1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    20 Aug '10 10:04
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    “There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way'" -C.S. Lewis.

Home run? Or still swinging like a rusty gate?
    0 balls... 2 strikes (even though Lewis' "Mere Christianity"

blew me away decades ago). Hint: lesser known author.

2. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    21 Aug '10 10:04
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    0 balls... 2 strikes (even though Lewis' "Mere Christianity"

blew me away decades ago). Hint: lesser known author.

Hero or zero time.

[i]"If God didn't exist, what possible difference would it make whether or not people put their faith in Him?" -JV
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    21 Aug '10 10:142 edits

Hero or zero time.

"If God didn't exist, what possible difference would it make whether or not people put their faith in Him?" -JV
    Good swing and a foul tip. Count is still 0 balls... 2 strikes. It's the bottom of the 9th bases

loaded with 2 outs. Step up Casey. Sold out rhp park crowd (of at least one) is cheering!

4. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    21 Aug '10 10:402 edits
    Hero or zero time.

[i]"If God didn't exist, what possible difference would it make whether or not people put their faith in Him?" -JV
    "If God didn't exist, what possible difference would it make whether or not people put their faith in Him?"

[/i]I can answer that question: the "difference" it would make is whether or not people will make themselves completely delusional and believe in a pure fantasy world rather than be strong and brave enough in mind to just learn to accept the uncomfortable truth as the truth.
  5. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    21 Aug '10 11:34
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Good swing and a foul tip. Count is still 0 balls... 2 strikes. It's the bottom of the 9th bases

loaded with 2 outs. Step up Casey. Sold out rhp park crowd (of at least one) is cheering!

The last swing from me -

'There's a hole in the heart of man in the shape of God. If I believe in the risen Christ and it's just an artful falsehood, there is nothing to lose. If true, then I have everything to gain.' Pascal
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    21 Aug '10 13:11
    The last swing from me -

'There's a hole in the heart of man in the shape of God. If I believe in the risen Christ and it's just an artful falsehood, there is nothing to lose. If true, then I have everything to gain.' Pascal
    Last one's my fav, "The truth will set you free but first it will piss you off." -M. Pancoast

Clearly your're a gentleman and scholar, durable competitor and all around good sport.

Found our playful in the moment ballgame enjoyable. I'm taking 24 hours off. Thanks.

.....................................................................................
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    21 Aug '10 13:211 edit
    Postcript for Proper Knob: This one's my favorite from your personal RHP Profile:

"The complex and many-faceted only confuses me, and I must search for unity. What is it, this one thing, and how do I find my way to it? Traces of this perfect thing appear in many guises — and everything that is unimportant falls away. Tintinnabulation is like this. Here I am alone with silence. I have discovered that it is enough when a single note is beautifully played. This one note, or a silent beat, or a moment of silence, comforts me." -Arvo Pärt

..................................................................................
  8. Joined
    10 Jul '07
    Moves
    23 Aug '10 13:50
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Mike Warnke was allegedly a former Satanic high priest who wrote a book about his experiences that propelled him to a big career in evangelism. Your experiences reminded me of his story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Warnke
    Thank You for that answer, you've always respectful within our chart. I enjoyed our talks. The chatting is not for tho, I'm a face to face person, also I seldom see agreements reached here in this forum, when opposite views are discussed. The Bible does state you should not argue the Word(Bible). I see why now, it really gets you no where. It also states "The letter killth, but the Spirit gives it life. Meaning, unless you heart is willing to accept the Word, the words are dead to you. Can't debate with someone, when the words I use are dead to them. I am excluding you from these comments. I don't know your beliefs, but I could talk to you. You spoke as if you weren't trying to prove a point, rather talking (building) as we say here, learning or showing intersest in the subject at hand. Thank you nice chatting, I won't return to this subject. Feel free to play me in chess.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Aug '10 04:45
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    "If God didn't exist, what possible difference would it make whether or not people put their faith in Him?"

[/i]I can answer that question: the "difference" it would make is whether or not people will make themselves completely delusional and believe in a pure fantasy world rather than be strong and brave enough in mind to just learn to accept the uncomfortable truth as the truth.
    Good answer!

Although I presume you separate the sides in your sentence as Christian/Atheist, certainly even you can see that the Christian could see it as Atheist/Christian, and it would make just as much sense to them.
  10. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    30 Aug '10 09:573 edits
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Good answer!

Although I presume you separate the sides in your sentence as Christian/Atheist, certainly even you can see that the Christian could see it as Atheist/Christian, and it would make just as much sense to them.
    So you are saying that from the Christian’s perspective, what I refer to as the “uncomfortable” truth is in fact the “truth” that there really is a supernatural God (and, I presume an afterlife to go with that)?

-sorry, it doesn’t work the other way around; there is nothing “uncomfortable” about the belief that there is a God –the exact opposite is in fact is true ESPECIALLLY if it comes with the side-benefit of a assumed afterlife.

Christians generally believe that is a God because they WANT that to be true (excluding those that are totally uneducated in just about anything else excluding their religion)
    Atheists, like myself, believe that is NO God DISPITE NOT WANTING that to be true because to believe that there is a God because you WANT it to be true is illogical and no less logical than believing that there is a Santa because you WANT it to be true.

Why would I WANT there to be NO God? - ESPECIALLLY if it comes with the side-benefit of an afterlife!!!? –why on earth would I not want an afterlife!?

In addition, how can you say that from the Christian’s perspective, what I refer to as the “a pure fantasy world” is in fact the “pure fantasy world” of there being NO God? –I mean, that’s not the presents of a picture of a world but its absence! –let me put it another way; if I believe that there exists a land of fairies then that could be a “pure fantasy world”; but, if I believe that there does NOT exist that land of fairies then could that belief in the ABSENCE of that world constitute a “pure fantasy world”? –that doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree