1. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    17 May '08 17:08
    Originally posted by CalJust
    Humour me: where do the "spirits" that these "spiritual atheists" believe in, come from or relate to??
    What if I educate you instead. If an atheist works in a food bank or helps the homeless or abused or spends an afternoon helping their kid learn to fly a kite, is this not a spiritual quality? Jesus Christ, does everyone of have to sing "Amazing Grace"?
  2. weedhopper
    Moves
    17 May '08 19:20
    Point one--It's okay to equate Christianity with spirituality. We are part of Western Civ, and that happens to be what the vast majority are talking about when they think of spirituality, religion, etc. So let's get that out of the way at the start.
    Point two--Someone pointed out that atheists are insecure. I agree. Listen to one, (Bill Maher is a good example, though no one speaks for all the members of aany group) for more than 10 minutes and it's clear he's scared ----less. Atheists are like anyone else--they need something to believe in just as much as the next person.
    Point three--someone pointed out the reverse side of this coin; some Christians DO try to slam atheists in the Science forum. But to lump "creationists, IDers",young earthers, etc. together with all Christians is a fallacy. I know, because I'm a Christian evolutionist,
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    17 May '08 19:43
    "theist" : believe-in-a-god

"a-theist" : not-believe-in-a-god

Not really rocket science, is it?!
    And you're obviously no rocket scientist. This completely fails to make your case because, remember, you claimed that atheists by definition do not believe in spirituality. You didn't merely make the less controversial assertion that atheists by definition lack belief in a god or gods. So are you really too dense to understand what I was asking? Now I would like to know what bizarre, provincial definition of spirituality you are using.
  4. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    17 May '08 20:30
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    Point one--It's okay to equate Christianity with spirituality. We are part of Western Civ, and that happens to be what the vast majority are talking about when they think of spirituality, religion, etc. So let's get that out of the way at the start.
    Point two--Someone pointed out that atheists are insecure. I agree. Listen to one, (Bill Maher is a goo ...[text shortened]... together with all Christians is a fallacy. I know, because I'm a Christian evolutionist,
    I'll take issue with your first two points. Spirituality and Christianity are not the same thing. There is Jewish spirituality. Does that make it the same thing as Christian spirituality. Of course not.

Being an atheist does not make one insecure. The most insecure people I know are pentecostals. They are also the most fervent Christians I know. Insecurity is more a term of one's psychological state than anything else.
  5. weedhopper
    Moves
    17 May '08 23:00
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I'll take issue with your first two points. Spirituality and Christianity are not the same thing. There is Jewish spirituality. Does that make it the same thing as Christian spirituality. Of course not.

Being an atheist does not make one insecure. The most insecure people I know are pentecostals. They are also the most fervent Christians I know. Insecurity is more a term of one's psychological state than anything else.
    Reasonable points. I don't agree, but reasonable nonetheless ๐Ÿ˜€
  6. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    18 May '08 01:38
    Reasonable points. I don't agree, but reasonable nonetheless ๐Ÿ˜€
    Words are fascinating to me. It seems rather simple to link the two words "spirituality" and "Christianity" together. Christians like to think of themselves as spiritual people. Indeed many are. But so are many people in AA who would not consider themselves to be Christians. In fact, many of them are like people in the general public who have been wounded by so-called spirituality.

Let's say I use the word "whitey" and someone takes offense to it because to them it has some racial meaning. What if I'm talking about Whitey Ford the great baseball pitcher. Are these two the same thing? One of the amusing things to me on this site is that there have been several occasions where I have tried to write the name of a classical guitar performer and I am unable to write his name as there are four letters in the middle of his last name that automatically get moderated.
  7. weedhopper
    Moves
    18 May '08 04:16
    Words are fascinating to me. It seems rather simple to link the two words "spirituality" and "Christianity" together. Christians like to think of themselves as spiritual people. Indeed many are. But so are many people in AA who would not consider themselves to be Christians. In fact, many of them are like people in the general public who have been wo ...[text shortened]... there are four letters in the middle of his last name that automatically get moderated.
    I've seen other posts that mentioned that problem and I don't understand the moderating system at all. I've thrown every word in Carlin's vocabulary out there (before I recently turned over a new leaf and decided to be a little bit mature ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) and I've never been censored. Is it a recent phenomenon? Are you on some kind of Moderators Watch List? ๐Ÿ˜‰ I'm at a loss.
  8. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    18 May '08 05:28
    Someone pointed out that atheists are insecure. I agree. Listen to one, (Bill Maher is a good example, though no one speaks for all the members of aany group) for more than 10 minutes and it's clear he's scared ----less. Atheists are like anyone else--they need something to believe in just as much as the next person.
    I'm not scared.

I'm not deluding myself either though.
  9. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulรคrer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    18 May '08 05:33
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    I'm not scared.

I'm not deluding myself either though.
    How would you know if you were?
  10. weedhopper
    Moves
    18 May '08 16:19
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    How would you know if you were?
    VERY good. Point----The Bosse Man
  11. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    18 May '08 16:27
    If an atheist works in a food bank or helps the homeless or abused or spends an afternoon helping their kid learn to fly a kite, is this not a spiritual quality?
    Actually, no. It may be charitable, philantropic, loving and kind, but certainly not spiritual, as is implied in the title of this thread. Unless, of course, by your actions you hope to get some reward in an afterlife??
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 May '08 16:30
    "theist" : believe-in-a-god

"a-theist" : not-believe-in-a-god

Not really rocket science, is it?!
    You are right in this assumption.

However, there is a major religion that don't belive in any god and therefore is a atheistic religion. (Do you know which?)

To be atheist is not to be non-spiritual.
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    18 May '08 16:48
    So, what you are actually saying is that you are tilting at windmills, or are something of a masochist?
    ๐Ÿ˜‰
    No, I'm throwing rocks at the sleeping dragon and then running away before it gets up, thus annoying it slightly and making it a bit more vulnerable to real challenges. It's entertaining and not at all painful.
  14. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    18 May '08 17:59
    Actually, no. It may be charitable, philantropic, loving and kind, but certainly not spiritual, as is implied in the title of this thread. Unless, of course, by your actions you hope to get some reward in an afterlife??
    Lord Almighty! What kinda church you go to?

See here's a real man of the faith. He feeds the poor and clothes the naked. If it ain't chuuch, it ain't church. Know what I'm sayin?

http://astore.amazon.com/clubbishopbooks-20/images/053310873X/102-7410737-8907319
  15. Joined
    31 Dec '07
    Moves
    19 May '08 01:06
    Here is a puzzle I have been pondering for some time: How come there are so many atheists on this particular forum trying to denigrate or dissuade theists from their beliefs?

Consider this: go into any newspaper or magazine shop and you will find many different titles to please all tastes. For example, Bicycle racing mags or Boxing mags. Now, I for one ha ...[text shortened]... test too much?? Are these theists secretly doubting their own convictions??

In peace

CJ
    The bard actually wrote "The lady doth protest too much methinks"
    Can't help wondering if you also misquote your bible so blatantly when trying to make a point that seems convenient to you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree