1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Jun '11 13:55
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So the truth is halfway between "not it isn't" and "yes it is"?
    Please explain.
    Good one. Ha! Ha!
  2. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    12 Jun '11 14:05
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So the truth is halfway between "not it isn't" and "yes it is"?
    Please explain.
    Extremist never seem to have the Truth. Only a distirtion of things can be had with fringe movements from any direction. If there is a Truth to be had I doubt you will find it with lets say Fred Phelps, and his band of nut cases from Westboro Baptist.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Jun '11 14:11
    Originally posted by buckky
    Extremist never seem to have the Truth. Only a distirtion of things can be had with fringe movements from any direction. If there is a Truth to be had I doubt you will find it with lets say Fred Phelps, and his band of nut cases from Westboro Baptist.
    Another good one. I like your fighting spirit.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    12 Jun '11 14:34
    The truth is not dependent upon people, it is what it is. Extremist have issues,
    but that does not mean there isn't a grain of truth with them either right or
    left leaning. Those that lean one way or another at least they stand for
    something verses one that doesn't have a clue.
    Kelly
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    12 Jun '11 14:34
    Only a fool is cock sure of himself.
    Are you sure? 🙂
    Kelly
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Jun '11 14:38
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Are you sure? 🙂
    Kelly
    I marvel at the wit today.
  7. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    12 Jun '11 16:27
    The truth is not dependent upon people, it is what it is. Extremist have issues,
    but that does not mean there isn't a grain of truth with them either right or
    left leaning. Those that lean one way or another at least they stand for
    something verses one that doesn't have a clue.
    Kelly
    It's not about not having a clue it's about being honest with yourself and not pretending. If I don't know something I don't know it. I can pretend that I know something, but that is living in pretend world. Not knowing something is not a bad thing. It's just the way it is, and when it comes to God there is no way I can claim to know anything about it.
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    12 Jun '11 16:51
    It's not about not having a clue it's about being honest with yourself and not pretending. If I don't know something I don't know it. I can pretend that I know something, but that is living in pretend world. Not knowing something is not a bad thing. It's just the way it is, and when it comes to God there is no way I can claim to know anything about it.
    So I know my kids, do you? I can claim I know my son because we have a
    relationship together, do you have one with my son? You can claim you have
    no way to know God, but because you do not in your current condition does
    not at all mean that has to remain that way. The thing is I cannot prove God
    is real to you, only God can, the great thing about God is, He can and does
    upon an honest request.
    Kelly
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    12 Jun '11 18:02
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    [b]Is the atheist saying he knows for a fact that God does not exist ?

I don't think any atheist could say they know for a fact God does not exist. I certainly don't.[/b]
    Any entity we could properly refer to as "God" would not be fully conceivable to the human mind, and would be, moreover, ineffable -- not describable in words. The idea of God is beyond human comprehension, because whatever is comprehended about such an entity, existent or not, must necessarily miss the mark. If you think you know something about God, that means you don't.

For such reasons, I believe both the theist and atheist are justified only to say, "No entity I can conceive of, comprehend, or describe, could be God" and leave it at that.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Jun '11 18:22
    Originally posted by JS357
    Any entity we could properly refer to as "God" would not be fully conceivable to the human mind, and would be, moreover, ineffable -- not describable in words. The idea of God is beyond human comprehension, because whatever is comprehended about such an entity, existent or not, must necessarily miss the mark. If you think you know something about God, that mea ...[text shortened]... "No entity I can conceive of, comprehend, or describe, could be God" and leave it at that.
    We don't know everything about God, but we know enough
    because of His Son, Jesus. "Like Father, Like Son" the old
    saying goes.
  11. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    12 Jun '11 18:36
    Originally posted by JS357
    Any entity we could properly refer to as "God" would not be fully conceivable to the human mind, and would be, moreover, ineffable -- not describable in words. The idea of God is beyond human comprehension, because whatever is comprehended about such an entity, existent or not, must necessarily miss the mark. If you think you know something about God, that mea ...[text shortened]... "No entity I can conceive of, comprehend, or describe, could be God" and leave it at that.
    Very good.
  12. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    12 Jun '11 18:51
    So I know my kids, do you? I can claim I know my son because we have a
    relationship together, do you have one with my son? You can claim you have
    no way to know God, but because you do not in your current condition does
    not at all mean that has to remain that way. The thing is I cannot prove God
    is real to you, only God can, the great thing about God is, He can and does
    upon an honest request.
    Kelly
    I think you have me pegged as a non believer in a God. I'm not a non believer I'm just a person that knows nothing about the specifics. When I say I believe in God I really don't know exactlly what I mean by that. I believe this all can't be a big fluke. The fact that we are having this conversation tells me we are made up of more than flesh and bone. We think, we speculate, we make art, we make religions, we debate issues. All this to me seems like more than a passing moment that has no meaning. What the meaning is I can't say. Call me a romantic but I sense more than just a physical world. I just can't be certain about ideas or specifics because it seems so silly to pretend to know about areas that can't be known. At least I have not experienced what I feel is coherant proof of anything I could talk about for certain. I have had what I think the Christians would refer as a born again experience twenty years ago but I never bought into the Christian doctrine. I have had expeiences with yogic practices that I can't explain clearly, but lead me to believe in the spiritual world. I have had drug experiences that seemed to spiritual in nature, but who knows what it was, but it sure seemed like the real deal. I'm fascinated with the spiritual side of life, but fustrated at the same time.
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    12 Jun '11 21:22
    Is the atheist saying he knows for a fact that God does not exist ? The agnostic leaves the door open for what ever truth might be. The believer claims to know for sure what truth is. It seems the agnostic has the most rational stance.
    Since the answer to the first question is a clear "No", then all that follows is worthless.
  14. weedhopper
    Moves
    12 Jun '11 21:40
    You sort of remind me of a Chatty Cathy Doll. Pull the string and a few sayings will come out. Like a robot.
    You asked him a question---he answered. What's the problem?
  15. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    12 Jun '11 21:56
    Is the atheist saying he knows for a fact that God does not exist ? The agnostic leaves the door open for what ever truth might be. The believer claims to know for sure what truth is. It seems the agnostic has the most rational stance.
    Pretty much, although agnostic and atheist are often used interchangeably for some reason.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree