1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Jan '09 00:261 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i don't want to hurt your feelings but that's not art! but mere illustration! and commercial at that!
    And yet, you were saying something about chess being art, robbie?

My chess is an excellent "illustration" of real life abstract defeatism...
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Jan '09 00:34
    Originally posted by divegeester
    And yet, you were saying something about chess being art, robbie?

My chess is an excellent "illustration" of real life abstract defeatism...
    lol, yes its an art form, there is composition, movement, direction, themes, creativity, imagination, bold strokes and subtle ones, sometimes we achieve our objectives, sometimes we don't, but for the most part, its a form of self expression, we express our thoughts on the chess board, certainly for you or I it is a non commercial enterprise. if we want to improve, we are forced to look at ourselves, why we thought in a certain way, its beautiful, it takes humility and patience, but i know how you feel, im getting hammered left right and mostly in the center as we speak!
  3. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    09 Jan '09 06:25
    lol, yes its an art form, there is composition, movement, direction, themes, creativity, imagination, bold strokes and subtle ones, sometimes we achieve our objectives, sometimes we don't, but for the most part, its a form of self expression, we express our thoughts on the chess board, certainly for you or I it is a non commercial enterprise. if we ...[text shortened]... , but i know how you feel, im getting hammered left right and mostly in the center as we speak!
    there is
    Sacrifice😵
  4. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    09 Jan '09 07:42
    Originally posted by black beetle
    there is
    Sacrifice😵
    ...for starters
    😵
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Jan '09 09:13
    Originally posted by black beetle
    ...for starters
    😵
    yes! the art of sacrifice!
  6. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    09 Jan '09 14:12

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    09 Jan '09 14:58
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I cannot understand why Mr Stephen Green, the national director of Christian Voice, did not lodge a complaint against the British Humanist Association😵
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    16 Jan '09 15:57
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/7832647.stm
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Jan '09 22:36
    Originally posted by Palynka
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/7832647.stm
    I bet he feels really important and holy now.
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    17 Jan '09 12:50
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I bet he feels really important and holy now.
    It's funny how some people feel that the right to freedom of religion doesn't include atheism.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jan '09 01:101 edit
    It's funny how some people feel that the right to freedom of religion doesn't include atheism.
    i think that it may be different Palynka, for when one sees a religious slogan, it is not actively trying to call into question the validity of anothers faith, not directly, although by its very nature it may offend an atheist, however it is merely trying to present its own point of view without recourse to anothers, wheres the atheistic stance is a little more subversive as it openly challenges anothers faith, does it not?
  12. Playing with matches
    Moves
    18 Jan '09 02:11
    i think that it may be different Palynka, for when one sees a religious slogan, it is not actively trying to call into question the validity of anothers faith, not directly, although by its very nature it may offend an atheist, however it is merely trying to present its own point of view without recourse to anothers, wheres the atheistic stance is a little more subversive as it openly challenges anothers faith, does it not?
    Hear me out, as I recognize I've been abrupt with you in the past. I apologize.

I would say that part of the reason I reacted negatively to your post in an earlier thread is for exactly this reason. I reacted to your assertions as a challenge.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jan '09 10:56
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    Hear me out, as I recognize I've been abrupt with you in the past. I apologize.

I would say that part of the reason I reacted negatively to your post in an earlier thread is for exactly this reason. I reacted to your assertions as a challenge.
    my friend such humility is deserving of a listening ear! sometimes its the nature of the forum, for some reason spirituality is such an emotive subject and both theists and non theists say things we would not ordinarily say, so lay it on, whatever you got, if a compromise cannot be reached a mutual understanding should be within our grasp.
  14. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    19 Jan '09 10:181 edit
    There are many Hindu and Buddhist bus drivers that would see the same in a Christian message. So would Hindu and Buddhist bus drivers be justified in doing the same thing?

Why can't we all simply listen to words and be challenged without feeling offended? Is it not part of the right of freedom of religion to openly state the justification for one's faith (or lack thereof)?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jan '09 14:23
    There are many Hindu and Buddhist bus drivers that would see the same in a Christian message. So would Hindu and Buddhist bus drivers be justified in doing the same thing?

Why can't we all simply listen to words and be challenged without feeling offended? Is it not part of the right of freedom of religion to openly state the justification for one's faith (or lack thereof)?
    yes, undoubtedly one should not be offended, although this seems to have been the original premise why the adds were started, however consider this, when we see a christian slogan (actually they really annoy me for they seem so ill conceived and without explanation) for example, 'god loved the world so much that he gave his only begotten son.....everlasting life etc etc', if we are a Hindu or a Bhudist will we not conclude that this is just the affirmation of the christian faith, it does not in anyway seek to refute nor undermine our own, but simply presents an alternative. can the same be said of the atheistic declaration that there is probably no God, is this not a direct challenge with a subtle subversive element. it may therefore be argued that this is not really an attempt to express a religious stance or lack of but to directly refute another and as a consequence it is nothing less than subversive jingoistic propaganda. does it challenge Christianity or any other faith for that matter?, probably not, but now a whole new can of worms has been opened, for if an atheistic stance is to be declared there can be no valid objection to those insipid slogans however well meaning they are, that Christianity is so fond of putting outside their churches!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree