1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Jan '13 06:15
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Women have very minimal rights, unfortunately, in most of the world.
    Would you describe women's rights in Indonesia as "very minimal"?
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    14 Jan '13 06:421 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Would you describe women's rights in Indonesia as "very minimal"?
    Question for clarification.

Caption: "Acehnese women sit straddling on their motorcycles in Indonesia's Aceh province."

If you look at the photo attached to this caption, there is only one woman passenger straddling. The other woman passenger is side saddle. There appear to be woman drivers. So are these woman drivers straddling? If so, it means women cannot be drivers under this law. Again, I am asking for clarification only.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/1311868--women-s-rights-hit-roadblock-in-indonesia
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Jan '13 07:48
    Originally posted by JS357
    If you look at the photo attached to this caption, there is only one woman passenger straddling. The other woman passenger is side saddle. There appear to be woman drivers. So are these woman drivers straddling? If so, it means women cannot be drivers under this law. Again, I am asking for clarification only.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/1311868--women-s-rights-hit-roadblock-in-indonesia
    I have never heard of any objection raised to a woman driving a motorcycle, or at least if it's not a 'man's motorbike' [i.e. with the petrol tank between the handlebars and seat, in which case, it may be frowned up on in strongly conservative places, regardless of religion]. The straddling-sidesaddle issue on the kinds of bikes seen in the photo at your link relates only to the person riding pillion. So there's nothing amiss, so to speak, with the women in the red and white helmets - they are driving and there's nothing between their legs [as the Bishop said about the Actresses 😵 ] - but it is the schoolgirl in the light blue skirt who is sitting 'correctly' and the one in the black helmet and black trousers who would presumably be falling foul of the Lhokseumawe bye law.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Jan '13 11:18
    Originally posted by FMF
    I have never heard of any objection raised to a woman driving a motorcycle, or at least if it's not a 'man's motorbike' [i.e. with the petrol tank between the handlebars and seat, in which case, it may be frowned up on in strongly conservative places, regardless of religion]. The straddling-sidesaddle issue on the kinds of bikes seen in the photo at your link re ...[text shortened]... lmet and black trousers who would presumably be falling foul of the Lhokseumawe bye law.
    There you go. Women under complete control of men. It's disgusting actually. It's a civil rights issue. NOBODY should be under the control of ANYONE.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Jan '13 20:00
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    There you go. Women under complete control of men. It's disgusting actually. It's a civil rights issue. NOBODY should be under the control of ANYONE.
    You would describe this situation as "women under complete control of men"?
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    14 Jan '13 20:18
    Originally posted by FMF
    I have never heard of any objection raised to a woman driving a motorcycle, or at least if it's not a 'man's motorbike' [i.e. with the petrol tank between the handlebars and seat, in which case, it may be frowned up on in strongly conservative places, regardless of religion]. The straddling-sidesaddle issue on the kinds of bikes seen in the photo at your link re ...[text shortened]... lmet and black trousers who would presumably be falling foul of the Lhokseumawe bye law.
    OK thanks. It would not surprise me if females wearing pants (which might be the causal difference in the photo) are also looked at with some disapproval, but I don't know that.
  7. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jan '13 16:24
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b]Indonesia city to ban women 'straddling motorbikes'

[quote]A city in the Indonesian province of Aceh which follows Sharia has ordered female passengers not to straddle motorbikes behind male drivers.

Suaidi Yahya, mayor of Lhokseumawe, says it aims to save people's "morals and behaviours".

Leaflets have been sent out to government offices and res ...[text shortened]... piritually relevant at a local level? What should be the rights of dissenters?[/b]
    This is the absurdity of Islam.

Just like they wanted to cover up the pyramids as well.

Islam would have to be the greatest false relgion on earth.

The absurdity of it all.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Jan '13 16:57
    Originally posted by Dasa
    This is the absurdity of Islam.

Just like they wanted to cover up the pyramids as well.

Islam would have to be the greatest false relgion on earth.

The absurdity of it all.
    Of course the ultra-socially conservative bye law in Lhokseumawe is absurd. That is why I started the thread with it. Do you have an answer to the OP question? Here it is:

How can societies go about deciding how to/whether to regulate "morals and behaviours" that are culturally and spiritually relevant at a local level? What should be the rights of dissenters?
  9. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jan '13 21:391 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Of course the ultra-socially conservative bye law in Lhokseumawe is absurd. That is why I started the thread with it. Do you have an answer to the OP question? Here it is:

How can societies go about deciding how to/whether to regulate "morals and behaviours" that are culturally and spiritually relevant at a local level? What should be the rights of dissenters?
    They would have to follow true relgion.

True relgion will teach the people why they are to be moral in the first place.

When people understand why they should be moral.............they are moral automatically without being supervised or policed.

Having legislative law to be moral does not work.

The Christians have had the law "Thou Shalt Not Kill"" for 2000 yrs ......and since that time there has been trillions of people being killed.

This shows you that having a law about morals does not work.

Morals come form the heart,

The more the heart is pure the more the person is moral.

And true purity comes from True religion found in the Vedas.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Jan '13 23:18
    Originally posted by Dasa
    They would have to follow true relgion.

True relgion will teach the people why they are to be moral in the first place.

When people understand why they should be moral.............they are moral automatically without being supervised or policed.

Having legislative law to be moral does not work.
    You don't seem to have understood the question. Here it is again:

So take for example - socially acceptable clothing for children, for men and for women, including nudity. How would a Vedic community decide on what was acceptable and what action would be taken against those who did not comply with the code or traditions? What would be the mechanism to make the decisions that reflect the attitude and will of the community in a matter such as this?
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Jan '13 03:271 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    You don't seem to have understood the question. Here it is again:

So take for example - socially acceptable clothing for children, for men and for women, including nud ...[text shortened]... e the decisions that reflect the attitude and will of the community in a matter such as this?
    The strict Muslim would cut their heads off.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree