    The OP is pretty straight forward and uncontroversial. Suzanne has pointed out that Ascension Day is not marked by all Christians, though.
    What are your thoughts, Kiddo?
  11. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    11 May '18 00:24
    Yes. And a lot of people that don't believe in Jesus celebrate Christmas.

There's only one really most significant day for all true believers, and that's the day Jesus rose from the dead.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 May '18 00:37

There's only one really most significant day for all true believers, and that's the day Jesus rose from the dead.
    Do you mark Ascension Day?
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    11 May '18 07:40

In Judaism, Yom Kippur (Atonement Day) is arguably the most sacred holiday of the Jewish year.

'Atonement', of course, is also a central tenet of the Christianity faith. With this in mind, 'why' is the day 'Jesus rose from the dead' the only really significant day for all true believers?
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 May '18 08:51

That is not a day I hold as a special or significant day. I hold no days as especially significant except the day that is today.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 May '18 09:20
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    It is observed by some Christians, most notably Catholics and Anglican denominations. The protestant denominations who do often shift the date forward to the next Sunday, at least in America, in an attempt to reach more people.

In my church, which is part of the Anglican Communion, it is a Principal Feast day. Next is Pentacost, coming ten days later.
    Wow, normally I am a great speller, but this one embarrasses me.

It's Pentecost, Suzi, not Pentacost.

I've not been sleeping well lately, and I think it's catching up to me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree