1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Apr '16 09:371 edit
    Ballad of the Goodly Fere (Fere = Mate, Companion)

"SIMON Zelotes speaketh it somewhile after the Crucifixion Ha' we lost the goodliest fere o' all For the priests and the gallows tree? Aye lover he was of brawny men, O' ships and the open sea.

When they came wi' a host to take Our Man His smile was good to see, "First let these go!" quo' our Goodly Fere, "Or I'll see ye damned," says he.

Aye he sent us out through the crossed high spears And the scorn of his laugh rang free, "Why took ye not me when I walked about Alone in the town?" says he.

Oh we drunk his "Hale" in the good red wine When we last made company, No capon priest was the Goodly Fere But a man o' men was he.

I ha' seen him drive a hundred men Wi' a bundle o' cords swung free, That they took the high and holy house For their pawn and treasury.

They'ss no' get him a' in a book I think Though they write it cunningly; No mouse of the scrolls was the Goodly Fere But aye loved the open sea.

If they think they ha' snared our Goodly Fere They are fools to the last degree. "I'll go to the feast," quo' our Goodly Fere, "Though I go to the gallows tree."

"Ye ha' seen me heal the lame and blind, And wake the dead," says he, "Ye shall see one thing to master all: 'Tis how a brave man dies on the tree."

A son of God was the Goodly Fere That bade us his brothers be. I ha' seen him cow a thousand men. I have seen him upon the tree.

He cried no cry when they drave the nails And the blood gushed hot and free, The hounds of the crimson sky gave tongue But never a cry cried he.

I ha' seen him cow a thousand men On the hills o' Galilee, They whined as he walked out calm between, Wi' his eyes like the grey o' the sea,

Like the sea that brooks no voyaging With the winds unleashed and free, Like the sea he cowed at Genseret Wi' twey words spoke' suddently.

A master of men was the Goodly Fere, A mate of the wind and sea, If they think they ha' slain our Goodly Fere They are fools eternally.

I ha' seen him eat o' the honey-comb Sin' they nailed him to the tree." (Ezra Pound) http://www.theotherpages.org/poems/pound01.html

Request: Your thoughts regarding the undiminished deity and perfect humanity of the Lord Jesus Christ during His 1st Advent prior to the Crucifixion at Golgotha Hill to propitiate [satisfy] God the Father's Divine Justice and Righteousness in order to reconcile depraved mankind unto Himself by offering the grace gift [absolutely free] of salvation and eternal life? (Please see John 3:16 -18)
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Apr '16 11:401 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Ballad of the Goodly Fere (Fere = Mate, Companion)

"SIMON Zelotes speaketh it somewhile after the Crucifixion Ha' we lost the goodliest fere o' all For the priests and the gallows tree? Aye lover he was of brawny men, O' ships and the open sea.

When they came wi' a host to take Our Man His smile was good to see, "First let these go!" quo' ...[text shortened]... ering the grace gift [absolutely free] of salvation and eternal life? (Please see John 3:16 -18)[/b]
    When you respond to on-topic questions in the other threads you start people may feel inclined to enter into discourse in this one. Just an idea...
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Apr '16 11:41
    Originally posted by divegeester
    When you respond to on-topic questions in the other threads you start people may feel inclined to enter into discourse in this one. Just an idea...
    still on Bobbys trail deputyjeester
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Apr '16 11:47
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Yes, still trying to encourage him to come out from behind his copy/pastes and actually engage in discussion about the topics he raises.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Apr '16 11:47
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Do you think Grampy bobby is actually not very well informed and he is frightened of being found out?
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Apr '16 12:02
    Request: Your thoughts regarding .....
    Nonsense remains nonsense whether wrapped up in poetry or fancy words.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Apr '16 12:48
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Nonsense remains nonsense whether wrapped up in poetry or fancy words.
    "Nonsense remains nonsense..." in what regard?
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Apr '16 13:48
    In that the alleged nonsense was nonsense in its original format and once transposed into a more embellished format, it remains nonsense. In that regard.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '16 13:49
    Originally posted by divegeester
    In that the alleged nonsense was nonsense in its original format and once transposed into a more embellished format, it remains nonsense. In that regard.
    Even if you capitalize nonsense ~ thus: Nonsense ~ it's still nonsense. 😉
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Apr '16 15:11
    Originally posted by FMF
    Even if you capitalize nonsense ~ thus: Nonsense ~ it's still nonsense. 😉
    If you spell it backwards it's Esnesnon, is it still nonsense?
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Apr '16 19:44
    Did you understand the poem?

Did you understand what you wrote after the poem?

Did you not understand my post?
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Apr '16 23:22
    Request: Your thoughts regarding the undiminished deity and perfect humanity of the Lord Jesus Christ during His 1st Advent prior to the Crucifixion at Golgotha Hill to propitiate [satisfy] God the Father's Divine Justice and Righteousness in order to reconcile depraved mankind unto Himself by offering the grace gift [absolutely free] of salvation and eternal life? (Please see John 3:16 -18) [Original Post]
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '16 23:52
    [b]Request: Your thoughts regarding the undiminished deity and perfect humanity of the Lord Jesus Christ during His 1st Advent prior to the Crucifixion at Golgotha Hill to propitiate [satisfy] God the Father's Divine Justice and Righteousness in order to reconcile depraved mankind unto Himself by offering the grace gift [absolutely free] of salvation and eternal life? (Please see John 3:16 -18) [Original Post][/b]
    What are your thoughts regarding the portentous sounding text you typed under the copy pasted material in the OP?
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    12 Apr '16 03:421 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (OP)
    Ballad of the Goodly Fere (Fere = Mate, Companion)

When they came wi' a host to take Our Man His smile was good to see, "First let these go!" quo ...[text shortened]... offering the grace gift [absolutely free] of salvation and eternal life? (Please see John 3:16 -18)
    "From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

The Ballad of the Goodly Fere is a poem by Ezra Pound, first published in 1909. The narrator is Simon Zelotes, speaking after the Crucifixion about his memories of Jesus (the "goodly fere" — Old English for "companion" — of the title).

Pound wrote the poem as a direct response to what he considered inappropriately effeminate portrayals of Jesus, comparing Jesus — a "man o' men" — to "capon priest(s)";[1] he subsequently told T.P.'s Weekly that he had "been made very angry by a certain sort of cheap irreverence".[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballad_of_the_Goodly_Fere
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Apr '16 07:091 edit
    [b]Request: Your thoughts regarding the undiminished deity and perfect humanity of the Lord Jesus Christ during His 1st Advent prior to the Crucifixion at Golgotha Hill to propitiate [satisfy] God the Father's Divine Justice and Righteousness in order to reconcile depraved mankind unto Himself by offering the grace gift [absolutely free] of salvation and eternal life? (Please see John 3:16 -18) [Original Post][/b]
    Error

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree