1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 23:59
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    what would you call somebody who believes in god but does not care about god and all the books and stuff?
    I would rank them with those people who think there are rules to the
    road, and don't know know them, and do not care, yet still feel they
    can drive with everyone else.
    Kelly
  2. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 00:08
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    There are many different ideas as to what God might be. What do you believe?
    idc.
  3. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 00:16
    This is interesting. How is it you started with finding the lack of proof as to the existence of God unacceptable, yet you find the lack of proof in atheism acceptable? Was there a transition period where you were comfortable with "I don't know"?
    I guess I was always inclined towards the 'I don't know' view, even when I was going to church as a youth. I have a huge interest in religious ideas and continue to read into and think about theological stuff.
    I think the 'lack of proof' notion is an easy label to fix on and so I did, but as I think about it now there are other things that made me uncomfortable - such as organised religion, religious extremism, fundamental errors and faults in religious texts, and so on.
    I guess I find lack of proof in atheism acceptable because I choose to be atheist from a philosophical perspective. The proof is not really an issue either way.
  4. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 00:19
    Originally posted by josephw
    Except that the believers faith leads to a relationship with a real God. Whereas the faith of an atheist leads to nowhere.
    No, that's your perspective.
    My faith in no god leads me to recognise my own importance in helping myself through my life - that is, I can rely on no external, supernatural entity to help me.

Actually, as I write this, it's interesting that more in the US aren't atheists - given the apparent love for independence and self-reliance that Americans seem to have.
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 00:28
    Originally posted by amannion
    No, that's your perspective.
    My faith in no god leads me to recognise my own importance in helping myself through my life - that is, I can rely on no external, supernatural entity to help me.

Actually, as I write this, it's interesting that more in the US aren't atheists - given the apparent love for independence and self-reliance that Americans seem to have.
    I like self reliance as the next guy, that being said I also believe that
    I have to give credit where it is due. I have no issues with crediting
    God for those things that God has given me, and for the direcition
    I seek when I go to Him.
    Kelly
  6. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 00:38
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I like self reliance as the next guy, that being said I also believe that
    I have to give credit where it is due. I have no issues with crediting
    God for those things that God has given me, and for the direcition
    I seek when I go to Him.
    Kelly
    I'm sure you do.
    I have no issue with your view on the world, as I would hope religious people would have no issue with mine. (Unfortunately, there are many on both sides who do take issue with our views, but that's another story.)

I completely respect the right of all people to develop their own takes on the world and their position in it. I could hardly do otherwise, working and living with many people of religious persuasion, many of whom I count as close friends.
    As you know, Kelly, my problem occurs when religious thought enters realms where it doesn't - or shouldn't - apply. But of course, that's from my perspective as an atheist.
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 00:56
    Maybe because by definition that's what it is. By the way, I don't think this is limited to Christians. It'll be quite the undertaking.

Like I told Bad Wolf:
    [b]This was from the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary. You'll have to take it up with them.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=4607&dict=CALD

And from wittywonka: ...[text shortened]...

(http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/agnostic)
    (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/atheist)
    [/b][/b]
    Well, your definition is not accurate. My dictionary says: A disbelief in the existence of a deity.

A disbelief.

If you break the word down, it literally means "without theism." Theism being a belief in a god, and the prefix 'a' meaning 'without.' Thus, an atheist is one without belief in a god. So I repeat: atheism is not a belief. It is the lack of belief.
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 01:06
    Originally posted by amannion
    I'm sure you do.
    I have no issue with your view on the world, as I would hope religious people would have no issue with mine. (Unfortunately, there are many on both sides who do take issue with our views, but that's another story.)

I completely respect the right of all people to develop their own takes on the world and their position in it. I could hard ...[text shortened]... it doesn't - or shouldn't - apply. But of course, that's from my perspective as an atheist.
    Respect of views and personhood is vital to us all, I'm not sure where
    you think religion shouldn't be, but that is another discussion.
    Kelly
  9. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 01:10
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Respect of views and personhood is vital to us all, I'm not sure where
    you think religion shouldn't be, but that is another discussion.
    Kelly
    Evolution. Where else?
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 01:263 edits
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Well, your definition is not accurate. My dictionary says: A disbelief in the existence of a deity.

[b]A disbelief.

If you break the word down, it literally means "without theism." Theism being a belief in a god, and the prefix 'a' meaning 'without.' Thus, an atheist is one without belief in a god. So I repeat: atheism is not a belief. It is the lack of belief.[/b]
    It's not "my" definition. It's the definition given by Cambridge and Merriam-Webster.

You still think it's true that there is no God, which is a "belief" in and of itself.

Here's Encarta's definition:

be·lief [ bi lf ] (plural be·liefs)
    noun

Definition:
    1. acceptance of truth of something: acceptance by the mind that something is true or real, often underpinned by an emotional or spiritual sense of certainty
    belief in an afterlife

2. trust: confidence that somebody or something is good or will be effective
    belief in democracy

3. something that somebody believes in: a statement, principle, or doctrine that a person or group accepts as true

4. opinion: an opinion, especially a firm and considered one

5. religious faith: faith in God or in a religion's gods
  11. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 02:01

[b]A disbelief.

If you break the word down, it literally means "without theism." Theism being a belief in a god, and the prefix 'a' meaning 'without.' Thus, an atheist is one without belief in a god. So I repeat: atheism is not a belief. It is the lack of belief.[/b]
    Consider the proposition G. It is the case that either G or ~G.

(1) If I have never been confronted with the question of G or ~G, I have no belief whatsoever; I would not say that I am agnostic: I would say that I am ignorant of the case.

(2) If I am aware of the case, but have insufficient evidence to make a decision either way then I remain agnostic on the question. Remaining agnostic here seems to me to be a kind of 50-50 position, in the face of either lack of information or equipollent countervailing evidence.

(3) If one perceives sufficient positive evidence for ~G (relative to G), the one decides ~G on that basis (and that would seem to be the case of “strong atheism;” e.g., taking into account such “evidence” in terms of the problem of evil). A “strong” atheist is prepared to argue such evidence.

(3) The position of “weak atheism” does seem to involve a decision, even if a provisional one: in the face of insufficient evidence for G, I decide ~G.

Now, I don’t see the difference between (a) deciding to believe ~G, and (b) deciding to not believe (disbelieve) G, given the alternatives.

Sometimes, absence of evidence can be taken as evidence of absence. On the other hand, the ability to explain the cosmos without recourse to G (the “god of the gaps” question), would seem to provide at least some semblance of evidence in favor of ~G —which may explain why that very question, in terms of such things as the foundations of science and morality, seems to be a major battleground on here. (Recognizing that, here, G may be seen as an extraordinary claim that needs extraordinary evidence in its support.)

I’m starting to think that the distinction simply rests on explanatory statements of the reasons for the decision of ~G—i.e., insufficient weighting of the relative evidence to reasonably decide G, as opposed to perceiving sufficient positive evidence against G. (This may go to the “burden of proof” question, as well.) Thus there is no real “category” difference between a “weak” and a “strong” atheist, in that both have made the decision ~G.

In terms of the ongoing argument between you and Dr. S. on this, I think that he is correct in terms of ~G not being the absence of a decision; on the other hand, I see your position, based on insufficiency of evidence for G, as opposed to a “strong” argument based on positive evidence for ~G, as having some explanatory relevance.

Clearly, however, you think that the evidentiary situation is one that allows you the decision: ~G. I find that to be qualitatively different from the situation of (1) above. That is, yours is an atheism that has been informed of the options and examined them; not that of the person who has never been so informed.
  12. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 03:38
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Consider the proposition G. It is the case that either G or ~G.

(1) If I have never been confronted with the question of G or ~G, I have no belief whatsoever; I would not say that I am agnostic: I would say that I am ignorant of the case.

(2) If I am aware of the case, but have insufficient evidence to make a decision either way then I rema ...[text shortened]... nformed of the options and examined them; not that of the person who has never been so informed.
    Someone who has never heard of god, or is otherwise ignorant of god, is an implicit atheist. Someone who has heard of god and does not believe it is an explicit atheist. All newborns are implicit atheists. They are later taught about god and can either accept it and become theists or they can become explicit atheists. Someone who is raised with no information about god whatsoever would remain an implicit atheist.

I do not have a belief about the existence of god. I have absolutely no way of knowing if a god exists. As the theist has failed miserably to provide any convincing evidence for his claims, I must assume that there is no god, and I will act accordingly. But I will never claim to know that there is no god, or 'believe' in the non-existence of god. To do so would be folly. In the case of strong atheist, they are only strong atheists in relation to a very narrow and specific definition of god, i.e. the Christian God of the bible. They are necessarily weak atheists in relation to the broader concept of god (or gods) with a lower case 'g'. I do not take absence of evidence to be evidence of absence in this particular case. It is simply absence of evidence, which is quite sufficient to warrant atheism.

I do not accept that agnosticism is an independent category, separate from atheism or theism. I maintain that so called agnostics are either agnostic atheists or agnostic theists. You either believe in god or you don't. If you're not a theist then you are without theism, and therefore an atheist. The term 'agnosticism' only came into vogue with the incredibly popular falsehood that atheists have a dogmatic belief in the non-existence of god.
  13. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 03:481 edit

I do not have a belief about the existence of god.
    Do you think that it is more likely that God does exist, or more likely that God does not exist, or that the two cases are equally likely?
  14. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 04:01

atheist [noun] someone who believes that God or gods do not exist.

agnostic [noun] someone who does not know, or believes that it is impossible to know, whether a god exists.

Are most self-proclaimed "atheists" here, truly "agnostics"? From where I sit, it seems that an atheist would require a similar amount of unproven faith as a theist ...[text shortened]... d.

If you are truly an atheist, what do you see as "proof" of the non-existence of God?
    Actually, it's the agnostic position which is untennable.

If you believe in God, you're a theist.

If you don't, you're an atheist.

There is no middle ground, no one "kinda" believes in God. They either do, or they don't.
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 04:082 edits
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Actually, it's the agnostic position which is untennable.

If you believe in God, you're a theist.

If you don't, you're an atheist.

There is no middle ground, no one "kinda" believes in God. They either do, or they don't.
    So you only see the first two as valid positions:

X is true
    X is not true
    X is unknown
    X is unknowable

That's an interesting perspective you have there. Does this only apply to God or to everything?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree