1. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Joined
    26 Apr '04
    Moves
    21784
    11 Nov '05 16:19
    I've noticed that this forum seems to have a lot of atheist vs Christians going on, I think what we need to do is seperate the two so that there is'nt so much animosity.
  2. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    31382
    11 Nov '05 16:24
    Originally posted by Nyxie
    I've noticed that this forum seems to have a lot of atheist vs Christians going on, I think what we need to do is seperate the two so that there is'nt so much animosity.
    Then there'd be nothing to discuss. We could pat ourselves on the back about how right we were in our respective groups, but despite best intentions to continue the debates within our seperate worlds, eventually we'd get bored of agreeing all the time.
  3. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Joined
    26 Apr '04
    Moves
    21784
    11 Nov '05 16:26
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Then there'd be nothing to discuss. We could pat ourselves on the back about how right we were in our respective groups, but despite best intentions to continue the debates within our seperate worlds, eventually we'd get bored of agreeing all the time.
    What's your point?
  4. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    31382
    11 Nov '05 16:27
    Originally posted by Nyxie
    What's your point?
    That it's the sort of idea I'd expect from you :p
  5. Standard memberKnightWulfe
    Chess Samurai
    Yes
    Joined
    26 Apr '04
    Moves
    66095
    11 Nov '05 16:29
    I think his point is that a forum of separation would lead to bordom due to Atheist agreeing all the time and Christians agreeing all the time.

    However, I have never known either to happen for very long. Each individual has a different point of view of their belief, even if it is part of an organized religion. It would not take long for things to heat up in one way or another.
  6. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Joined
    26 Apr '04
    Moves
    21784
    11 Nov '05 16:29
    Originally posted by Starrman
    That it's the sort of idea I'd expect from you :p
    From what I understand the spirituality forum was created to keep the Religious out of the other debates. It would seem only fair that the religious people now be allowed to debate religion. I think atheists bursting in and interrupting and badmouthing religion in this forum is detrimental to it's survival.

    It would only seem fair after all.
  7. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    31382
    11 Nov '05 16:30
    Originally posted by Nyxie
    From what I understand the spirituality forum was created to keep the Religious out of the other debates. It would seem only fair that the religious people now be allowed to debate religion. I think atheists bursting in and interrupting and badmouthing religion in this forum is detrimental to it's survival.

    It would only seem fair after all.
    I'm not used to sarcasm from you, it's making my head hurt, please stop.
  8. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Joined
    26 Apr '04
    Moves
    21784
    11 Nov '05 16:33
    Originally posted by Starrman
    I'm not used to sarcasm from you, it's making my head hurt, please stop.
    I'm very subtle, if you try you'll find it in my other posts.

    But regardless of our oppinion, I am speaking of equality here. Equality is something I truely believe in.
  9. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    31382
    11 Nov '05 16:36
    Originally posted by Nyxie
    I'm very subtle, if you try you'll find it in my other posts.

    But regardless of our oppinion, I am speaking of equality here. Equality is something I truely believe in.
    Equality isn't something that can be applied to a debating arena. The function of debate is to ascertain a premise, opinion or theory which is superior in either logic, rationality or circumstance to another. We could all sit back and chat about who it's nice that the Christians believe what they do and aren't the atheists quaint in their denials, but it would mean an end to any form of debate. I for one wish never to see equality where matters of the mind or soul are at the table.
  10. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Joined
    26 Apr '04
    Moves
    21784
    11 Nov '05 16:39
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Equality isn't something that can be applied to a debating arena. The function of debate is to ascertain a premise, opinion or theory which is superior in either logic, rationality or circumstance to another. We could all sit back and chat about who it's nice that the Christians believe what they do and aren't the atheists quaint in their denials, but ...[text shortened]... ebate. I for one wish never to see equality where matters of the mind or soul are at the table.
    Then explain why this forum is seperate from debates please.
  11. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    31382
    11 Nov '05 16:421 edit
    Originally posted by Nyxie
    Then explain why this forum is seperate from debates please.
    Because people were constantly annoyed at the continuous preaching threads which appeared in almost ever debate about other subjects. The seperation was intended to allow a realm where the subject of spirituality could be debated seperately to that of politics etc.

    EDIT: Atheists are just (if not more in some cases) concerned with the subject of spirituality as theists.
  12. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Joined
    26 Apr '04
    Moves
    21784
    11 Nov '05 16:45
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Because people were constantly annoyed at the continuous preaching threads which appeared in almost ever debate about other subjects. The seperation was intended to allow a realm where the subject of spirituality could be debated seperately to that of politics etc.

    EDIT: Atheists are just (if not more in some cases) concerned with the subject of spirituality as theists.
    This seems a contradiction. Theists cannot interrupt non religious debates, but atheists can interupt thiest debates?

    I'm not sure I follow the reasoning here.
  13. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    31382
    11 Nov '05 16:48
    Originally posted by Nyxie
    This seems a contradiction. Theists cannot interrupt non religious debates, but atheists can interupt thiest debates?

    I'm not sure I follow the reasoning here.
    You are suggesting atheists have no interest in religion, which is clearly nonsense. Just because I deny god's existence, does not mean I am not entitled to continuously pursue the issue or debate the concepts involved with others, regardless of their religion or lack of it. If I were to debate politic here, rather than spirituality, that would be a point worth raising.
  14. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Joined
    13 Dec '04
    Moves
    49088
    11 Nov '05 16:48
    Originally posted by Nyxie
    Then explain why this forum is seperate from debates please.
    For the same reason behinid every major decision regarding the RHP community: people bitching.

    QED. There's no deeper explanation.
  15. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Joined
    26 Apr '04
    Moves
    21784
    11 Nov '05 16:50
    Originally posted by Starrman
    You are suggesting atheists have no interest in religion, which is clearly nonsense. Just because I deny god's existence, does not mean I am not entitled to continuously pursue the issue or debate the concepts involved with others, regardless of their religion or lack of it. If I were to debate politic here, rather than spirituality, that would be a point worth raising.
    I have suggested no such thing. I am trying to ascertain the reasoning that led to this aparthied. You may notice that wib successfully discussed politics in this spirituality forum.

    What I'm seeing is that the Christians, whom are being accused of being closeminded and such, are much more forgiving of trangessions in thier domain.

    Follow,
Back to Top