1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 02:39
    Originally posted by josephw
    Sometimes I think you folks is smokin' weed.
    Listen Joseph.

From what I've seen, there are few rational Christians who post on this forum. In fact, many of the Christians are decidedly irrational. On the other side, there seem to be few irrational atheists. Even when I do not agree with them, their arguments, by and large, have an air of reasonableness to them. I can't say the same about the arguments by Christians.

I'm sure YOU think your arguments are reasonable, but I'm sorry, they just aren't.
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 02:49
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Listen Joseph.

From what I've seen, there are few rational Christians who post on this forum. In fact, many of the Christians are decidedly irrational. On the other side, there seem to be few irrational atheists. Even when I do not agree with them, their arguments, by and large, have an air of reasonableness to them. I can't say the same about the arg ...[text shortened]... ans.

I'm sure YOU think your arguments are reasonable, but I'm sorry, they just aren't.
    It's irrational when one thinks they're always right and that they're opinions constitute truth.

You should be sorry.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 03:03
    It's irrational when one thinks they're always right and that they're opinions constitute truth.

You should be sorry.
    Hey Joseph, you may not like it, but it is what it is.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 03:10
    Hey Joseph, you may not like it, but it is what it is.
    What is I like, but what isn't I don't. 🙂
  5. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 04:51
    Okay. So I'm not getting through. I'll try another tact.

Atheism denies the existence of a creator. So, it's twin, evolution, fills the void.

If either is true, then perception of reality resides only in what one knows through the senses.

That being the case, things such as law and morality are merely inventions of humans and is therefore subject to ...[text shortened]... a better species. What difference does it make. We're all dead just the same.

In a box.
    Edit: “Atheism denies the existence of a creator. So, it's twin, evolution, fills the void.”

Atheists stand against specific falsified religious and metaphysic theories of reality that accept the existence of a “supernatural entity who created the universe”, and they act this way due to the fact that there is not the slightest scientific and philosophic find and evidence pointing towards that direction. However there are miscellaneous non-falsified scientific theories or reality that explain which way the universe could come into existence without a deus ex machina.
    On the other hand, the theory of evolution is not related to the so called creation of the universe.

Edit: “If either is true, then perception of reality resides only in what one knows through the senses.”

Regardless of one’s religious beliefs, one’s perception of reality is related solely to the physical world, to her/ his psychological world and to the world of the ideas that are projected by the individual and the humanity. The interface we are using in order to be connected with these three worlds are our 6 senses alone.

Edit: “That being the case, things such as law and morality are merely inventions of humans and is therefore subject to speculation.”

Inventions of the human mind as law and morality are indeed subject to speculation and they must be accepted or rejected after concrete evaluation and reasoning alone. In a secular society we go through this issue by means of intelligent debate.

Edit: “One is then free to exercise they're will in any way they choose, and when all is said and done it won't matter one wit.”

Nope; after the evaluation and the consensus, the accepted law and the given morality become social agents that they trigger specific behavior and attitude within the society. If you break the law you will suffer the consequenses.

Edit: “As a matter of fact we could just as easily exterminate the human race and wait for another 500,000 years to pass and see if nature can create a better species. What difference does it make. We're all dead just the same.”

I do not understand your point.

Edit: “In a box.”

😵
  6. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 05:23
    Then why can't anyone argue with my points?

Atheism produces nothing. Atheism is a void in reality simply because it has no merit.

I couldn't have simplified it any more than I did, and still there are no coherent rebuttals.
    Atheism doesn't aim to produce anything. It's not a religious or philosophical perspective - just the absence of one.
    My atheism doesn't determine who I am, what I believe, how I act - I do these things based on my ethical standpoint, on my background, on my education, on my past experiences, and so on.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 05:25
    Then why can't anyone argue with my points?
    You got a whole page of responses to your first post. You ignored them and went on to say:
    "Okay. So I'm not getting through. I'll try another tact."

Now you claim that nobody can argue with your points? Maybe it is because you are sitting there with your hands over your eyes.

I am still waiting to hear from you whether you deliberately insulted me when you implied that I am less capable of thinking outside the box than you or whether it was merely a logical error on your part. (It certainly did not logically follow from anything you have presented thus far).

There are a whole range of other questions you have not yet answered - and you wonder why you cannot 'get through to us'.
  8. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 07:14
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    There are a whole range of other questions you have not yet answered - and you wonder why you cannot 'get through to us'.
    Because we don't have FAITH!
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 13:10
    Hold your horses. I'll be back.
  10. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    16 Oct '09 01:43
    –noun 1. the doctrine or belief that there is no God.

Okay. So if one thinks that they are merely the sum total of all that they have experienced through their senses, then their life is scripted.

If ones' life is only scripted, then that one has their head in a box, so to speak.

If ones' head is in a box, then one cannot think outside the box.

...[text shortened]... nk outside that box; because his or her thinking is limited by a finite number of experiences.
    Wow, that's quite possibly the worst argument I have ever seen on this forum.
  11. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    16 Oct '09 17:03
    Listen Joseph.

From what I've seen, there are few rational Christians who post on this forum. In fact, many of the Christians are decidedly irrational. On the other side, there seem to be few irrational atheists. Even when I do not agree with them, their arguments, by and large, have an air of reasonableness to them. I can't say the same about the arg ...[text shortened]... ans.

And yet when I point out to you that your position has within it a gross flaw in logic you have nothing to say?

Your position is so unstable and irrational that you won't even let anyone use your own rationale to debate with you. Is there any standard of logic (or otherwise) that you will hold yourself to? It seems the only criteria you ever apply is "ToONE is always right".
  12. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    16 Oct '09 23:041 edit
    Atheists believe that once your life is over you turn to dust.

The only thing you leave behind is what you have accomplished, your children etc.

But if we had a nuclear war and the world was blown up there would be nothing left.

Accomplishments, memories, children, EVERYTHING would be gone. Dead.

As a Christian, if the world blew up we would still have life AFTER death. The possibilities of our eternal life are endless.

Atheists are in a box.
  13. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    16 Oct '09 23:35
    Originally posted by SharpeMother

The only thing you leave behind is what you have accomplished, your children etc.

But if we had a nuclear war and the world was blown up there would be nothing left.

As a Christian, if the world blew up we w ...[text shortened]... life AFTER death. The possibilities of our eternal life are endless.

Atheists are in a box.
    The possibilities of eternal life are endless?
    Even if there were evidence that any gods actually did exist, and that they had kids who were nailed to bits of wood, and they intervened in our lives whenever they felt like it and not when they didn't ... even if all this were true, the notion of eternal life is abhorent.
    We live and die, so that the world can continue, so that other life can go on, so our children can grow and make their own way.
    I don't want to live in a world where we go on and on and on and on ... what a bizarre and horrendous place that would be.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Oct '09 00:03
    Originally posted by amannion
    The possibilities of eternal life are endless?
    Even if there were evidence that any gods actually did exist, and that they had kids who were nailed to bits of wood, and they intervened in our lives whenever they felt like it and not when they didn't ... even if all this were true, the notion of eternal life is abhorent.
    We live and die, so that the world ...[text shortened]... rld where we go on and on and on and on ... what a bizarre and horrendous place that would be.
    i think its more horrendous to live seventy or eighty years, with so much potential and never seeing it fulfilled, that is the ultimate tragedy, dont you think?
  15. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    17 Oct '09 00:28
    Originally posted by SharpeMother

As a Christian, if the world blew up we w ...[text shortened]... life AFTER death. The possibilities of our eternal life are endless.

Atheists are in a box.
    So you are suggesting that atheists should believe in christianity because you assume it will make them feel better?

If my arm gets chopped off, no believing that it will grow back will make it grow back, even if I wanted it to.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree