1. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    27 Aug '12 08:52
    How long should the atheist wait for the believer to realize the myth of god before admitting the believer is bonkers and ending the relationship?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Aug '12 08:57
    Originally posted by Trev33
    How long should the atheist wait for the believer to realize the myth of god before admitting the believer is bonkers and ending the relationship?
    Shouldn't the atheist have considered this before getting involved with the theist?
  3. Joined
    13 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Aug '12 09:04
    This is a matter of who will brainwash who.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Aug '12 09:22
    Why end a relationship simply because the other party is bonkers? How many sane people do you know?
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    27 Aug '12 10:19
    how long should the believer wait for the atheist to stop ridiculing his beliefs?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Aug '12 10:29
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    how long should the believer wait for the atheist to stop ridiculing his beliefs?
    In my experience, real life is not like this forum: the vast majority of atheists don't care less about what theists believe, let alone are they motivated to ridicule it. Partners need to accept each other for what they are and I doubt there are many relationships that can survive long if those involved are ridiculing each other over something deeply held.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Aug '12 12:08
    Originally posted by FMF
    In my experience, real life is not like this forum: the vast majority of atheists don't care less about what theists believe, let alone are they motivated to ridicule it. Partners need to accept each other for what they are and I doubt there are many relationships that can survive long if those involved are ridiculing each other over something deeply held.
    THe Bible warns believers not to be "unequally yoked".

I suppose it all depends on where you heart is. Is your faith something more than just a simple belief? Do you live out your faith and is it an intergral part of your life? So if you are joined with someone who is not of the faith, will they want you to tithe money to the church? Will they want to go to church with you? Will they share the most important part of your life, which is your relationship with your God? Will they be there to pray with you and build you up in your faith etc?

Don't get me wrong, I've seen couples adapt but it is hardly ideal and have seen many break up as a result.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Aug '12 12:13
    Originally posted by whodey
    Is your faith something more than just a simple belief? Do you live out your faith and is it an intergral part of your life? So if you are joined with someone who is not of the faith, will they want you to tithe money to the church? Will they want to go to church with you? Will they share the most important part of your life, which is your relationship with your God? Will they be there to pray with you and build you up in your faith etc?

People should perhaps not get into relationships if they are going to 'fail' in terms of your checklist above.
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    27 Aug '12 12:551 edit
    If they're the type that is always talking in religious jargon all the time, then the atheist probably won't even let that relationship start in the first place.

But if they're one of the more normal believers who can hold their belief without trying to change yours, then there may be no problem. I'm not going to walk away from a good relationship just because the other person believes something I don't, and I'm not going to try to 'convert' them to atheism either.
  10. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    27 Aug '12 17:52
    if the atheist got into the relationship with the hopes of converting the partner out of their beliefs, it is the atheist who is bonkers.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Aug '12 18:02
    Most Christians I know or associate with are warm-hearted, socially balanced individuals although there are exceptions; the same goes for atheists I know.
    If a person cannot discern the personal characteristics that are required in another person for them to maintain a stable relationship, then they are probably doomed to repeated failure irrespective of either person’s religious beliefs, or indeed lack of them.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    27 Aug '12 20:13
    I have had a number of partners who are theists - never been a problem for either of us. Occassional good-natured debates but as others have said you have to respect each others opinions.

And just because I'm an atheist does not mean I want to convert anyone from theism - in fact I would never bring up the subject of religion - its of no consequence to me.

If a partner tried converting me though ... that relationship would last 10 seconds!
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 Aug '12 22:14
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Why end a relationship simply because the other party is bonkers? How many sane people do you know?
    Story of my life.

My couch is a like a landing pad for freaks.
  14. Jo'Burg South Africa
    Moves
    27 Aug '12 22:20
    Originally posted by whodey
    THe Bible warns believers not to be "unequally yoked".

I suppose it all depends on where you heart is. Is your faith something more than just a simple belief? Do you live out your faith and is it an intergral part of your life? So if you are joined with someone who is not of the faith, will they want you to tithe money to the church? Will they want t ...[text shortened]... ong, I've seen couples adapt but it is hardly ideal and have seen many break up as a result.
    The Bible does warn about these types of relationships, especially for the believer.
    There are many red lights flashing here and if the person is a real believer - he/she should rather quickly in the relationship know what the other ones believes are. If you look past what the Bible warned you, it's only your fault.
  15. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    28 Aug '12 02:24
    The vast majority of my relationships are with persons who are religious to at least some degree. That includes pretty much my entire family, not to mention my girlfriend who is Catholic. This ain't no thing but a chicken wing.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree