avoided too. 🙂
    Kelly
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 04:21
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Actually, it's the agnostic position which is untennable.

If you believe in God, you're a theist.

If you don't, you're an atheist.

There is no middle ground, no one "kinda" believes in God. They either do, or they don't.
    We agree, imagine that! 🙂
    Kelly
  3. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 04:27
    If agnosticism is defined in terms of “Pyrrhonic” skepticism (ala Sextus Empiricus), it would be an intellectually valid position when arguments for and against are seen as equipollent, making it reasonable to suspend judgment. “I don’t know” is an intellectually honest answer.

Different folks will, of course, under any given definition of G, argue about the merit of such arguments.

Pragmatically, such a “Sextian” agnostic would likely conduct their lives in the same way as a weak atheist—i.e., as if ~G.
  4. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 04:30
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    So you only see the first two as valid positions:

X is true
    X is not true
    X is unknown
    X is unknowable

That's an interesting perspective you have there.
    No, all four are tenable in terms of something which is knowable in a factual manner. However, that's not what we're talking about, we're actually discussing an opinion. And a person may say "we can never know", but they actually either hold sway on either "I believe" or "I don't believe".
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 04:33
    Originally posted by vistesd
    If agnosticism is defined in terms of “Pyrrhonic” skepticism (ala Sextus Empiricus), it would be an intellectually valid position when arguments for and against are seen as equipollent, making it reasonable to suspend judgment. “I don’t know” is an intellectually honest answer.

Different folks will, of course, under any given definition of G, argue about ...[text shortened]... ian” agnostic would likely conduct their lives in the same way as a weak atheist—i.e., as if ~G.
    So what is the difference between how a weak atheist and a weak
    theist if you can have one or the other in terms of how they act?
    Kelly
  6. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 04:57
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    So what is the difference between how a weak atheist and a weak
    theist if you can have one or the other in terms of how they act?
    Kelly
    I never heard the phrase “weak theist.” I am imagining that that would be someone who chooses to believe in a god simply because there is no sufficient evidence for there being no god (small “g” for generality)? That would seem to mean—contra rwingett—that people are born as implicit theists?

Or do you mean that a skeptic/agnostic such as I described might choose to live as if there were god(s). Sextus, I think, allowed for such skeptics to engage in religious rituals and practices for pragmatic reasons—social, aesthetic, etc.—but that would still be absent any belief commitment at all.

This kind of skeptic does not say, “I doubt that G”—he says, “It can be argued either way sufficiently that I suspend judgment.” In terms of belief about philosophical and religious questions, the “Sextian” skeptic lives in a mode of continuing inquiry.
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 05:021 edit
    No, all four are tenable in terms of something which is knowable in a factual manner. However, that's not what we're talking about, we're actually discussing an opinion. And a person may say "we can never know", but they actually either hold sway on either "I believe" or "I don't believe".
    Nice try. So you're saying that "I don't know" is not a valid position for anything that is not knowable in a factual manner? You might want to rethink this.
  8. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 05:07
    Nice try.
    Why only "nice try"?

The theist no more "knows" that God exists than the atheist "knows" he doesn't. It's belief, not factual knowledge. I know my kitchen sink exists. I don't need to believe in it. I can go up and look at it and touch it, I can feel the cold metal.

No-one can do that with God. He's undetectable.

All we are left with is belief. Belief cannot be "don't know", you either believe, or you don't.
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 05:131 edit
    Why only "nice try"?

The theist no more "knows" that God exists than the atheist "knows" he doesn't. It's belief, not factual knowledge. I know my kitchen sink exists. I don't need to believe in it. I can go up and look at it and touch it, I can feel the cold metal.

No-one can do that with God. He's undetectable.

All we are left with is belief. Belief cannot be "don't know", you either believe, or you don't.
    Mostly because I was at a loss for words 🙂 If anything is untenable, it's your position on this.

Sorry, but it's my belief that this is unknowable.
  10. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 05:24
    Mostly because I was at a loss for words 🙂 If anything is untenable, it's your position on this.

Sorry, but it's my belief that this is unknowable.
    UnKNOWable, yes.

Unbelieveable? I'd say "yes" to that too. I suspect your position would be different to mine.
  11. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 05:271 edit
    Nice try. So you're saying that "I don't know" is not a valid position for anything that is not knowable in a factual manner? You might want to rethink this.
    G or ~G. If one honestly says the answer is unknowable, one is still going to live as if either G or ~G.

To use rwingett’s phrases: if one finds the arguments both for and against G to be insufficient, relative to one another, to make an explicit intellectual decision, one might honestly say, “I don’t know.” Explicitly they are an agnostic/skeptic. Implicitly, however, they will act as if either G or ~G. They will either pray to a god, or they won’t; they will act out of the possibility for an individual after-life, or they won’t; etc., etc.

Intellectually, I think there are conditions under which the claim of agnosticism (“I don’t know” ) can be a valid one. Pragmatically, either theism or atheism “holds sway” (as Scotty put it) in how they live their lives.

EDIT: Saw Scotty's post re knowing versus believing. As an assent to a proposition (either G or ~G) I think we're saying pretty much the same thing. One de facto either chooses to believe or not believe, in the case of an unknowable. That is, by how I live my life, I am either assenting to the proposition G, or I am not.
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 05:281 edit
    UnKNOWable, yes.

Unbelieveable? I'd say "yes" to that too. I suspect your position would be different to mine.
    You're right. It is different than yours. It's like the following.

agnostic [noun] someone who does not know, or believes that it is impossible to know, whether a god exists.

Think OUTSIDE the box 🙂
  13. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 05:29
    You're right. It is different than yours. It's like the following.

agnostic [noun] someone who does not know, or believes that it is impossible to know, whether a god exists.
    By that definition, everyone is an agnostic, there are no other positions.
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 05:35
    By that definition, everyone is an agnostic, there are no other positions.
    I don't believe that that's true either. People believe what they believe.

Some believe that God exists.
    Some believe that God doesn't exist.
    Some don't know if God exists.
    Some believe that the existence of God is unknowable.

Go figure.
  15. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 05:381 edit
    I don't believe that that's true either. People believe what they believe.

Some believe that God exists.
    Some believe that God doesn't exist.
    Some don't know if God exists.
    Some believe that the existence of God is unknowable.

Go figure.
    Now you are coming back to belief again!

Belief and factual knowledge are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS!

[edit; the definition talked of factual knowledge, not belief.]

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree