1. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    03 Feb '14 16:01
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Semantics. By refusing to acknowledge it, you are rejecting it.

We've been over and over this before.
    That is fine, as long as theists grasp that by 'reject', we don't mean 'shunned/avoided it because I didn't like it'. We tend to use a different word to avoid misunderstandings and distraction from the topic at hand.
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    03 Feb '14 16:031 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    What they all have in common, of course, is the rejection of deity and rebellion against authority.
    False. One must first recognize an authority before one can rebel against it.

If you dispute this, I must inquire about the disturbing state of angst that exists in your mind that causes you to rebel against the authority of Shiva, Zeus, Allah, etc. Surely your Dad must have abused you or died when you were very young to cause this alarming psychological fracture.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    03 Feb '14 16:07
    It's their belief; learning more about it sure isn't going to happen in a thread focused on biblical topics per se.
    Learning more about it, isn't going to happen until you start actually reading what other people write. Atheism isn't a belief - and its shocking that you don't know that yet considering the amount of threads you have started on the topic.
  4. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    03 Feb '14 17:07
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    That is fine, as long as theists grasp that by 'reject', we don't mean 'shunned/avoided it because I didn't like it'. We tend to use a different word to avoid misunderstandings and distraction from the topic at hand.
    It always seems to come down to arguments over bloody definitions!

I would expand but I can't be arsed and it's time to go home!

Laterz.

Penguin
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 Feb '14 17:43
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Learning more about it, isn't going to happen until you start actually reading what other people write. Atheism isn't a belief - and its shocking that you don't know that yet considering the amount of threads you have started on the topic.
    Learning daily.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 Feb '14 17:451 edit

If you dispute this, I must inquire about the disturbing state of angst that exists in your mind that causes you to rebel against the authority of Shiva, Zeus, Allah, etc. Surely your Dad must have abused you or died when you were very young to cause this alarming psychological fracture.
    "Atheist Talking Points: What is Atheism?"

Types of Atheism:

"You might think that Atheism is a simple concept – no god – but that would be far too simplistic. Atheism comes in an entire spectrum of beliefs, varying from Rationalism to Anti-Rationalism; from empiricism to Postmodernism; from Enlightenment to nihilism. What they all have in common, of course, is the rejection of deity and rebellion against authority. [1] (OP)

SG, have you rejected deity in the past or do you reject deity now?
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 Feb '14 17:58
    Originally posted by Penguin

Laterz.

Penguin

Laterz.

Penguin

I like that, Penguin--- "home!" is a place where we're all trying to get back to each day we live (its a yearning deep within).
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    03 Feb '14 20:15
    [b]"Atheist Talking Points: What is Atheism?"

Types of Atheism:

"You might think that Atheism is a simple concept – no god – but that would be far too simplistic. Atheism comes in an entire spectrum of beliefs, varying from Rationalism to Anti-Rationalism; from empiricism to Postmodernism; from Enlig ...[text shortened]... t authority. [1][/b] (OP)

SG, have you rejected deity in the past or do you reject deity now?[/b]
    I'm an atheist now.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 Feb '14 21:021 edit
    I'm an atheist now.
    Would it be correct to postulate that an "atheist" by definition rejects theistic deity?
  10. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    03 Feb '14 21:191 edit
    Would it be correct to postulate that an "atheist" by definition rejects theistic deity?
    This is like a stuck record!

An atheist lacks belief in a deity.

How many times?!?!?!?!

Penguin
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    03 Feb '14 21:45

[b]An atheist lacks belief in a deity.

How many times?!?!?!?!

Penguin[/b]
    It is as though the depiction of the atheist as rejecting something offered, is an essential part of some theists' worldview. It is so essential that it has to be in the definition.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 Feb '14 22:421 edit

How many times?!?!?!?!

Penguin[/b]

"Atheist Talking Points: What is Atheism?"

Types of Atheism:

"You might think that Atheism is a simple concept – no god – but that would be far too simplistic. Atheism comes in an entire spectrum of beliefs, varying from Rationalism to Anti-Rationalism; from empiricism to Postmodernism; from Enlightenment to nihilism. What they all have in common, of course, is the rejection of deity and rebellion against authority. [1] (OP)

SG, have you rejected deity in the past or do you reject deity now?[/b]

I'm an atheist now.

How many times?!?!?!?!

Penguin, there's no real cause or provocation for becoming irritated and emotional ["?!?!?!?!"]; I'm well aware of your "lack of belief in a deity", thanks to your previous statements. The reply you've chosen to reply to is made to SwissGambit. -Bob
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 Feb '14 22:48
    Originally posted by JS357
    It is as though the depiction of the atheist as rejecting something offered, is an essential part of some theists' worldview. It is so essential that it has to be in the definition.
    Originally posted by JS357

A theist trying to understand the world view of an atheist requires a starting point... a few definitional blocks to build upon.
  14. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    03 Feb '14 22:511 edit
    Correct is: an atheist does not believe any gods exist.
  15. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    03 Feb '14 22:52
    Correct is: an atheist does not believe any gods exist.
    Thank you for your honesty.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree