1. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    11 Nov '05 16:56
    Originally posted by Nyxie
    I have suggested no such thing. I am trying to ascertain the reasoning that led to this aparthied. You may notice that wib successfully discussed politics in this spirituality forum.

What I'm seeing is that the Christians, whom are being accused of being closeminded and such, are much more forgiving of trangessions in thier domain.

Follow,
    And so they should be (although I'm not actually sure this is true anyway), their religion encourages it does it not? I have no reason to forgive stupidity, insult or arguement. If I were to do so, my own stance on most arguements would be watered down. I speak only for myself in this regard, but I am not looking for equality or compromise in the course of debate, I can agree to disagree, but if I was looking for grey area outcomes I'd debate with my mother.

My atheism and or their theism is of no matter to the subject of spirituality, all who join the table may take part in the meal.
  2. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    11 Nov '05 16:56
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Then there'd be nothing to discuss. We could pat ourselves on the back about how right we were in our respective groups, but despite best intentions to continue the debates within our seperate worlds, eventually we'd get bored of agreeing all the time.
    I disagree.
  3. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    11 Nov '05 16:58
    And so they should be (although I'm not actually sure this is true anyway), their religion encourages it does it not? I have no reason to forgive stupidity, insult or arguement. If I were to do so, my own stance on most arguements would be watered down. I speak only for myself in this regard, but I am not looking for equality or compromise in the course ...[text shortened]... s of no matter to the subject of spirituality, all who join the table may take part in the meal.
    I would ask that you learn to apply this philosophy across the board and extend the same courtesy to others.
  4. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    11 Nov '05 16:59
    I would ask that you learn to apply this philosophy across the board and extend the same courtesy to others.
    I am unsure what you mean.
  5. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    11 Nov '05 17:00
    I am unsure what you mean.
    My atheism and or their theism is of no matter to the subject of spirituality, all who join the table may take part in the meal.- Starrman

I mean that one.
  6. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    11 Nov '05 17:02
    My atheism and or their theism is of no matter to the subject of spirituality, all who join the table may take part in the meal.- Starrman

I mean that one.
    I'm pretty sure I do. I've never said that no-one can take part in a debate have I? If I have done, then I apologise.

I did not intend to suggest that I should let them stomach their food though 😉
  7. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    11 Nov '05 17:03
    I'm pretty sure I do. I've never said that no-one can take part in a debate have I? If I have done, then I apologise.

I did not intend to suggest that I should let them stomach their food though 😉
    Fair enough. I'm not pointing a finger at you personally, but you did speak up on this point.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Nov '05 17:121 edit
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    For the same reason behinid every major decision regarding the RHP community: people bitching.

QED. There's no deeper explanation.
    I support people bitching. If people did not bitch, the powers that be would have no way of knowing what the average bitcher on the street wanted.

As someone who was debating present Lebanese politics with Ivanhoe in a thread which was repeatedly interrupted by long posts of Darfius' giving totally unrelated Biblical passages concerning prophecies, interspersed with calls for us to immediately repent or lose our eternal souls, I can say that the bitching of people regarding this type of behavior was justified.
  9. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    11 Nov '05 17:141 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I support people bitching. If people did not bitch, the powers that be would have no way of knowing what the average bitcher on the street wanted.

As someone who was debating present Lebanese politics with Ivanhoe in a thread which was repeatedly interrupted by long posts of Darfius' giving totally unrelated Biblical passages concerning prophe ...[text shortened]... rnal souls, I can say that the bitching of people regarding this type of behavior was justified.
    By that measure, can we not now seperate the athiests from the actual spiritual debaters now?

edit: You know a simple stay on topic or be modded rule would have faired better and made a lot more sense.

Wanna go off topic, feel free to start another thread. You'll notice the polite people already do this.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Nov '05 17:221 edit
    By that measure, can we not now seperate the athiests from the actual spiritual debaters now?

edit: You know a simple stay on topic or be modded rule would have faired better and made a lot more sense.

Wanna go off topic, feel free to start another thread. You'll notice the polite people already do this.
    You are confused; this forum was not created as merely a place for the religious, but as a place to discuss issues related to Spirituality.
    I fail to see why atheists' views on Spirituality issues are any less on-topic than those of theists.

There are very few mods and they have enough to do (and do even that incompetently at times) without deciding whether someone has strayed sufficiently far off-topic as to have their posts removed. Obviously politeness is not a defining characteristic of internet forums.

EDIT: Debate and general discussion of the supernatural, religion, and the life after.
  11. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    11 Nov '05 17:25
    You are confused; this forum was not created as merely a place for the religious, but as a place to discuss issues related to Spirituality.
    I fail to see why atheists' views on Spirituality issues are any less on-topic than those of theists.

There are very few mods and they have enough to do (and do even that incompetently at times) without de ...[text shortened]... orums.

EDIT: Debate and general discussion of the supernatural, religion, and the life after.
    Let's say I wanted to discuss a bible verse or thiest belief with thiests, and an athiests bursts in mocking the said conversation. To me this is just as bad as a theist throwing bible versus out during a topic about lebanese politics.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Nov '05 17:27
    Let's say I wanted to discuss a bible verse or thiest belief with thiests, and an athiests bursts in mocking the said conversation. To me this is just as bad as a theist throwing bible versus out during a topic about lebanese politics.
    I fail to see how. Mockery is certainly an accepted part of informal debate. If the said mockery is relevant to the subject, what's the problem?
  13. Standard memberKnightWulfe
    Chess Samurai
    Yes
    Moves
    11 Nov '05 17:28
    Nyxie,

Having a separate forum for each is not going to cease inane interruptions. People will do what people do, whatever the title of the forum may be. The Anonymity of the internet affords people the opportunity to be crass, rude and inane without reprecussion.

I understand where you are going with your thoughts, but I think it is a moot effort.
  14. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    11 Nov '05 17:30
    I fail to see how. Mockery is certainly an accepted part of informal debate. If the said mockery is relevant to the subject, what's the problem?
    You're debating relavancy now, which is totally dependent on your point of view. To a bible thumper his bible verses are always relevant.

If I'm discussing how many miles one could walk on the sabbath, your oppinion on athiesm would not be required and is totally irrelavant. Just as you seem to think that a Christians preaching is not relevant to your said argumant.
  15. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    11 Nov '05 17:31
    Originally posted by KnightWulfe
    Nyxie,

Having a separate forum for each is not going to cease inane interruptions. People will do what people do, whatever the title of the forum may be. The Anonymity of the internet affords people the opportunity to be crass, rude and inane without reprecussion.

I understand where you are going with your thoughts, but I think it is a moot effort.
    I actually agree, but the futilety of it all struck me as wicked and sardonic.

See my post on an on topic rule.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree