1. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    19 Aug '17 20:022 edits
    Originally posted by @fabianfnas
    Exactly, babies hasn't done the decision, therefore it is an atheist.
    Atheism comes from a decision about theistic claims. Babies haven't made such decisions, and so are not atheist.

When the baby and grown up, he can (1) make his own decision, or he can (2) just follow his parents decision. (1) means that the decision has been taken consciously and seriously. However I think (2) is much more common.
    Indoctrination is normal. Children of actors/politicians/doctors tend to become actors/politicians/doctors. But children of actors/politicians/doctors are not actors/politicians/doctors any more than the children of anyone is anything, including theistic or atheistic.

Babies have no opinion yet on theistic issues. Atheism reflects an opinion on theistic issues.

I say every new born baby is atheist, meaning that it doesn't believe in a god, in any god at all, and only later make a decision according to (1) or (2) above.
    Never heard a new born baby utter his first word as 'halleluja', never...

I say babies have no opinion of god-belief, one way or the other. And none have popped into this world while claiming that they are unconvinced that gods exist.

What do rocks has anything to do with anything here? Show me a christian rock, and perhaps I will change my opinion. But not until then...
    You say babies do not believe in god, therefore they are atheistic. Rocks don't believe in gods either.

Listen please. You are using standard definitions for a technical subject. Your conversation isn't even 101 yet.
  2. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    19 Aug '17 20:05
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    Like you know!
    I've heard that newborns remember heaven.
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 Aug '17 21:29
    Originally posted by @apathist
    I've heard that newborns remember heaven.
    I witnessed the birth of all four of my kids. I immediately loved them, I would not be surprised if a touch of the devine rests on all new borns. Never gave it a thought it you said that.
  4. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    21 Aug '17 00:40
    I witnessed the birth of all four of my kids. I immediately loved them, I would not be surprised if a touch of the devine rests on all new borns. Never gave it a thought it you said that.
    Everyone feels that. Hindus and Muslims. Are your forever banned from seeing past your indoctrination.
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Aug '17 00:44
    Everyone feels that. Hindus and Muslims. Are your forever banned from seeing past your indoctrination.
    Blow it out your ear!
  6. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    21 Aug '17 00:54
    Blow it out your ear!
    Done. Your position still is as it is. And you know how it is. Makes you mad.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Aug '17 03:06
    Done. Your position still is as it is. And you know how it is. Makes you mad.
    Your non-stop insulting of my faith, isn't placing you on my top ten list.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Aug '17 05:04
    I assume you care about truth - you want to know what is real and what is not.

How is that served by faith belief and stories of myth?
    You seem to assume that what one has faith in cannot be true.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Aug '17 05:06
    That is not a good approach. Atheism involves a decision about particular claims. Babies haven't made that decision. Babies are without theism, and are also without atheism.

Rocks don't believe in god, but that doesn't make them atheistic. We don't win by default.
    Actually, you don't win at all.

By rejecting God, you sentence yourselves.

Just sayin'.
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    21 Aug '17 16:25
    Your non-stop insulting of my faith, isn't placing you on my top ten list.
    Am I still at number 4?
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Aug '17 16:43
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Am I still at number 4?
    No, you moved to 2 and held it for three weeks, but your at 3 now. Still well done you!
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    21 Aug '17 17:08
    No, you moved to 2 and held it for three weeks, but your at 3 now. Still well done you!
    🙂 I once made it to number 2 on Suzianne's top 10 list, but dropped dramatically to 397 when I questioned the watchability of Star Trek.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Aug '17 17:14
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    🙂 I once made it to number 2 on Suzianne's top 10 list, but dropped dramatically to 397 when I questioned the watchability of Star Trek.
    I just thought your check got held up in the mail. Direct deposit is so much better! 😉
  14. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    21 Aug '17 21:41
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    You seem to assume that what one has faith in cannot be true.
    And yet I don't. Something wrong with your think process.
  15. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    21 Aug '17 21:52
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Actually, you don't win at all.

By rejecting God, you sentence yourselves.

Just sayin'.
    But I don't reject God. I don't reject easter bunny santa clause or tooth fairy, either. I just see no reason to think they exist.

Christianity is weird, as religions go. The passes to the preferred afterlife go not to the moral people, those who try hard to do right. Instead they go to the sycophants, those ready and willing and even desperate to bend the knee.

Your God drowned the planet in a fit of anger at its own mistake! All hail, right?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree